Jane Street Trading Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Trading Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

2.8

Trading Assistant Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street in August 2015.

Interview

To be honest, I effectively removed myself as a candidate by admitting I wanted a different role. Trading assistant is not the same as assistant trader, the former is more like "secretary" while the latter leads to becoming a full time trader.

Initial contact was made via email. I was given a small take home case to do which basically tests your basic knowledge of excel. The most complicated thing you have to do is know how to use a SUMIF function.

After that, the first phone interview consists of a few behavioral questions then mostly math problems

Honestly, even if I was looking to be an assistant and was offered this position, I wouldn't take it. There is no guarantee even if you get an offer you will keep a job since the first three months is a "trial period" after which they decide whether to keep you (also makes for an easy way to lay people off if they find they don't need additional assistants).

Questions were as follows (no pen, paper, calculator allowed)
1. Angle between hands on clock at 9:30 - I said 105 degrees. (they are three and a half hours apart since the hour hand would be at 9.5).
2. Odds of at least 2 heads in 4 even coin toss - I said 11/16 (16 possibilities 4c4 + 4c3 +4c2 = 1+4+6)
3. 15% of 135 - I said 20.25 (mental math trick 100*.15 + 30*.15 + 5*.15 = 15 + 4.5 + 0.75 = 20.25)
4. Odds a world series matchup (baseball) makes it to game 7 if even teams (50/50 chance) - I said 5/16 (odds of first 5 games ending in 3/2 are 5c3*2 = 20 / 32 possibilities = 5/8 chance, then odds of game 6 ending in 3/3 = 1/2 so 5/8*1/2 = 5/16)
5. If a bus starts with x people on it, 3/4 get off 7 get on at stop 1, same at stop 2, then again at stop 3, what is the minimum number of people who started on the bus? - I said 52 (let y = 1/4x, y mod 4 = 1 also z = .25(y + 7) mod 4 = 1, we see that z cannot be 1 since that would imply y is negative, so minimum value of z = 5. then y = 13, x =52.)

Interview Questions

• Asides from the math problems which I listed above, I was asked standard questions such as "why Jane Street" etc.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Trading Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied online and was contacted for an interview after a week. Asked to do an exercise in VBA and then had two phone interviews over the course of a week.

Interview Questions

• How many "1's" are are there between 0 and 1000000?   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

It was not that hard

Trading Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I applied via school recruiting system. got an interview notice after a week. was told to dress casually. In the interview, I was asked a lot of technical questions, from simple calculations to probability. The interviewer is definitely very smart. If I could not work out the question, he would lead me through the process.

Interview Questions

• Probability questions. It's easy to answer wrong without pencil and paper.   Answer Question

Trading Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online in October, heard back via email within 2 days to set up a phone interview, interviewed over the phone a week later. Phone interview was hard, they asked 3 probability (Expected value and coin problems) type questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the probability of getting an even number of heads when flipping an unfair coin n times?   Answer Question

Trading Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in October 2015.

Interview

first round phone interview from Hong Kong office. easy question but too nervous to answer them well. So basically, they focus on the speed and the accuracy of the problem-solving skills. in the meantime, they focus on the thinking process of the interview. good luck.

Interview Questions

• 15% of 174, angle between 9:30,   1 Answer

Trading Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Jane Street in August 2014.

Interview

went in via a agency, got telephone interview, one of many rounds. The interview focuses on mental maths, quick multiplication and subtraction questions. Also basic probability theory.
    no competency questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• was something like 3 chickens lay 1.5 eggs in 3 days, how many eggs are laid in 9 days with 9 chickens (can't remember the exact numbers)   1 Answer