Jane Street Junior Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 5, 2017

3.8

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Junior Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in February 2017.

Interview

The phone interview was hard, did not make it to the next round. There was lot of probability questions. I got the phone interview after applied online. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

First round is a phone interview. A trader at the firm will ask four or five brain-teaser questions. Interview took about an hour. The trader was very kind and patient and gave suggestions when I was stuck on a question. It seemed that the interviewer was testing how I responded to not immediately knowing the answer or the process.

Junior Trader Interview

Interview

the interview is intro college probability questions, each two or more parts. you have plenty of time and you can explain your rationale before or after solving the problem, but it should be coherent. it's very relaxed.

Junior Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

First round phone interview, technical questions, about six of them. They followed up within a week with second round phone interview. Wasn't feeling too well for second round, still technical questions. Answered correctly but likely too slow. No feedback received.

Junior Trader Interview

Interview

I applied for a trader position off my college’s career site. They were prompt in replying. I received two phone interviews. The first was easy probability questions, but the second had more difficult questions. I did not get a final round interview. The younger guy I interviewed with was friendly but the older guy was really harsh/dismissive when I got something wrong.

Junior Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in January 2014.

Interview

Contact was made by e-mail to setup a phone interview. Interview was extremely quantitative, but relatively obscure. Main question was about a complex probability game that the interviewer expected you to calculate mentally. A few more obscure technical questions (as a person coming from a math background) and the interview was over. Process seemed self-defeating as a very small number of people would have the intuition to quickly do a problem like that in their head, but that says little about skill.

Interview Questions

• As mentioned above, a probability game between two players was given and it involved a complex card game requiring combinatorics.   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in January 2014.

Interview

First round was to solve 5 stats questions online. Second round was a phone interview with a trader, mostly stats problems but harder than first round. I spent too much time on a problem and did not get to the next round.

Interview Questions

• choose a subset from 1-30 that has the largest sum and the elements in this subset do not have common factors.   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

applied online, the HR contacted me 2 weeks after my application and I got the first interview the week after.
    Answer after each interview were given three days after. and scheduled for the week after. The process took 3 weeks for me since I have been rejected after the thirs interview.
    The HR told me that in total there are 4 phone interview and one final round in their office of NY.

Interview Questions

• During the third interview : imagine an infinite chess board. If the horse from 1 case, in how many cases can he possibly ends after 10 moves. You actually don't have to give a number but a 95% confidence interval.
      pen and paper allowed   13 Answers
    • during the second interview : give a 95% confidence interval of the number of riders that have taken Tokyo's metro since its construction!!
      if someone takes the metro two time a days he would count 2*number of day * ....
      No paper, no pen and not internet allowed   2 Answers

Junior Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Submitted CV, had three phone interviews. Questions were mostly just simple maths and probability (flipping coins, rolling dice etc) but it's easy to make a lot of mental maths mistakes under pressure. Asked how confident I was in my answers being correct.

Junior Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

4-5 phone interviews, all are mental math questions, probability, statistics and brain teasers. Get progressively harder. Pass all of these rounds and you get to an on-site interview. Minimal amount of typical HR questions.

Interview Questions

• Pretty generic dice games, coin flips and common brain teasers that you can find on the web.   Answer Question