Jane Street Summer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Summer Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

10 Interview Reviews

Experience

Experience
56%
33%
11%

Getting an Interview

Getting an Interview
62%
38%

Difficulty

3.6
Average

Difficulty

Hard
Average
Easy

Helpful (2)  

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate
No Offer
Neutral Experience
Average Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied for interview through college career site, was a half hour interview. There was a bit of talking about yourself in the beginning, but most of it was problem solving. Jane Street is definitely looking for the smartest people and they're willing to interview everyone for it. That being said, I think actually getting an offer is extremely difficult. However, practice problems and answers are everywhere on the internet (due the the sheer number of interviews) so it's definitely possible to be adequately prepared for it.

Interview Questions

  • You have 50 black balls and 50 white balls and two buckets. How would you distribute the balls so that when a bucket is randomly chosen and a random ball is drawn out of that bucket, the probability of getting a black ball is at its highest?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

  1. Helpful (2)  

    Summer Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    No Offer
    Neutral Experience
    Difficult Interview

    Application

    I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in December 2014.

    Interview

    Sent an application in through their website. Heard back quickly from a recruiter who told me that I could take an online test and be passed onto the second round automatically. I accepted, was sent an email which linked me to an online testing website. There were 4 questions to answer which I will detail below. I have yet to hear back but I definitely do not expect an offer.

    Interview Questions

    • We have two urns. You can't tell them apart from the outside, but one has three $1 chips and seven $10 chips, and the other has eight $1 chips and two $10 chips. You randomly draw a chip from one of the urns and it happens to be a $10 chip. Without replacing this draw, I offer you a chance to draw and keep a chip from either urn. Should you draw from the same urn or the opposite urn, and what is the expected value of the chip you draw? Why?   2 Answers
    • A bag has three coins in it which are visually indistinguishable, but when flipped, one coin has a 60% chance of coming up heads, another has a 40% chance of coming up heads, and the last has a 100% chance of coming up heads. I randomly draw a coin from the bag and flip it, and the result comes up heads. What is the probability that if I re-flip this coin, it will come up heads again? Why?   3 Answers
    • You have been chosen to play a game involving a 6-sided die. You get to roll the die once, see the result, and then may choose to either stop or roll again. Your payoff is the sum of your rolls, unless this sum is (strictly) greater than 6, in which case you "bust" and get nothing. What is your strategy for this game? That is, for each possible outcome of the first roll will you choose to stop or to roll again? Why?   3 Answers
    • We randomly select 4 numbers from the set of the first 20 prime numbers, without replacement. What is the probability their sum is odd? Why?   2 Answers

  2.  

    Summer Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    No Offer
    Positive Experience
    Difficult Interview

    Application

    I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

    Interview

    Got an interview after application through the university. The interview took about half an hour. All the questions asked are probability questions, related to picking balls, playing cards. The interviewer set a situation first, and then let me to give the probability of different results. They will guid you if you get stuck, but I guess they expect a good candidate to be both accurate and fast.

    Interview Questions

    • probability of winning when play with the card   1 Answer
  3.  

    Summer Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    No Offer
    Negative Experience
    Difficult Interview

    Application

    I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

    Interview

    Submitting application through campus recruiting. First round was a phone interview. A woman interviewed me. She was positive, but very strict at the same time. It was apparent that she was solely looking for the right answers and did not care very much about me as a person.

    Interview Questions

    • Probability based questions with some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

  4. Helpful (2)  

    Summer Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    No Offer
    Positive Experience
    Difficult Interview

    Interview

    Two over the phone interviews, first coding and then problem solving. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes and I would say both were fairly demanding. A professional experience although unfortunately I did not progress further.

    Interview Questions


  5.  

    Summer Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    No Offer
    Average Interview

    Application

    I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

    Interview

    Sent in an email with my cv and a covering letter, and was contacted in about a week saying that they wanted to have a first-round interview. They were very accommodating, I was away at the time so they arranged the interview for when I got back. The interview was with a trader who was on the trading floor at the time, my phone was working really badly so he called me on another phone.

    Interview Questions

    • Probability questions like what is the chance that n people in the room have their birthday in the same month, expected values in a game, how many 2's between 0 and 300, and if two variables are correlated would their combined probability be lower or higher than if they where independent.   1 Answer

  6.  

    Summer Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    No Offer
    Positive Experience
    Difficult Interview

    Application

    I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (London, England (UK)) in January 2019.

    Interview

    Quickly contacted and phone interview setup. First interview was 20 minutes over the phone, 3 questions on probability/expectation/brain teasers. No calculator or writing is allowed.

    Second round was the same but longer.. this means more questions and higher difficulty. Should review the concepts they recommend before the interview.

    Interview Questions

    • Standard probability expectation questions you would find in a textbook.   Answer Question

  7.  

    Summer Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    No Offer
    Positive Experience
    Difficult Interview

    Application

    I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in August 2016.

    Interview

    Several rounds of phone interviews, getting more difficult at each stage. Focusing on probability. First round is just a some simplish questions, second round was more about game theory and gambling.

    Interview Questions

    • Lots of questions on probability, and a bit of game theory.   1 Answer
  8.  

    Summer Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Astana (Kazakhstan)
    No Offer
    Positive Experience
    Average Interview

    Application

    I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (Astana (Kazakhstan)) in October 2016.

    Interview

    They connected me very fast in 3 hours. Then we arranged a phone interview session for the next week. I did not prepared because I had midterms and exams. In interview day, they called me with a little bit late. They kobra for their interview process. I liked the question. I should just reimplement past codes.

    Interview Questions

    • Matrix questions, then graph problem( can be solved with bfs, djikstra)   1 Answer

  9.  

    Summer Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    No Offer
    Neutral Experience
    Average Interview

    Interview

    Smooth and quick, receive an email inviting to phone interview the next day. For the phone interview it mainly includes maths probability questions. Know your conditional probability, coin tossing and expected values would be quite helpful. It may need some mental maths when solving probability questions, easy to forget your previous result when the results become more and more.

    Interview Questions

    • Q: what is the angle between two hands when the clock is 10:45   2 Answers

Don't Miss Out On a Job You Love
Upload a resume to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.