Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

3.7

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

First round is a phone interview. A trader at the firm will ask four or five brain-teaser questions. Interview took about an hour. The trader was very kind and patient and gave suggestions when I was stuck on a question. It seemed that the interviewer was testing how I responded to not immediately knowing the answer or the process.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Was asked if I wanted to take an online interview rather than a in person interview for first round. I elected to take the online interview. It was fairly easy, but I wasn't sure what to put down given the time constraints (a few slightly complex probability/expected value type questions in 30 minutes)

Trading Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied online, received an email and scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview took 30min. The interview was mainly about mental math and probability questions. It got harder and harder through the process. The trader that interviewed me was very nice. When I got stuck, he would give hints. This was the first round interview, I am still waiting for the feedback.

Trading Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

1 hour earlier phone call. The questions are all about the optimal bid for a bid problem. The interviewer cares more about the intuition about your result instead of the mathematical derivations. 3 more rounds may come around in the next few weeks. I think I have pretty well prepared, but I still got nervous mostly because this is my first time to do phone interview for intern/job.

Interview Questions

• Assume x dollar(uniformly from(0,1000)) is put into a blackbox. Then you bid on the amount. If x>bid, you get return 1.5x-bid; otherwies you get nothing. The question is what is the optimal bid. Several other different circumstances are also been asked.   2 Answers

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street in November 2016.

Interview

I applied for the software engineering intern position online, and received an email asking if I would like to be considered for a business development internship, to which I replied yes. The recruiter then sent me an easy Excel VBA exercise, which to my knowledge I complete fully and in a timely manner. I then received a message two days later saying they weren't moving forward.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

45 mins phone interview. Quite difficult. All questions are about the probability. I do think that I failed at the very beginning. He said that he would contact me very soon. But I didn't hear from them for a quite long time. Feel a little sad about the experience.

Interview Questions

• Flip the coins, the expected time to get HHT   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2016.

Interview

Placed in stand-by interview. Waited a month, and got a phone call for an hour.
    Nothing better to add to the pants of the process, but you had to code quickly and fast.
    Be able to be good at what you're good at, and be confident.
    Know Python, Java, how to recurse, how to talk to yourself and the most important thing is to be able to write safe and sound code. It doesn't matter if you finish quickly if it's buggy, because it's going to catch his attention and f you up even more later on when he actually picks it out and asks you to fix it.

Interview Questions

• Given a board with directions to follow in every block, how would you tell if you can ever reach point "x" or not.   2 Answers

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

They quickly responded after I submitted my application (about a week after) and booked an interview.
    Just one technical question which got "upgraded" multiple times. Whole interview lasted about an hour.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in November 2016.

Interview

Received a quantitative interview via a referral from a colleague. A recruiter reached out within a week and scheduled an interview for me with a trader. We went through a series of applied probability questions over the course of fifty minutes. The entire process was pretty reasonable, but I had not had time to brush up on probability tricks so I struggled.

Interview Questions

• What is the probability that a series of fair coin flips will have an even number of heads? What if the coins are not all fair (though a subset are)?   2 Answers

Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I took two rounds phone screen interviews with Jane Street. The people I talked to are pretty nice. They would guide you to understand the problems step by step. But they require you to react pretty quickly for answers, even if just guesses.

Interview Questions

• Probability and flipping coin games. Confidence interval is quite common thing they are interested   Answer Question