Jane Street Trader Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Trader Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

4.1

Trader Intern Interview

Interview

Submitted an application a few weeks ago. Recieved a call and had to answer math questions. The interview process was nice and forgiving, and not at all unfriendly. It is a good experience to get used to quantitative reasoning.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Trader Intern Interview

Interview

Phone interview with probability questions and brainteasers. Followed by some more phone interviews. Did not make it past the first phone interview. I think you need to solve them fairly quickly.

Trader Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in April 2014.

Interview

Applied in early April, had first interview a week ago, and second interview yesterday. The interviewer for first round was really nice. Gave me some quick mental math (1,000,000 - 111, 12% of 56, etc), and he then gave me a couple probability questions. Second interview was more difficult - one warm up and then one tough question. Prepare to get wrecked.

Interview Questions

• Expected value of heads and tails of two coin flips -> E(t(10-t) = 10E(t) - E(t^2) = 50 - (25 + 10/4) = 22.5

What is the set of numbers between 2 and 30, without the same common factor (e.g. 26 and 24 share 2, so they cannot be in the same set) that will you give you a max sum?

Using the same rules, what is the highest possible number you can have in a set of 1000?   14 Answers

Trader Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2014.

Interview

applied online got an interview the next day. passed the first round waiting for the second round. The interviewer is nice. She did not ask a lot about my background. Lots of mental math and probability questions. The questions are not that tough. no pencils and paper for the first round.

Interview Questions

• Basketball player A and B. Game 1 and 2. In both game, A has a higher shooting average than B. Is it possible that B has a higher overall shooting average. Give an example if possible.   6 Answers

Trader Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Very smart individuals -- very quantitative. They are interested in how you think as opposed to whether you get the right answers (although getting the questions right doesn't hurt). You should totally practice probability questions as much as you can in order to prepare. It turns out that you don't need to be a genius to be good at probability questions or brain teasers -- you just need a lot of practice.

Interview Questions

• You have two bowling balls of the same density. One has a radius of 8 and a weight of 16; the other has a radius of 12. What is its weight?   2 Answers

Trader Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Nice people, helpful with the interview. Messed up on the third round, and could tell that they were getting impatient.

Interview Questions

• Amount you would pay for an optional reroll of a die, given that you would get the number of pips on the die as payment.   2 Answers

Trader Intern Interview

Interview

I had an interview for the trader intern position at Jane Street today. Great people, great place. They are very driven intellectually and also incredibly helpful during the interview. I submitted my application around 10 days ago, and they get back to me pretty fast. I think the first round of interview is not too difficult. Will have a second round with them soon.

Trader Intern Interview

Interview

Past the first round interview and stuck on the problem on the second interview. interviewer wasn't helpful.

Interview Questions

• Two people each bids a number before throwing a 30 faced die. Whoever gets closer to the number wins and wins the amount of money equal to the number they throw. e.g I bid 15 and you bid 16. the die lands on 10 then i win 10 from you. What's the best strategy and the expected payoff.   15 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street (Durham, NC) in February 2013.

Interview

First round on campus interview, asked three brainteasers. Second round phone interview, asked a Fermi estimation question and made theoretical trades based on my confidence in the answer to a brain teaser.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online, got emailed to schedule interview within 3 days. Email communications very effective.

On interview day (1st round), person called right on time and the interview lasted for around 30-40 mins.
    2nd round, the person called 20 mins late and the interview lasted for around an hour.

All of the interviewers are traders and they seem to like their job and the company. Very friendly and helpful. They offered help with I got stuck with the problem.

Advice: just calm down and think about the problems analytically.

Interview Questions

• Math questions like 16^3 or multiplying numbers.   1 Answer
    • Probability questions like minimum people to ensure 7 people have same birthday month   2 Answers
    • Game/gambling questions like what tactics ensures winning/better outcome   Answer Question