Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.7

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

phone interview. I applied online and waited for 2 weeks. Then HR from Hongkong office emailed me and offered the phone interview. Two weeks after the interview the HR sent an email and said the company could not offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• Unfair die of 12 faces. The number 11 has a chance of 40% while other faces are equally likely. If someone and you are playing a game and whoever is closer to the answer will win, what is your strategy? Do you start first or second?   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Had two phone round interviews, was dropped after the second. First was 5 short and quick probability questions, second was more in depth probability questions which were difficult for me because I have not taken any probability classes before, but not sure how difficult they would be for someone who has. Overall experience was definitely positive, always heard back within one or two business days.

Assistant Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website, they got back scheduling a phone interview within a couple of days. After that round, there was a second round phone interview, after which I was not selected to proceed to the next rounds. The interviewers were fairly friendly, though phone interviews with probability questions are a different experience than just solving questions; you are left to just answer questions against silence, and can't get any sort of immediate feedback while thinking aloud, which is a bit disconcerting. All in all, alright experience.

Interview Questions

• Look at others; they did the usual probability/combinatorics/logic type questions. Just know that it helps to do them fast--I solved the questions but probably not fast enough to advance.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street in October 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with some questions. Was not allowed to use paper and pencil. Had to talk through my thinking process. They did not give feedback if I was right or wrong.

Quantitative Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a follow up from a woman in HR in less than a week. We scheduled a phone interview and it was very casual but (expectedly) difficult. She was friendly and helped me work through some of the more difficult quantitative/brain-teaser problems. Did not end up getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• There are an unknown amount of people on a bus. After the first stop, three-quarters of them get off and 7 get on. This happens again a two more stops. After this process, what is the minimum amount of possible people that could be on the bus?   4 Answers

Trading Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

2 phone rounds + onsite (5 interviews of about 1 hour each); fit was only measured implicitly, most of the time was spent doing math questions. Two of the five onsite interviews were collaborative with the other person applying for the internship that day. Problems generally speaking had some sort of tricky edge/corner case to take into account; interviewers look for your ability to identify such cases and to be critical of your own first intuitions. Although there was no explicit fit portion of my interview, personality seems to be evaluated at least implicitly. Also key is keeping cool / staying calm yet not overconfident.

Interview Questions

• First round: standard brainteasers; after that, problems were more "real world" and lacked precise answers. Instead you have to be really good at estimating and coming up with reasonable explanations / justifications for your intuition.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus careers program and was given an on-campus interview. Interviewer was incredibly friendly, and helped you through some of the nuances of the problem. Was not given a second round interview unfortunately. They care about efficiency a lot in your answers.

Interview Questions

• Find length of shortest linked list given an array of linked lists. Amongst others.   2 Answers

Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and got an email within a week. I gave them my availability and got an interview within a week. My interviewer was really nice, but I don't think I did well at the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you select 5 random numbers that add up to 1   2 Answers

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume through campus recruiting. A 30 minutes interview on one probability (coin flipping) question. No behavioral question at all. Allowed five minutes to ask questions about the firm at the end.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied on their website. Recruiter set up a phone screen the next day. Had phone screen some time later. Got email about negative decision came out in about a week.