Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

3.7

Summer Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online for a research intern. However, I was transferred to trader intern. The HR contacts me through email to arrange a phone interview. I got to the second round phone interview. The problems are about probability.

Interview Questions

• Suppose two players are playing a game. The first player chose an integer between 1-30. The second player picks a different one. After that, a random integer (x) between 1-30 will be generated. The player whose number is closer to x get paid x dollars.
      Q: Would you go first or second? What number should you pick?   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Process was good. Was rejected at first, then they reached out to me again offering an interview. A couple of basic probability questions and one very hard probability question. Interviewer was nice / friendly, offered a hint and helped me walk through the last probability question.

Interview Questions

• Min number of people to guarantee at least 5 people share the same birthday month?   4 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. There are 5 rounds of interviews, and I am currently in the 3rd round. They ask a lot of mental maths problems, mostly coin flipping games. The interviewers were very friendly and I learned a lot during these interviews.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by recruiter. They have 3 rounds of phone interviews, one onsite. They didn't ask for much experience in finance, but are looking for general learning ability instead. I messed up a distribution question and didn't get the onsite invitation.

Interview Questions

• card game questions, how different distribution will affect expectation   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Three rounds of phone interviews, in which I was asked math questions of increasing difficulty. There was a large focus on probability and combinatorics, which most of the problems phrased as trying to determine the optimal strategy for a game; however, as I indicated that I come from a CS background I was also asked to design an algorithm to solve a problem with a good asymptotic runtime. The first and second round should be relatively easy for anyone that majored in a quantitative subject, especially math, physics, or computer science; the third was vastly harder- I was unable to answer the problem correctly without significant guidance, but passed this round nonetheless (presumably, they really do care about the nature of your thought process).

Interview Questions

• (Round 2) Suppose two players play a game where Player A, then Player B, picks an integer between 1 and 30. Then, a thirty-sided die is rolled. Whoever guessed closer to the value of the roll obtains an amount of money equal to the value of the roll from the other player.

Given the choice, do you decide to go first or second? What number do you choose? What is the expected value of this position?   3 Answers

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in January 2017.

Interview

Jane Street has a four round interview process, and the first three rounds are over the phone. I didn't get past the first round, but it was a very smooth process. Even though I didn't get the job, I thought it was very good practice for technical interviews that I will have in the future.

Jane Street wants people who can think on their feet. If that's you, you're in luck! If you blank out or are having a slow day, not so much.

I highly encourage applying! The interview is difficult, but the people at Jane Street and very helpful, willing to give tips, and open to questions.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the exact question, but one was along the line of: There is a man going up an escalator going a certain number of feet per minute. How many steps would he have to take in addition to the speed of the escalator to reach the top in a certain amount of time.

"I shuffle a deck of cards..." and then some combinatorics questions.   1 Answer

Quantitative Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

It takes 20-25 minutes to do this interview. Interviewer asked quite simple probability questions. She was on-time, smart, and very nice. This was first round. I had a very good experience. Today, I'm invited for the second round.

Interview Questions

• If we flip a coin 100 times, what is the probability of getting even number of heads?   3 Answers

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online at the beginning of the December. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.
    For now 3 rounds of phone interviews. Already share my last 2 rounds in another post. Short interview, last about 30 mins. Only a single long question in this interview.

Interview Questions

• 200 pieces of 1 dollar coins, for each one it has equal probability to go into the pot or not. You will bid for that pot (get the money in the pot but you don't know how many coins are exactly in the pot). Anyone who offers the highest bid win the auction. What would you bid (with 1 competitor, 10 competitors)? Now if just we two bid and we are trying our best strategy, but I have the advantage of knowing how many of the first 10 coins go into the pot. What will be our strategies? How much will you bid and what is your expected payoff?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Submitted an application, heard back the next day with an interview offer for a position other than the one I applied to. Did the interview anyway, was rejected shortly after.

Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website and was contacted within the week. They then offered my an alternative to the "normal" interview process with an online test. The online test was with HackerRank, and comprised of many expected value and combinatorics problems.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about taking things out of bags, expected value, prime number ordering, etc.   Answer Question