John Hancock Interview Questions | Glassdoor

John Hancock Interview Questions

Updated Feb 11, 2017

2.9

Senior Business Consultant Interview

Interview

The HR Representative from JHI got in touch with me on Linkedin and after several back and forth emails, she arranged a screening call at the end of December. At the end of the call I posed on a question on sponsoring visa and permanent sponsorship, it seemed this question irked her and she went on this topic for the next 1 minute or so and then insisted that she will arrange another meetup by the following week. Its been almost 2 months now and I have not received any updates so far. I spoke to the HR Recruiter from JHI and she promised that she will pass on the feedback. I am still awaiting communication on this. Overall, I am extremely disappointed with the whole process and gives me a good insight on how JHI works. I would recommend staying away.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online through a campus job posting and was contacted to set up an on-campus interview. It consisted on back-to-back 30 minute interviews, one with a manager and one with an HR representative. The HR rep was friendly, but the manager was rude and condescending. I had a chance to talk to some of the first and second year staff members before the interview, who I found to be very helpful, and then the manager made negative comments about these employees for seemingly no reason. It seemed very unprofessional. It also bothered me how they were overly selective and acted like this was such a prestigious program, when it really is not. I didn't hear back from them yet and I'm not expecting an invite to the final round, nor do I want one. I interviewed with many companies and this experience stands out as being the most unpleasant.

Interview Questions

• What questions do you have for me?   1 Answer

John Hancock Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing a review of your interview. As we constantly strive to improve and optimize the candidate experience, we would welcome the opportunity to learn more from you. Please email us ... More

Business Analyst Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

The first interview was mostly questions about resume and getting to know candidate. The interviewer took some time to explain role and company. The interview process has one interview and then one in office "Superday". I was not invited to the superday after having a conflict with the date and was never given a reason as to why I was not invited otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you overcame a challenge in a group setting.   Answer Question

Assistant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Providence, RI) in October 2016.

Interview

Two people in the finance department came on campus to interview me. They just asked me to go through my resume and talk about major points. At the time I was studying to get my CFA level 1 and they asked a lot of questions about that (how much I'm studying, how I make time to study, if I have a tutor, etc.). Both people were very nice and welcoming. I had not prepared detailed enough questions to ask because I was prepared to speak with an HR representative. Had I known I would be speaking with people in the department I was applying for I would have asked some questions about the DOL ruling or market volatility.
    Three weeks after the interview I got a very curt email saying I would not be getting a second interview.
    Overall this was a positive experience, I learned how valuable the questions at the end of the interview are and I learned that maybe a job in active asset management is not for me.

Interview Questions

• Why are you seeking a job as an analyst as opposed to an investment banker or securities trader?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was very quick. I talked to a recruiter at a career fair briefly and handed him my resume. Two weeks later I got a call asking me to come to Boston for a on-site interview. During the day, you interview with 4 people and then go to lunch with someone else. Overall, most of the questions were pretty straightforward. They are just trying to learn more about you and what type of worker you will be.

Interview Questions

• In the future, do you see yourself becoming a manager or a specialist in one area?   Answer Question

IT Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock.

Interview

Got called for a phone interview from a HR rep in Canada. Se said she would get back to me by the end of the next day if I would be called in for an interview. She did not, however she did email a week later with a poorly written email why she did not get back to me. She then said the team wanted to interview me. I went in to interview with the team. It went very well. I sent the HR rep feedback and that I was interested in the job. I asked for feedback twice professionally and politely over the next few weeks I never heard back from the HR rep.

Interview Questions

• Situation type questions what I would do in certain situations overview of my work history.   Answer Question

Economic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interviewer was visibly disinterested in me and what I was talking about, and ended the interview 20 minutes earlier. Questions were very standard and didn't seem to be tailored to my background and academic knowledge. While I left knowing I wouldn't receive an offer, I felt insulted and felt that my time was wasted. I wouldn't have accepted an offer even if one was extended to me, if I knew this was how I was going to be respected at the company as an intern.

Funds Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

I went in for an interview and it was pretty straight forward, mostly behavioral questions. I thought the interview went great and they told me they would get back to me within two weeks. Two weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I sent a follow up email to which the recruiter responded and said they were still making final decisions. Fast forward another four weeks and I get a call from the recruiter saying I didn't get the position. No explanation or anything after they made me wait four more weeks than they originally said it would take. The whole recruiting process seemed a little arbitrary as I know someone who is less qualified than I am got a position. It's not a huge deal now because I transferred to a top 20 university and have had interviews will far mor prestigious firms: Goldman, JP Morgan, and Morgan Stanley. I'm just a little bitter because of how random and unorganized the whole recruiting process seemed.

Professional Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

1 day interview process, with two different persons. Very formal process. Responses are a little bit slow. Interviewers were staffs from their respective departments. It was in their downtown Boston location at the Prudential Mall.

Interview Questions

• Depend of the person. But not a lot of questions. Just talked about the company mostly.   Answer Question

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Interview

3 round interview meeting with two people at a time. They want to see that you are knowledgeable about their investment products and the capital market. I wasn't knowledgeable about the market and knew the basics of the products they offered. If you want to be an Internal wholesaler you better know the market and have some background in the field this isnt for college grads like myself.

Interview Questions

• Why the field of investments?   1 Answer