Jane Street Trader Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Trader Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

4.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

The interview was very rigorous. The phone screen consisted of a number of technical questions. Most of the technical questions were focused on brainteasers, expected value, and statistical questions. I would certainly grab the book "Heard on the Street" to see similar question types. The one on one interviews were even more detailed then the phone. Only one fit type question and that was "Why Trading?". Definitely one of the hardest interview process I have had.

Interview Questions

• What is the expected value of a dice? Make me a market on it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

2 phone interviews, a couple fit questions, mostly mental math, probability questions, or brain teasers

Interview Questions

• Russian Roulette - 4 blanks 2 bullets, all in a row. If someone shoots a blank next to you, would you take another shot or spin   12 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

The first interview was three brain teasers, known basic probability and be able to explain the reasoning behind your answer and talk the interviewer through your approach. The second interview started with some basic fit questions (Why Jane St? Why Trading? Why should we hire you?) then another brain teaser.

Interview Questions

• What is the smallest number divisible by 225 that consists of all 1s and 0s?   7 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Lots of math questions, asked very quickly. No fit questions at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

Phone call that dived immediately into mental math and probability brainteasers. No fit questions.

Interview Questions

• You are playing a game in which four fair coins are flipped and the amount of money you receive in dollars is equal to the number of heads that appear in total. If you do not like the outcome of the first four flips, you have the option to re-flip the four coins, but you are obligated to take the second outcome. Determine a fair value fr the game.   6 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

HR emailed to schedule the first interview. 2 minutes before the interview was set to take place, HR emailed again to reschedule. I did not mind so much as it gave me more time to prepare. Made it through the first round but did not make it after the second. The interview was not very difficult, first one was a lot of mental math and probability, the second one is more problem solving. Both interviewers were helpful and they gave hints on how to approach the problems. I definitely did not get all the questions right in the first interview but was still offered a second interview. Just make sure to walk people through your steps.

Interview Questions

• You have 4 coins. You throw them in the air. For every H that lends, you get 1 dollar. How much would you pay to play this game?   6 Answers
    • Now, you have an option to reflip all the coins if you want. What's your strategy? And how what's the expected value?   5 Answers
    • What if you could reflip 1 coin that you wanted. What would be the expected value then?   6 Answers

Trader Intern Interview

Interview

I had an interview for the trader intern position at Jane Street today. Great people, great place. They are very driven intellectually and also incredibly helpful during the interview. I submitted my application around 10 days ago, and they get back to me pretty fast. I think the first round of interview is not too difficult. Will have a second round with them soon.

Trader Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Nice people, helpful with the interview. Messed up on the third round, and could tell that they were getting impatient.

Interview Questions

• Amount you would pay for an optional reroll of a die, given that you would get the number of pips on the die as payment.   2 Answers

Trader Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Very smart individuals -- very quantitative. They are interested in how you think as opposed to whether you get the right answers (although getting the questions right doesn't hurt). You should totally practice probability questions as much as you can in order to prepare. It turns out that you don't need to be a genius to be good at probability questions or brain teasers -- you just need a lot of practice.

Interview Questions

• You have two bowling balls of the same density. One has a radius of 8 and a weight of 16; the other has a radius of 12. What is its weight?   2 Answers

Trader Intern Interview

Interview

Past the first round interview and stuck on the problem on the second interview. interviewer wasn't helpful.

Interview Questions

• Two people each bids a number before throwing a 30 faced die. Whoever gets closer to the number wins and wins the amount of money equal to the number they throw. e.g I bid 15 and you bid 16. the die lands on 10 then i win 10 from you. What's the best strategy and the expected payoff.   15 Answers