Jane Street Junior Trader Interview Questions

Updated Jan 11, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 23 of over 1.5K interviews

3.7
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Jane Street

Jane Street

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in Dec 2020

Interview

Two phone interviews, got rejected after the second one. The usual probability questions. Both interviewers were nice. I messed up a problem in the second interview so I didnt make it through

Interview Questions
  • One about a bear and fish. Another one about gold and silver coins.
    Answer Question

Jane Street

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Jane Street

Interview

First round involved solving some excel spreadsheet questions by following the instructions sent to you explaining what to do. It involved calculating forwards, futures and finding the appropriate prices for bonds based on their ratings and other factors.

Interview Questions
  • Calculate the Haircut value of some company's forward assets.

Jane Street

Application

I interviewed at Jane Street

Interview

One online test and two telephone interviews. Probability questions that became harder every new interview. The telephone interviews were canceled sometimes, which was a pity as I prepared for them. However, the telephone interviews were reschudeled quickly. No personal questions, no questions about your resume. Only questions I got were about mental math and probability questions. They want to know your reasoning when you give an answer. The interviewers are kind, give you some help during the interview

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (Hong Kong) in Dec 2018

Interview

Quite an efficient process that they have perfected to look for people that exactly fit their criteria. I had 3 phone interviews after which I was not proceeded further. Their selection criteria is very quantitative with everything from simple probability to game theory derivations

Interview Questions
  • you flip a coin unlimited times. if HHT shows up before HTT you win, what is the probability you win.

Jane Street

Application

I interviewed at Jane Street

Interview

Applied online, and received an email about a phone round shortly after. Had 3 phone interviews or about 30 minutes each. Did not receive an invitation for an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
  • Interviews were mostly technical. Questions were standard but slightly more challenging math/logic/probability puzzles.

Jane Street

Application

I interviewed at Jane Street

Interview

The hiring and interviewing process was very smooth and it seemed like they cared a lot about applicants. I requested for a reschedule for the second round interview and after a week they got back to me with my requested time (as they had stated they would), clearly a lot of attention is paid so that no one is overlooked.

Interview Questions
  • Three Probability Questions Eg, Two fair 6 sided dice rolls - what the the probability of the two top numbers' product being a square number?

Jane Street

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in Jul 2017

Interview

The interview took place on the phone and consisted of a series of questions. The first set of questions were about mental arithmetic and the like (what is the sum of the first 50 odd numbers) and the later questions are about probability. They ask you to not use a pen and paper or calculator during this process. Overall the questions and approach are quite reasonable and the interview was extremely affable.

Interview Questions
  • What is the probability of getting an even number of heads in 7 coin tosses?
1 person found this interview helpful

Jane Street

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in Feb 2017

Interview

The phone interview was hard, did not make it to the next round. There was lot of probability questions. I got the phone interview after applied online. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in Dec 2016

Interview

First round is a phone interview. A trader at the firm will ask four or five brain-teaser questions. Interview took about an hour. The trader was very kind and patient and gave suggestions when I was stuck on a question. It seemed that the interviewer was testing how I responded to not immediately knowing the answer or the process.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Jane Street

Application

I interviewed at Jane Street

Interview

the interview is intro college probability questions, each two or more parts. you have plenty of time and you can explain your rationale before or after solving the problem, but it should be coherent. it's very relaxed.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Interviews