Jane Street Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 8, 2017

3.4

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in February 2017.

Interview

Had a first round phone interview a few days after submitting my application online. The interviewer was very friendly, but to the point. He asked three or four probability and puzzle type questions.

Interview Questions

• You are given a choice between two games, each with a $1 payout, which do you prefer?
    Game 1: you are given 4 roles of a single die, and you win if you roll at least one six.
    Game 2: you are given 24 roles of a pair of dice, and you win if you roll a pair of sixes at least once.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in January 2017.

Interview

Jane Street has a four round interview process, and the first three rounds are over the phone. I didn't get past the first round, but it was a very smooth process. Even though I didn't get the job, I thought it was very good practice for technical interviews that I will have in the future.

Jane Street wants people who can think on their feet. If that's you, you're in luck! If you blank out or are having a slow day, not so much.

I highly encourage applying! The interview is difficult, but the people at Jane Street and very helpful, willing to give tips, and open to questions.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the exact question, but one was along the line of: There is a man going up an escalator going a certain number of feet per minute. How many steps would he have to take in addition to the speed of the escalator to reach the top in a certain amount of time.

"I shuffle a deck of cards..." and then some combinatorics questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Submitted an application, heard back the next day with an interview offer for a position other than the one I applied to. Did the interview anyway, was rejected shortly after.

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Jane Street in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and they called back to set up a phone interview. The phone interview took about 40 minutes, and was done without any online resources, i.e. the interview was by voice, although I was allowed to write on a scratch sheet of paper. The interviewer asked me two questions, the first being somewhat difficult (below), and the second being reasonable.

Interview Questions

• Is a knight's tour possible on a 4x4? Prove.   4 Answers

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in October 2014.

Interview

contacted by HR after submitted the resume about 1 week.
    Interview for a research intern position in NY.
    1 hr phone interview with a researcher there.
    I was asked 1 probability question and 1 math question.
    Very nice HR and interviewer.
    You need to think if you never encounter such question before.

Interview Questions

• rolling 2 dices, case 1 you will earn $1 is sum of them are 7; case 2 earn -$1 is sum of then are even; otherwise, roll them again until case 1 or 2 happen. Find the expected gain.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Four rounds of phone screening and one final round of on-site interviews. All on-site interviews are two-to-one. All technical questions. The interviewers are very smart but it seems they do not care that much about what they are doing at work. The overall process was pleasant though not as perfect as I expected.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to append two lists in OCaml.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

The interviewer gave information about the position. Then proceeded to probability questions. Asked three questions, all of which were already mentioned here by other users. So I answered timely and correctly except for a small algebraic error in one question. He sounded satisfied, and asked me when I am graduating, why do I want to work in Jane St, etc. Then in 3 days, I received an email from HR saying that they decided not to move forward with my application. I am not sure why they concluded this way. Maybe because I am not from a "target" school, whereas my department is in top 10.

Interview Questions

• Throw die once or twice, and get paid the face value. What is expected payoff?   2 Answers
    • V~U[0,1]. Make a bet B, for V, and will be awarded 1,5 times V if B>V, otherwise your bet is worthless - you do not lose anything as well. What is your bet?   5 Answers

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

2 prob questions

Interview Questions

• 1a) A bus runs on a loop. It takes to the bus 10min to complete the loop. You go to the bus stop at random times, what's the expected time you'll be waiting for the bus?
      1b) Along the way the bus driver stops for 10 min with a 50% chance. For how long you wait now?

2) There's a rounded table, you wanna place three legs randomly, what's the chance the table stands?   3 Answers

Researcher Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street in September 2011.

Interview

It is all about probability, and not difficult.

Interview Questions

• Two gamblers are playing a coin toss game. Gamer A has (n+1) fair coins, B has n fair coins. What is the probability that A will have more than B if both flip all their coins?   2 Answers