Jane Street Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Rejected.
Two rounds. First is math brain teasers, toss and basic calculation. Second is programming. How to compare whether two words are anagram or not.

Interview Questions

• You'd better react quickly. Or they'll think you are not smart enough.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

Drop in the resume during university career fair. Got phone interview invitation in three days. Interviewed one week later.

Interview Questions

• Give you a 4*4 chess box, can a knight start from any one of the squares and get to the rest squares without re-visit?   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The interviews were difficult. I passed the first two interviews but was rejected after the third. The interviewers were kind and respectful but it was tough to read from them whether I was on the right track for a given question.

Interview Questions

• I had the infamous 30-sided-die-two-player game alluded to in other posts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Three rounds of phone interviews, in which I was asked math questions of increasing difficulty. There was a large focus on probability and combinatorics, which most of the problems phrased as trying to determine the optimal strategy for a game; however, as I indicated that I come from a CS background I was also asked to design an algorithm to solve a problem with a good asymptotic runtime. The first and second round should be relatively easy for anyone that majored in a quantitative subject, especially math, physics, or computer science; the third was vastly harder- I was unable to answer the problem correctly without significant guidance, but passed this round nonetheless (presumably, they really do care about the nature of your thought process).

Interview Questions

• (Round 2) Suppose two players play a game where Player A, then Player B, picks an integer between 1 and 30. Then, a thirty-sided die is rolled. Whoever guessed closer to the value of the roll obtains an amount of money equal to the value of the roll from the other player.

Given the choice, do you decide to go first or second? What number do you choose? What is the expected value of this position?   3 Answers

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I was offered on email to move forward with my application. What happened is that I applied for one position but I was suggested to apply for another, which was also great position to start with. I soon received an email for initial screening for work authorization.

Interview Questions

• Will you now or in the future require sponsorship to work at Jane Street?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

There are a couple of phone interviews. The interview questions are mostly about discrete math and probability. Probability problems include conditional probability. There are a couple of questions in one interview.

Interview Questions

• Given some numbers, which follow some pattern, what is the largest number you can make.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in April 2018.

Interview

I applied for the internships. The interviewer speaks quite fast, which is really challenging for non-native speakers. I did badly for simple questions and failed. At the final, they will ask you what questions you have.

Interview Questions

• Given the probability going to restaurants on Saturday and Sunday, what's the probability of going to restaurants on both days?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

All financial firm interviewers that came to our university are well-dressed professionals from Bulge Bracket firm names (Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sacchs, ...) to small boutique firms (Lazard, ...) EXCEPT for the Jane Street guys. I was interviewed by a nerdy looking person in a t-shirt and jeans (I have nothing against nerdy looking people. This is purely an observation). The guy either had little social skills in comparisons to interviewers from other firms, or was deeply uninterested in getting to know people and their resumes. He literally spent 3 minutes talking about my resume, and 25 minutes asking me math and probabilty questions, which was strange, but I guess fair too given the position that I was applying to. When he asked me what my favorite course was, I replied "Financial Institutions. It's a course where I got to learn about various financial institutions ranging all the way from commercial banks and insurance agencies to hedge funds, investment banks, and private equity firms". The interviewer then replied "Oh that sounds really cool. I know very little, if any, about these things, haha". I laughed along, but I would lie if I said that I wasn't put off by his comment. The interview then started with 25minutes of math and probablity.

Interview Questions

• You have 2 decks of cards (each deck contains both red and black cards). One deck has twice the number of cards in the other deck with the same color ration (so one deck has 52 cards and the other has 104, both half red and half black). I offer you to play a game. First you get to chose which deck of cards you want to play with. Second, you draw 2 cards at random from your deck of choice. If both are red, then I will give you a ferarri. Which deck of cards would you chose?   12 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

I had a 30 minutes interview. For the first 20 minutes I was asked to solve mental math problems and brain teasers. For the last 10 minutes or so I was allowed to ask questions about the company.

Some questions:

1. What is the sum of all the odd numbers form 1 to 100

Interview Questions

• 2. In an urn you have red and blue balls (same number of balls in each of the two colors). You extract 3 balls what is the probability that the number of balls you have extracted is odd. Now you extract 10 balls, what is the probability that the number of balls you have extracted is odd?   6 Answers
    • 3. There are 30 blue and 30 red balls and two urns. You play a game. Your opponent has the right to arrange the balls in the two urns as he pleases, without telling you what he did. You then must draw a ball from an urn of your choice. You win $10 if you draw a blue ball, otherwise you get $0. How much would you be willing to pay to play this game?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume through campus recruiting. A 30 minutes interview on one probability (coin flipping) question. No behavioral question at all. Allowed five minutes to ask questions about the firm at the end.