Jane Street Quantitative Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Quantitative Researcher Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2020.

Interview

Very fast interview process. Same-day or next-day emails with recruiter. One technical phone interview consisting of probability puzzles. The interviewer was nice and gave solutions near the end. Received email rejection next day.

Interview Questions

• Person A walks up an escalator at 2 steps/second. Person B walks up an escalator at 3 steps/second. Person B gets on the escalator 5 seconds after A and arrives at the top X seconds after A. (I forgot the exact value of X) If the escalator is moving at 1 step/second, how many steps are visible on the escalator at a single point in time?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Interview

I encountered two brainteaser questions. I interviewed with a QR researcher. In the beginning, we talked about the most recent projects on my resume. The first probability question solved using Bayes rule. The second combinatorics question.

Interview Questions

• P(rain on Saturday) = p1, P(rain on Sunday) = p2. What is P(rain on the weekend)?   1 Answer

Quantitative Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Briefly talked about my background and my research and asked one brainteaser and one probability question. Still waiting for the results and hope it will come out good! The interviewers are quite nice!

Interview Questions

• The probability of rolling two dice. 6, 6 gets 100, 6, not 6 loses x, and other cases you redo the dice rolling. When should you play the game?   3 Answers

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

The phone interview took 1 hour. They asked several brainteasers/probability questions. Some questions asked you to estimate the answer quickly-which I found a little challenging. Make sure you ate well before the interview!

Interview Questions

• A deck of cards is shuffled then placed face down on a table. The cards are turned over one-by-one. If a black card is turned up, you win $1.00. If a red card is turned up, you lose $1.00. What is your strategy and what is the expected winning of your strategy?   1 Answer

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Interview

Phone interview. Asked to describe my thesis topic and then given 2 probability questions. First one was easy, second one a bit more challenging. Interviewer was nice and gave helpful hints when I needed it.

Interview Questions

• First question: Weather report says there is a 30% chance of rain on Saturday and 30% chance of rain on Sunday. What can you say about the probability that it rains on at least one of the days?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied through their website and got response in a week for scheduling an interview. I did my phone interview today. I was asked two problems, the first one was easy the second was hard. I still have no idea how to solve it. The interviewer was very patient and helpful. Despite his efforts to guide me through the second problem I was unable to solve it. What I got and he confirmed, is that it is somehow related to the Central Limit theorem.

Interview Questions

• Q1: We have two integers A and B and we know A/B is in the interval [0.48, 0.52]. What are all possible values for B?   1 Answer
    • There are 100 coins and someone flips them and doesn't tell us the results. I can ask one Yes/No question. After the answer I will start guessing the coin flip results. For each correct guess I get 1 dollar and for each wrong guess I lose 1 dollar. What is the best strategy to play this game and what is the maximum expected value of the return.   2 Answers

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Phone screen stating how I came to learn about Jane Street and my reasons for wanting to work there. In my case, why I was choosing to leave academia. After this initial screen I was given a set of stats problems to walk through with my interviewer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

Applied through the website and got an email to arrange a 1st round phone interview. Positive experience and the questions were quite interesting and kind of hard. Basically an extension of what you'll see on quant interview books.

Interview Questions

• Flip 4 coins every time, what's the expected number of times to get 4 H   1 Answer

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Interview

One round phone interview. We discussed my academic background. Then, he asked about coin tossing game. What is the outcome with maximum likelihood of tossing two different coins for 30 times.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

First an easy interview on math questions, the interviewer usually guides you through problems. Second -- programming interview, which was pretty easy but I was not ready at all, so they considered me for Trader position. Then another math interview, and then on-site interview with many rounds. The on-site interviews are pretty difficult if you don't expect what's coming