John Deere Product Engineer Interview Questions in Iowa | Glassdoor

John Deere Product Engineer Interview Questions in Iowa

Updated Feb 22, 2017

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Des Moines, IA).

Interview

Initiated with a phone interview by the hiring manager, then brought in for the face-to-face interview, heavy behavioral question styled interview, typically 3 interviewers, not focused much on the technical background, needed to call HR 3 weeks later to ask for the status.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation when you had to take risks to complete your tasks/projects and the outcome was successful as you expected.

Tell me a situation when you had to take risks to complete your tasks/projects and the outcome was unsuccessful. How did you address the problem?
    1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for John Deere

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA).

Interview

I applied online to one of the general new hire engineering positions and received an email a couple months later asking if I would be interested in interviewing for an open position. They then flew me out for an interview. I interviewed with 3 different managers, each interview was about 1 hr long. Interview based on the STAR method. Gave a factory tour in between interviews to help break it up so they all weren't back to back. Received an offer about a week to 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Most questions began with, "Tell me about a time when... you had to work with a difficult team member, a problem had 2 solutions and what you did to come to a final solution   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate as salary was higher than I expected

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA) in March 2013.

Interview

Very comfortable and friendly atmosphere. Interview took about 4-5 hours and included 3 different hiring managers and an HR representative. Overall I really enjoyed the interview. It gave me the impression I am talking to friends and we are just trading experiences and expectations. I walked away thinking I had given an accurate picture of who I am, what I am capable of and in return gained a good understanding of what my job duties would include.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions mainly targeted two distinct areas:
      1. Basic technical understanding to be expected from an engineer, nothing too technical or any challenging problem to solve. Mainly presenting yourself and your technical understanding based on your past experiences.
      2. People skills: can you collaborate with multiple different people from various different groups.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation possible. John Deere HR is doing a great job making competitive offers. E.g. I was asking for more vacation days, but was not able to negotiate. The only thing that helped in the negotiating process was an offer from a different company that I had received at the same time. This allowed for comparison/leverage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA) in September 2012.

Interview

Met with recruiters at a College Fair. I was invited to an information session which was held a week later. 2 days after the information session I received a phone call to schedule the initial interview. The initial interview was held at a John Deere office just off campus. A week after the interview I was told that I had been selected for the second interview which was to be held at John Deere World Headquarters in Moline, IL. They paid for my bus trip as well as the hotel and for food over the trip. The second round of interviews involved meeting two engineers near their headquarters, followed by a tour of their headquarters.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you worked in a group and had a problem with another person that you were working with. How did you deal with the situation and what was the result   Answer Question

I received an offer from another company which offered a better location, salary, and had a better reputation in my field.

Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

Application

I interviewed at John Deere (Dubuque, IA) in May 2010.

Interview

One whole day, from breakfast when someone came to the hotel to pick up, then stopped by the HR department to meet the contact person, followed by the technical interviews with one-on-one interviews with department managers and others. SMART question-and-answer was used. Try to think about the past experiences where difficult situation and people were encountered.

Interview Questions

• What was most challenging situation in the past career?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA) in April 2009.

Interview

Phone interview and onsite interview with 4 people.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you weren't successful and what did you do about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as this was my first job out of college.