Jawbone Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jawbone Interview Questions

Interviews at Jawbone

2.8

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jawbone (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online, interview process was fast: 1) phone screen with HR / recruiter, 2) technical interview with future manager over the phone (< 45 minutes) 3) flight to an on-site interview that went on for something like 5-6 hours total.

The onsite interview was with engineering management, as well as three other engineers, and covered mostly practical and applied engineering topics, but also included a few brain teasers.

Lunch was provided, and there was a "culture fit" interview with an employee over lunch as well.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected -- you should prepare with some algorithm questions, but also have had some experience with their programming languages of choice for your interview (e.g., Python for non-mobile development)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Jawbone (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Worst company to interview for. Total waste of time. I was contacted by an HR for a Software Engineering position. He then scheduled a technical phone interview. During the interview, my interviewer said he wants me to come for an onsite. I mentioned that I have an onsite in the Bay Area with some other company. I was asked to give an onsite interview during my pre planned trip but because of some commitments I said I won't be able to interview during this trip.

After this I didn't get any reply from the HR for the next 3 weeks. I sent 4 emails, contacted the HR and the interviewer on Linkedin, but still they haven't replied. I got a reply from the HR after my 5th email nearly 4 weeks after my interview. He said they will interview me if I am coming to bay area for some other company.

If you are not willing to pay for an onsite trip, why do you interview people outside of Bay area? The entire interview process is a sheer waste of time and efforts. HR is really unprofessional and they have no regards for the people who are trying to find a job.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were straight forward and easy. Don't waste your time behind this company.   Answer Question

Unprofessional behavior from the HR. No replies to the email, company not willing to pay for the travel, very bad interview experience and because of all this, I don't want to join a company wherein they don't value people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jawbone (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

---
    Good:
     ‌• Free (catered) food, drinks, and swag
     ‌• Most of my interviewers professional and polite, some were not

Bad:
     ‌• Overselling of the position/product
     ‌• Lack of communication/professionalism
     ‌• No interview reimbursement
     ‌• Limited contact information (intentionally obscured, unreachable)
     ‌• Difficult parking (expected)

Standard interview process; phone screen and an on-site interview. Very laid back and most of the interview went off without a hitch except with some HR (see below) Definitely enjoyed the interview overall.

Culture is the typical SF warehouse setup, laid back -- but a bit chaotic for my taste (long tables where you work shoulder to shoulder). This makes it hard to define your own space/area, typical for some SF-based companies.

Great location and close to a lot of other companies in the area, definite plus for tech diversity.

My only complaint is dealing with HR for reimbursements, it's been over 6 months now and I still haven't heard back. So unlike most other technical companies where they pay your way, this one in particular will be a "sunk cost" and may be glaring red flags of how the company operates overall. I believe if this is how they operate over trivial travel expenses that it would much worse for any other expenses you might incur as a candidate (i.e. relocation, etc). I would not recommend interviewing with Jawbone if you were not in the SF area.

Interview Questions

• Know your data structures and algorithms, these questions are practical in nature and aren't meant to stump you (Python).   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Jawbone.

Interview

3 phone interviews. 1. HR
                                     2. Hiring Manager
                                     3. Employee interview
    The process was simple and there were a few questions that were to see culture fit. The manager was very nice and was interested so see interests.

Interview Questions

• Past projects. Software Experience. Some questions related to trees and algorithms.   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jawbone (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Five 40-minute interviews. Talked to two designers and the rest were marketing managers. Pretty standard questions about design process, portfolio review, strengths vs weaknesses, past job experience, future career goals, etc.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Jawbone.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by email a week later. Talk with the recruiter about my interests. Then talked with a team Manager. Then I talked with the Engineering team and finally I had an on site interview talking with several members of the team I could potentially work with. Questions were simple and they wanted to understand my interests and how I could help further the company goals.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jawbone (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The hiring process with Jawbone was great. There was a bit of a delay in communication at times, but I was going through my rounds of phone interviews around the holidays, so just about everyone I was talking to had the same issue. Most of my communication went through a recruiter who was great, responsive, and easy to work with. I had 3 phone interviews before they offered to fly me out to the bay area, The first one was just with the recruiter and was the very simple "Hey, we're interested in you, here's what we do, are you interested?" type interviews. The second and third were 1 hour phone interviews with engineers. I was asked a few technical questions and did a bit of semi-challenging coding in a shared document. These interviews happened in pretty quick succession over two weeks or so, and they were generally prompt with letting me know next steps.

After the holidays past they called to let me know they wanted to fly me out to SF for on-site interviews. They were very easy to schedule with and set up all the plans. Very accommodating. The interview had a pretty standard format. Several consecutive ~1 hour interviews with different members of related technical teams. Each one talking about your experience and asking questions both about design and implementation involving white board coding.

All the interviewers were very friendly, helpful if you were stuck or confused about the question, easy to talk to and get along with, and it was a wonderful interview experience.

Interview Questions

• In as much technical detail as possible, how would you design the infrastructure for a twitter-like site (at scale).   1 Answer
    • Design and implement (preferably in python) a simple client and server application to upload/receive files, with the ability to resume interrupted files.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very easy. I had done my homework on salaries from them and in the area in general for similar positions and they gave me the upper end of the range I specified (based on evaluated skill level). The benefits package is also great.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jawbone (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Contacted by their recruiter, followed by a talk with the hiring manager. It was mostly about my background and his introduction of the team. Went to on-site the next week. It was composed of 3 tech interviews with engineers and one chitchat with a manager. The technical interview went well. I specifically liked one coding question which was more like real life work for a backend engineer. The other two were pretty standard interview questions.

Contacted by the recruiter the next few day to talk about the next step. I was honest to him, saying I was not quite sure to join them after the interview, and I would like to think about it. They didn't continue.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jawbone.

Interview

Recruiter phone Screening interview
    Hiring manager phone interview
    In person 4 hour interviews with people from different teams
    F2F Interview with Director

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jawbone (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Entire interview process was very slow. Recruiter reached out to me with an opportunity schedule a phone interview after a week and then onsite interview with 5 people. Interview was fully non technical just going through your background. No white board coding.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They gave me more then my expectation so there was no point of negotiation.