Jane Street Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Trader Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2017

3.7

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Phone interviews with math questions. First interview was pretty easy and they invited me to a second interview. The second interviewer never called at the scheduled time. I had to email the recruiter to ask what happened - they were "busy" and forgot. We rescheduled, but I had lost my interest by then.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through school career service. Got an email for an alternative online test. I thought I did a good job in the test and got an phone interview after the test. Rejected shortly after the phone interview. Questions are hard but the interviewer were nice and gave you some hints.

Interview Questions

• Flip a coin. Expected number of flips to get HHH. Give the value of a game.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2017.

Interview

Standard Trading interview. Had an online test, then moved to phone interview with a trader. Very little behavioral, jumped right into the technical. Took close to 50 mins, which was lot longer than I had expected.

Interview Questions

• The first player chose an integer between 1-30. The second player picks a different one. After that, a random integer (x) between 1-30 will be generated. The player whose number is closer to x get paid x dollars.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied Online and got contacted within a month for the first round phone interview. I applied for software development intern but they are full. So they set me up for the trader intern role interview. I am not good at probability at all, but the interviewer was nice and coached me through. I got rejected one day after which is very much expected.

Interview Questions

• probability related. Described a auction related situation and asked what amount of money would I pay for an item. Forgot the exact question.   Answer Question
    • birthday question.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Process was good. Was rejected at first, then they reached out to me again offering an interview. A couple of basic probability questions and one very hard probability question. Interviewer was nice / friendly, offered a hint and helped me walk through the last probability question.

Interview Questions

• Min number of people to guarantee at least 5 people share the same birthday month?   3 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in November 2016.

Interview

Received a quantitative interview via a referral from a colleague. A recruiter reached out within a week and scheduled an interview for me with a trader. We went through a series of applied probability questions over the course of fifty minutes. The entire process was pretty reasonable, but I had not had time to brush up on probability tricks so I struggled.

Interview Questions

• What is the probability that a series of fair coin flips will have an even number of heads? What if the coins are not all fair (though a subset are)?   2 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Had two phone round interviews, was dropped after the second. First was 5 short and quick probability questions, second was more in depth probability questions which were difficult for me because I have not taken any probability classes before, but not sure how difficult they would be for someone who has. Overall experience was definitely positive, always heard back within one or two business days.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and got an email within a week. I gave them my availability and got an interview within a week. My interviewer was really nice, but I don't think I did well at the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you select 5 random numbers that add up to 1   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

There were 3 phone interviews and one onsite interview. Questions got harder with each subsequent interview. They were mostly math and probability questions but the onsite interview had fun games that used poker chips. It was mostly to see how you'd do as a trader

Trader Interview

Interview

First begins with an introduction, around 6 questions total. Mental math, probability, expected value and game theory. Then a reverse interview process: ask your questions..The level of difficulty increases as you move towards the last question.