Jane Street Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2018

3.7

157 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resume online. Heard back from them fairly quickly. Scheduled a phone interview. Questions asked were not that hard. Got my rejection a few days after the interview. Very efficient.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in October 2017.

Interview

I only had a phone call, the person was nice, but it wasn't comfortable answering stat questions in the phone. When answering questions, i was guided by the interviewer when I was unsure.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

2 rounds of phone interviews, then on-sites. My recruiters followed up with me within a few hours after each interview. On-site interviews involved a tour of the office and lunch, along with 5 one-hour interviews with 1-2 Jane Street traders.

Interview Questions

• Expected value of a dice roll (and several variations).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I had three phone screens and then an onsite. The phone interviews were about 45 minutes to an hour long about statistics and probability. The onsite is some betting games with poker chips.

Interview Questions

• You roll a dice until you get a 5. What is the expected value of the minimum value rolled?   7 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was emailed a day after. There are five (?) rounds in total I believe. They are pretty clear about the interview process (the person I spoke with explained everything in the beginning of the first round interview). The first two rounds consisted of mostly probability questions. I think most of the questions were expected value and didn't require a very deep understanding of probability (just have a solid grasp of the basics). Made it to the third round but that hasn't happened yet..

Interview Questions

• If I flip four coins and give you a dollar for every head, what is the expected value of this game?   1 Answer

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Four rounds, three on the phone one in person, got to the second round, all tech questions. Everything is probability or game theory, nothing that requires serious previous knowledge but must have strong intuitions for these and be able to explain thought process well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Lot of probability questions and quantitative concept checks. Got to second round phone screen, but messed up on questions that were not too diff. Would recommend this company, make sure to have a decent handle on probability and expectation beforehand though

Interview Questions

• Probability questions regarding expected values and permutations   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview. Overall the people were very pleasant/polite throughout the process, although you can tell the culture is extremely nerdy (not a bad thing) and that there is a strong emphasis on second order knowledge / non-overconfidence.

Interview Questions

• Time for hands on clock, basic binomial probabilities, sum digits from 1 -> 1M   1 Answer

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Phone interviews with math questions. First interview was pretty easy and they invited me to a second interview. The second interviewer never called at the scheduled time. I had to email the recruiter to ask what happened - they were "busy" and forgot. We rescheduled, but I had lost my interest by then.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through school career service. Got an email for an alternative online test. I thought I did a good job in the test and got an phone interview after the test. Rejected shortly after the phone interview. Questions are hard but the interviewer were nice and gave you some hints.

Interview Questions

• Flip a coin. Expected number of flips to get HHH. Give the value of a game.   1 Answer