Jane Street Software Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Software Development Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.3

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Submitted an app via their job portal; heard back after a week or two. Then had a virtual interview with one of the employees. Whole process was around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, and we set up a phone interview with a developer at Jane St. I solved the question, but had a lot of help, so I received a rejection in two business days.

Interview Questions

• Given a matrix of chars from the set {"u", "l", "d", "r", "x"}, where the matrix is guaranteed to have one "x," and each of the other chars represent a direction up, down, left, and right, and a point on the matrix, write a function that returns true if "x" can be reached by following the specified path.   2 Answers

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied online through the website. Received a request for a phone interview the same day. Phone interview was about 40 minutes and consisted of one programming question conducted over coderpad.io. Interviewer was pleasant and helpful. Received a rejection back a week later.

Interview Questions

• Implement data structures and evaluation function for a stack machine given certain instructions that operate on a stack of data (ints and strings).   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in December 2014.

Interview

I went to a recruitment event at my school and then applied online. I was contacted in about a week for a phone interview. The phone interview involved coding on an online platform. Then, I was contacted a few days later to arrange an in-person interview. They paid for me to visit their New York office for the interviews. The HR person was very helpful and well-organized.

I had four in-person interviews, all on the same day, all with two interviewers. Each interview asked one programming problem, which I solved on the whiteboard. There was also the option to solve them on a computer. The interviewers tended to observe quietly, and didn't give many hints, preferring for me to work through it when I got stuck. They were all very intelligent. I actually found it pretty fun, since the questions were interesting.

They made me an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• They asked that I not share the specifics of the questions. Expect one or two to focus on functional programming.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was very generous for an intern position. There was no negotiation.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through company website, I submitted the resume, and I was actually surprised to hear from the HR since I am not from a top notch school. A few days later, the HR contacted to set up technical interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to choose a programming language I feel comfortable using, Given one coding question. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted and told that they would like a phone screen, but were backlogged with graduate intern candidates. Got a phone screen about a month later. The recruiter didn't seem super interested in talking much further by the end; they are expecting you to be extremely meticulous and detail-oriented.

Interview Questions

• Inorder tree traversal. Given a tree, return a new tree with the same structure but all values replaced with Unit. Given the inorder tree traversal, and tree structure with Units, reconstruct the tree.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street in June 2014.

Interview

I submitted my CV online and got a response a few days later from HR. I was asked to name a few dates when I would be available for a phone interview. The interviewer called me on time. First question asked was if there were any projects I am proud of. The interview was getting technical later, and I was supposed to write code online.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I only know the first stage (phone interview) because I've failed it twice. I had to write some code in an online shared text editor. Afterwards I got the opportunity to ask questions, which I made a lot of use of. I'm not sure what I did wrong because I think I only made some minor mistakes that are ones that any developer could make, so the only other thing I can think of is that maybe I asked a question they didn't like or too many questions - or maybe they didn't bother to look at my CV properly until after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the behaviour of [a certain Java class that I used in my code] with respect to garbage collection?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Contacted campus recruiter and she was very helpful in organising the interview. Good communication. My interviewers were all very helpful and helped me tackle problems I've faced during the interview. Be prepared to have to write everything down and explain everything in detail.

Interview Questions

• Tough algorithmic questions which I attempted to tackle in OCaml altough you are encourage to use whatever language you prefer.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in November 2014.

Interview

The first two round interviews are both by phone, and the second round you need to coding through the online white boards and then explain your idea. I have finished the coding, but failed. I guess the main reason is that I just write down the code directly without clear explanation.

Interview Questions

• Implement a binary search tree (BST) and judge a tree whether is a BST   1 Answer