Jane Street Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.3

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through company website, I submitted the resume, and I was actually surprised to hear from the HR since I am not from a top notch school. A few days later, the HR contacted to set up technical interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to choose a programming language I feel comfortable using, Given one coding question. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted and told that they would like a phone screen, but were backlogged with graduate intern candidates. Got a phone screen about a month later. The recruiter didn't seem super interested in talking much further by the end; they are expecting you to be extremely meticulous and detail-oriented.

Interview Questions

• Inorder tree traversal. Given a tree, return a new tree with the same structure but all values replaced with Unit. Given the inorder tree traversal, and tree structure with Units, reconstruct the tree.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I submitted an application online, and within a week was contacted via email to set up a time for a phone interview. I had one interview via phone on a shared online document. The interview began immediately with one coding question; no other questions (about resume experiences, etc) were asked.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of paired integers, write an algorithm to find the integer that is not paired, using constant space.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Jane Street in February 2015.

Interview

Applied on company website and was contacted 3 weeks later for a phone interview. Four weeks after the interview was actually scheduled for 3 weeks later.

They ended up calling 40 minutes late, the interviewer was very incompetent at even asking the questions. I found it very unprofessional and chose to not move on in the interviewing process after speaking with friends who told me this was not uncharacteristic of them.

Interview Questions

• Several basic binary tree questions that built off of each other in difficulty. From implementation to finding the depth to checking if the tree is symmetrical.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

My interview is scheduled at 10:00am. However, I wait until 10:15am but no one called. Then I received an email saying the interviewer was wrapping up with an issue and he would call around 10:30am. Then I wait until 10:45 am still no one called. I received another email saying he was still working on the issue and will call in a minute. Then I continue to wait to 11:15am. Finally I received an email saying that the interviewer was just wrapped up the issue and asked me whether I need to reschedule the interview. I was shocked at all these dramatic events. I really want to say please respect interns more if you really want to hire them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

3 phone screen, and 4 interviews on site. All of those are technical questions. The recruiters are very helpful, and they reach decision really fast! I left the interview directly for the airport, and I heard the no go decision before I even reached the airport!

I do want to stress that Jane Street is known for its tough interview questions, and the fact I didn't get it also suggest it's not easy. However, I think their trader's interview question are much more difficult, at least for people without sufficient practice. The software questions are very do-able and not intrinsically harder than the hottest tech firms. So just be very prepared, and don't get as scared as I was.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Applied online with my resume and cover letter and got an email a few days later. Set up a phone interview, and they had me code on stypi.com. They asked about memoization techniques, as well as cache replacement strategies and time and space complexity of algorithms. They were friendly and allowed time at the end for my questions. The whole interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Implement the least recently used algorithm for replacing the contents of a cache after a cache miss.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Immediately got an email for a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of one programming question in OCaml. The interviewer was pretty quiet and didn't say much during the coding part. At the end of the interview, I asked the interviewer questions about the hiring process, internship program, etc.

Interview Questions

• Write a function in OCaml that when given a list of prices, returns the indices of when it is most optimal to buy and sell the stock.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jane Street in February 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview starting with the interviewer talking about himself and then we jumped right into the programming question. Afterwards we followed with any questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Find the smallest sublist size in a list of lists. Then after I came up with an algorithm that used List.length to compare which is an O(n^2) algorithm, he asked how could this be improved, which stumped me.   3 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in February 2014.

Interview

Self introduction. Coding on collabedit. Coding problem is designed for OCaml.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to (equivalently) transform binary search tree into array and vice versa. Note that they keep doing gambling with you. You have to bet the number that payoff expectation is positive by your mental math.   Answer Question