Jane Street Quantitative Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Quantitative Research Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online. They responded offering me a phone interview in about one weeks time later. I had one 30 minute phone interview which I totally bombed. Overall the process went completely smoothly although the interview was difficult to figure out on the fly.

Interview Questions

• How many ways are there to shuffle a deck of card. Followed up by a few other way more difficult questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Quantitative Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in September 2017.

Interview

First got a phone interview where they asked me two questions, one fairly easy regarding possible values of the denominator of a fraction, and another one more difficult that's listed below. Passed the phone interview but did not make it past the following coding interview.

Interview Questions

• I have a standard 52 card deck. One by one, I draw cards from the deck and place them face up in front of you (without putting them back). At any point, you may stop me and say a color. If the next two cards I draw both have that color, you win. Otherwise, you lose. What is the optimal strategy?   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in February 2018.

Interview

A phone interview was scheduled. It took around 30 minutes. Some probability brain teasers are asked and the answer were asked to given through the phone. Pen and paper are allowed whenever necessary. You may write down the questions and calculate for a while.

Interview Questions

• Throw a die with 6 faces two times. You may guess whether their sum is even. If you guess right, you win one dollar. What is your expected earn?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (Princeton, NJ) in October 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview in Oct 2012 regarding a quantitative research position in Jane Street The interview took 30 minutes and mostly questions were about mental math and probability. The recruiter told me further rounds will test the same areas as well as my coding ability, functional programming experience, specifically OCaml but my interview did not proceed to the next round.

Interview Questions

• We were not allowed to use any calculator for the mathematics part and we were expected to answer all questions mentally with quite high accuracy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

There were two telephone interviews. I solved almost all the problems (3 each interviews), but it took more time than 30 minutes. Some of the problems I solved after corrections. Week later, I received email with rejection.

Interview Questions

• If X, Y and Z are three random variables such that X and Y have a correlation of 0.9, and Y and Z have correlation of 0.8, what are the minimum and maximum correlation that X and Z can have?   7 Answers

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in December 2012.

Interview

The interviewer is not quite helpful.

Interview Questions

• A clock on the wall falls and breaks into 3 pieces with the same sum of numbers. What are the three pieces?   8 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

It consisted of one probability question. That question was already posted in this forum in Sep 2011. I did not see it before the interview. It is not hard to ace the first interview with drills of probability puzzles. I cannot say about the rest, since I did not go further.

Interview Questions

• A tosses n+1 coins. B tosses n coins. B wins if he has at least as many heads as A. What is the probability that B wins?   6 Answers

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in April 2014.

Interview

I applied through website, and got phone interview. The interview consisted of probability and math questions. One is on conditional probability, one is kind of estimation on fraction, and another is probability of a robot question.

Interview Questions

• some probability with a robot, and predict the variance of the number of robot under different circumstances   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Interview

Several phone interviews. In the first one I was asked to describe briefly my research, and then we solve a few brain teasers. In the second one we went straight to brain teasers. Both lasted about an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Quick response time. Set up a phone interview with a researcher before HR briefing (a pleasant surprise). I was shocked at the nature (basic nature that is, is this the flavor of problems they tackle at Jane street????) of questions I was being tested on (not that I got them right....) They want you to assess how well you can quantify your confidence in the answer you give them.

Interview Questions

• Interesting question:
      From a deck of 52 cards pick 26 at random. From this set of 26 you pick two cards. You win if the both of these cards are of the same color. Is this a game you would prefer over one in which you win by picking two (first two picks) of the same color at random from a deck of 26 with equal number of black and red cards   8 Answers