Jane Street Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in November 2014.

Interview

The first two round interviews are both by phone, and the second round you need to coding through the online white boards and then explain your idea. I have finished the coding, but failed. I guess the main reason is that I just write down the code directly without clear explanation.

Interview Questions

• Implement a binary search tree (BST) and judge a tree whether is a BST   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through their website, receiving a letter from them a week later. We scheduled an initial phone interview. They don't do interviews via Skype or Hangouts, and their interviewers use some form of an interactive codepad like collabedit. I'd recommend plugging a headset to your phone — I didn't so I had to constantly switch between holding my phone close enough and typing code. It was very frustrating.

The interview lasted for an hour, the engineer I talked to was nice and pleasant. He presented the problem to solve by giving a type signature for a function using Ocaml, but you can use any programming language during the interview (their blog post about their interviewing process specifically recommends candidates to «know their tools»).

Upon discussing the last question I think he said something like «time's up», which I guess was the sign that my performance was subpar.

In a week after the interview I received a short sorry letter.

Interview Questions

• Implement a function `memoize : (a -> b) -> (a -> b)`   2 Answers
    • How would you bound the memory usage of this function?   1 Answer
    • What is a different approach to implement FIFO buffer?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street in June 2014.

Interview

I submitted my CV online and got a response a few days later from HR. I was asked to name a few dates when I would be available for a phone interview. The interviewer called me on time. First question asked was if there were any projects I am proud of. The interview was getting technical later, and I was supposed to write code online.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2018.

Interview

Had a first round interview on the phone. Seemed like it went well, they scheduled another interview with an engineer on another team to have a non technical chat. Then the next day rejected me.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Went to ETC (challenge they organised in out uni), talked to people at careers' fair, applied online. Got back fast, decided on time fast. In the end, called 40 mins late, didn't apologise, just started asking questions. Had a shared screen for coding, was given a hard problem straight away, no brain teasers, no probability. Another guy from my uni got the same question, but at least in the 2nd round! Interviewer was very unhelpful, gave no clues, probably got bored with me after the first 10 min, so didn't make any effort. Kept saying how the time was up and he needed to go, so we just cut it short. Ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• Revise hash functions, tree traversal   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in June 2017.

Interview

A 10 minute phone interview with HR followed by a 45 minute technical phone interview. Neither of them contained any hard questions. The questions on the technical ones were standard data structure questions.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, all technical questions. Was asked a question about matrices. The phone interview took one hour and nothing behavioural was discussed. Phone interview, all technical questions. Was asked a question about matrices. The phone interview took one hour and nothing behavioural was discussed

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in April 2011.

Interview

The process consisted of 3 phone interviews (I suspect that there is a last one in their office).
    The first interview was about general math and concepts of computer science/functional programming. I had a few brain teasers (7^3, number of edges in a cube, a classic dice roll exercise).
    The second interview was centered around designing algorithms, so mainly computer science related. The idea was to shuffle, sort and use arrays.
    The last interview was mostly puzzles, including a rather complicated dice roll exercise and a puzzle.

Interview Questions

• You have 2 identical plates which break when thrown higher than a specific number of stories. You are in a 100 story building. What is the least number of tries you must do to determine the story number after which the plates are broken when thrown off the building?   7 Answers

Software Development Interview

Interview

There was 2 phone interviews and then a phone interview where one write code in google docs

Interview Questions

• Given an oracle that decide if a Turing machine halts. Create a algorithm that uses this oracle at most twice. The input of the algorithm is three Turing machines, the output of the algorithm is the Turing machines that doesn't halt.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Jane Street (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email a few weeks later from a recruiter for a technical phone interview, which lasted for an hour.
    I got a response within days, they invited me to an onsite interview where they did two interviews ~45 each, coding on a provided laptop. I stumbled for a bit trying to find an efficient solution. The interviewers were friendly, guiding me with possible improvements and pointing out edge cases. I got the email a week later saying they would be looking for other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Given two strings representing big numbers, and an operator (+/-), calculate and the return the result of that operation as a string.   Answer Question