Jane Street Internship Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Internship Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.8

Internship Interview

Interview

I got a nice interviewer who was very polite and patient. Sometimes I could not hear very well as he seemed to be on some busy trading floor. Got asked a lot of mental math questions which I found quite hard, e.g. 3 digit numbers to be multiplied. I then got asked what I thought was the probability that I had all my answers right. Then they asked some probability brainteaser questions.

Interview Questions

• 253*387 with no pen or paper or calculator   6 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

One puzzle followed by "do you have any questions". I did not see the puzzle online before. The interviewer seemed to be nice, but I was too nervous to answer well.

Interview Questions

• One hundred doors, one dollar after each door. Roll a one-hundred dice for one hundred times. You can take the dollar after the door whose number is rolled out. What's the expectation? Why?   6 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (Cambridge, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

They first came to my school and interviewed people there, at which we solved brain teasers and puzzles. The interview questions at this stage are mostly mathematical. After that, they will set up a phone interview in which they ask you some more questions about yourself as well as ask you to solve some more math problems.

Interview Questions

• They asked for an estimation question on a large-scale world problem   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Interview

Submitted online, got set up for a phone interview shortly thereafter. Interviewer was courteous. Asked me if I had any questions for him, and from there just jumped directly into the technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions were probability-based and straightforward for the most part. Most difficult part was the extensive mental math for certain questions (e.g. a Bayes equation one).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

They quickly responded after I submitted my application (about a week after) and booked an interview.
    Just one technical question which got "upgraded" multiple times. Whole interview lasted about an hour.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Highly maths based telephone interview

Interview Questions

• two dice to be rolled. two people guessing the outcome. is it best to go first or second? what should you guess? what are the chances of winning the game with that guess?   2 Answers

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process so far was standard. Jane Street stands out as a company that does not impose a fixed application deadline. I was required to upload a personal statement and a CV. References are not required.
    The second stage of the interview process was an automated online interview conducted via HackerRank.

Interview Questions

• You are given a ten sided die (values 1-10) and you are allowed to roll it either once or twice. After the first dice roll you note the score and have to make a decision whether you want to try a second roll or not. In case you decided to roll a second time you add the values from both dices to get your final score. If your score is less than or equal to 13 you will receive the equivalent amount in pounds as a payout. However if your score exceeds 13 you won't receive a payout.

Find the optimal strategy and explain how you arrived at your answer.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2018.

Interview

Was nice tbh, interviewers were kind and clear, currently in process. I applied and got through the first round, got e-mail soon after, thought I did well on that one. Second round not so sure, but I did get through.

Interview Questions

• 8 People in a room, everyone shakes hands with each other, calculate number of handshakes.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Telephone interviews that lead to in office interview. The interview was mainly testing math and probability knowledge, with plenty of brain teasers. There was no question about my background or anything like that.

Interview Questions

• Consider a list of all the integers from 0 to 1000000. What is the sum of all the digits of these numbers?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street in April 2011.

Interview

It was the initial telephone interview. I had a few mental arithmetic questions and some probability questions. The person interviewing was pretty nice. He asked about the confidence interval for my answer to the question.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to bid on a car which has a price uniformly distributed from 0 to 100. If I bid higher than the actual price, I can sell it with a price 1.5 times higher. Whats the bid that maxmizes the profit?   3 Answers