Jane Street Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.8

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in January 2018.

Interview

The first round has lots of hard math/probability problems. Then the next round was a codepen challenge where you had to solve the problem in front of them, live. I initially tried to do it in SML because that's the only functional programming language we learned in school, and I know Jane Street likes that stuff. But that was a big flop and completely unnecessary since I just ended up asking to do it in Python.

Interview Questions

• How to reduce the addresses in various ports. Like if you have ports = {"a": "12.x.y.3", "x": "4", y: "x.x"} you have to first replace y=x.x with y=4.4 since x=4. Then you have to replace a=12.x.y.3=12.4.4.4.3   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

phone interview. Called on time. Asked a question. I didn't answer well. They seemed really care about coding efficiency. They tend to test you on recursions because they use functional programming, but you definitely do not need to know any functional programming. They won't run the code. They will ask for time complexity of the code, so be prepared on that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

One call, one onsite which I flew to new york for. The new york trip was awesome as they paid for everything. Got let out after lunch tho :(. The questions are really tricky.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in April 2019.

Interview

I was contacted shortly after applying (a few days) for a phone screening. I went through the following processes:
    - 1hr phone interview with technical question
    - on-site interview (2 ~1.25 hr technical rounds, 30 min lunch, another 1.25 hr technical round). There are 2 interviewers per on-site round, one leading and one observing.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview was data structures/coding, with multiple parts/extensions to the question. On-site questions were more open ended problem solving, data structures and algorithms, multiple parts to each question.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online through their website. About 2-3 weeks later got an e-mail to schedule a phone interview.

Interviewer called on time, was obviously competent and questions were more or less relevant to the job.

Interview Questions

• Warm-up question: Simulate an n-sided fair dice using an m-sided fair dice where m<n. (With concrete numbers for m and n given.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Phone interview. Jumped straight into technical question about a simplified mock trading system. Live coding. Interviewer seemed distracted and could hear talking in the background. I felt like he was not really listening.

Interview Questions

• How would you build a mock trading system?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street in December 2018.

Interview

Applied online and they scheduled a phone interview. Skype and an online editor were used for communication.

The interviewer was very focused on the code that I was writing. He asked detailed questions about every design decision I made, from choosing a data structure to structuring an if statement. The code wasn't long but it was complicated.

Interview Questions

• Can't say the tasks but will explain some key points.

There was only one question wih two parts.
      First part is a standard software engineering question where you implement a simple function using the structures from the language library and argument why it is fast and easily maintainable.

The second part is harder. The function from the first part is used in a more complex algorithm where you need to supply a couple of other functions. The focus is on speed and you will probably need a custom data structure.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I received the task by email and was given 3 days to complete it. It was not hard, but I was not clear what they expected from me and therefore most of the time I've spent trying to understand what the task is

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Had one phone interview, friendly interviewer. Then I was invited for the onsite interview at Hong Kong. Had two interviews on that day, each interview has 2 interviewers present (one as the lead, the other as the participant). I couldn't answer the questions well, so in the end I didn't get an offer. But overall it was a great interview experience, learned a lot about the company, and I had a nice 2 days stay in Hong Kong.