Jane Street Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.9

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2013.

Interview

Very prompt on the interview process. Get back to you fairly quickly. First round is usually easy but given that it's easy, they're brutal on quality. They expect you to have near perfect solutions or atleast be able to fix things very very quickly. Speed and efficiency are absolutely key,

Interview Questions

• Implement a priority queue using a stack.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (Princeton, NJ) in February 2013.

Interview

First round interview, standard software question involving coding a calculator program, but be ready for intense criticism of every character your write. Also some unix command questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

I had experience with functional programming, and I had applied to Jane St as they use Ocaml internally. First round of phone interview consisted of questions on functional languages and functional pearls. Second round of phone interviews involved 3-4 puzzles and algorithm questions. After that I was invited to their company where I had 2 interviews; one involving puzzles/quants and a programming interview based on a concurrent framework. Interviews were fun, though in the end it didn't work out.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted via email to set up the first of a series of phone screens. I ended up having three interviews before being informed that I would not be continuing in the process.

The first person I talked to was very kind, but things were difficult because it was hard to understand his accent. In the end this was not a problem because he and I could type to each other via the collaborative editing website we were on. I heard back about a second screening via email less than 15 minutes after the call ended.

The second person called almost half an hour late, and seemed irritated at the beginning, but things worked out well from there. I had some trouble solving the question, but he said he picked the question precisely because most people have trouble with it. I received an email to set up another interview about 3 days later.

The third person really threw me off. He seemed personally offended that my school re-implemented parts of a language's core library for instructional purposes about cost bounds. We were interrupted on his end multiple times, and even though he had called a little late, he started trying to leave about halfway through. I know he had other things to do, but I did as well; that's why I cleared my schedule. There were multiple times I would say something (including questions), expecting a response, and get nothing, which made me suspect he had brought other work in with him.

I pretty much knew I wouldn't be getting an offer after the third interview, not only because the interviewer seemed so disinterested, but mainly because I performed rather poorly on that question.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to implement a function in a functional programming language (since I had listed in on my resume) that would test to see if two lambda expressions were alpha-equivalent.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by the recruiter at my school, who set up an on-campus interview for me. I was informed a few days later that I didn't make it to the next round.
    The interviewer was cold and seemed disinterested. He wasn't helpful when I asked questions or clarifications about the problem.

Interview Questions

• Given a set of strings, return a set of lists of anagrams.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Jane Street (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

3 phone calls, then on-site interviews (also three). Questions vary: some algorithm questions, also design questions and questions involving functional programming (I would tell it is not such important to know OCaml, but concepts of functional programming [monads, types, tail recursion] - I would tell that it was not "basic" functional programming, but these more difficult concepts). Everyone is professional, it was easy to understand what they are asking and you can ask questions to get clarifications.

Interview Questions

• Two of the interviews had algorithm questions, other two had design questions, one functional programming interview and one coding interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

They came to our university and gave a talk, so I send them my resume and attended a phone interview days later, the guy who interviewed me was very nice and I kind of felt that he was the smartest person who ever interviewed me. it was a pleasant experience, but sadly I got rejected soon after the interview, lol.

Interview Questions

• There is only on question, design the interface of a functional immutable queue, better in a functional programming language.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in December 2012.

Interview

Applied through their site. The HR are nice people.

First interview with a junior engineer. They jumped right into the technical exercise and weren't going to introduce themselves until I asked. They were patient, helpful and answered all my questions thoroughly.

Second interview was with an engineer who apparently does lots of interviews. They spoke in some strange accent and it was very hard to get what they said. They didn't know much about OOP and kept interrupting and asking with each line I wrote. Also, they gave brief answers to my questions.

Interview Questions

• Implement a linked list.
      Given a collection of linked lists, give the list with the minimum length.
      Given a collection of linked lists, give the list with the minimum sum.   2 Answers
    • Implement a machine with a stack and a memory. Implement a method that takes a list of instructions and executes them on the machine then outputs the last element on the machine's stack.
      How would you build an OCaml-like syntax using that machine.
      Now, given an expression in the structure you've built, convert it into a list of instructions that can be run on the machine.   1 Answer