Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 24, 2017

3.7

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

All math / probability based questions. It was enjoyable but difficult for somebody with my background. That being said, I did not pass the first round, so it wasn't that great after all.

Finance & Margin Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

The first step involves completing a number of Excel-based problems. The questions are straightforward and should be fairly easy to answer. The next step involves a phone interview in which one will be asked a few quantitative reasoning questions. While, in retrospect, these questions are not extremely difficult, I would recommend reading through Glassdoor to prepare for these questions as the interviewer will request that you answer them without writing any calculations/notes/etc. down.

Interview Questions

• What are the angles of the arms of a clock at ____ o'clock?   Answer Question

Trading Desk Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

They started by sending me a list of tasks to complete by excel. They gave me a few days and were very nice throughout the entire process. However, after submitting my results I was not called for another interview

Quantitative Trader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Jane Street in June 2017.

Interview

I went through a first round phone interview at JS. This was my first attempt at a quantitative trading interview so (not surprisingly) I failed it.

I set up the interview with one of their HR people. On the day that the interview was supposed to occur nobody called in. When I tried to check in with the HR person I learned that she had left the company! Scrambling, I contacted someone else, who set up an interview with someone later in the same day. During the interview itself I was constantly distracted by lunch chatter that was happening on the other end of the line. It would have been nice if the interviewer took the call in a quieter place. Maybe that's just how trading works and is an indication that I'm not fit to be a trader, which wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

Interview Questions

• They asked us not to share.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Wonderful people, difficult but intriguing questions, probably one of the most fun interviews I've had. Tests your probability intuition as well as quantitative intuition in general. Highly recommend interviewing !

Interview Questions

• expected value, betting question, question about apples along a road   Answer Question

Trading Desk Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied in February.
    Did a take home excel quiz that took about 20-30 minutes.
    Had phone interview with Recruiter where they asked same questions as ones posted.
    Received about take home assignment to do. This time with only VBA.
    Met with 2 pairs of people from Jane Street. They described different processes in their company and asked me how to optimize//check it.
    Fair interview but somehow it got disclosed to my company that I was interviewing at Jane Street (from an interviewer or the recruiter? Not sure who passed along that information) I was let go since then so I am rating the process down because they don't seem to keep your information confidential otherwise I'd say it was a good interview process.

Interview Questions

• Angle between minute and hour hand at different times.   1 Answer

Trade Desk Operations Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

On campus interview into a in person interview. Nothing special, it was pretty straightforward. Met with a recruiter, a trader, an operations person, a business dev person, and a software engineer.

Interview Questions

• Explained their structure, asked questions about it. And then also asked a simple coding question.   Answer Question

Operating Desk Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in April 2017.

Interview

First round is several excel questions. Been given several spreadsheets and asked to manipulate, utilizing excel in-built functions to solve problems, been asked respond within 2-3 days and get back to me really quick.

SEE Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in April 2017.

Interview

It's not a traditional interview, but more they ask you to solve a puzzle using any method. I first applied online, then they contacted me again that I moved onto the next step in the application process.

Interview Questions

• To solve a puzzle that involved allocating resources to 10 different districts.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Phone interviews with math questions. First interview was pretty easy and they invited me to a second interview. The second interviewer never called at the scheduled time. I had to email the recruiter to ask what happened - they were "busy" and forgot. We rescheduled, but I had lost my interest by then.