John Hancock Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Registered Principal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at John Hancock (Saint Petersburg, FL).

Interview

Very timely, received an email to set up a phone screening with recruiter 2 days after applying. Basic questions regarding salary expectations, distance to office, tell me about yourself, and tell me why you want this role. Formal interview scheduled day after phone interview. Offer followed the day after the formal interview. Interview questions were structured around challenges and expectations of the position and working environment, didn't waste time with basic questions regarding strengths, weaknesses, or silly questions to throw you off. Had ability to demonstrate strengths and ability to excel in role through other questions in the interview. Good structured interview tailored to getting to know you as an applicant and your ability to perform in the given role and contribute to the team/company. Standard one hour block interview with one manager, although ours did run a bit longer. Potential for second interview with other management staff depending on position and initial interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position?   Answer Question
    • (Since management would be at a different location) Questions regarding work environment preferences, comfort level working with offsite management, management styles etc   Answer Question
    • (Since position requires client & internal dept interaction) Tell me about a time (e.g. demonstrating passion for providing client-centric solutions / went above and beyond assisting colleague)   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you disagreed with a decision by management / by another department. (Two similar questions)   Answer Question

Apr 4, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing a review. We certainly take pride in what we do and are happy to hear that you are having a great experience with us!

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at John Hancock.

Interview

Spoke to hiring manager by phone (position was home based), answered questions about my experience. Discussed salary expectations, work availability, experience. I was able to ask many questions of interviewer. It was quick and professional.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

Jun 14, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing a review of your interview. We are constantly striving to improve and optimize the candidate experience and feedback from candidates can only help us deliver on this commitment.

Sales Interview

Interview

Short. Not very formal. Very few questions. Laid back. Wanted to know about what I was going to bring to the table in regards to leads, had me make a list of family and friends, the question was who would you invite to your wedding and make a list.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

May 16, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing a review of your interview. As we constantly strive to improve and optimize the candidate experience, we would welcome the opportunity to learn more from you at ... More

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Got the interview invitation a week after submit the application. The interviewer was nice and friendly. The questions are mainly behavioral questions, wasn't to hard but need to prepare.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

Jun 15, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing a review on your interview experience. We constantly strive to improve and optimize the candidate experience, so we really appreciate your feedback.

Actuarial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

The process went for two weeks. And they declined me two weeks after, The total interview holding for 30 mins. It was a person to person interview. The HR pretty nice.

Interview Questions

• More about relevant experience. Like experience about my internship before or my intention to start my project.   Answer Question

May 8, 2017 – Campus Talent Acquisition & Social Media Specialist

Thank you for sharing this review. We constantly strive for the best candidate experience, and we are happy to hear yours was a positive one!

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Hancock in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted my application online on Sunday, received an email two days later to schedule a phone interview. Then had a second round phone interview two days after that. Both interviews were mostly behavioral questions, with a few basic finance questions (active vs passive management, etc.). I was told I would hear within a few days if I had made it to the final round. However, I never heard back - I followed up with the recruiter as well as the interviewer and never received a response. Obviously I did not get the position, but I'm not sure why they couldn't at least email me to let me know.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

May 22, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide feedback. We are sorry to hear your negative comments around your experience and we are sharing these internally. If you wish to follow up ... More

Senior Business Consultant Interview

Interview

The HR Representative from JHI got in touch with me on Linkedin and after several back and forth emails, she arranged a screening call at the end of December. At the end of the call I posed on a question on sponsoring visa and permanent sponsorship, it seemed this question irked her and she went on this topic for the next 1 minute or so and then insisted that she will arrange another meetup by the following week. Its been almost 2 months now and I have not received any updates so far. I spoke to the HR Recruiter from JHI and she promised that she will pass on the feedback. I am still awaiting communication on this. Overall, I am extremely disappointed with the whole process and gives me a good insight on how JHI works. I would recommend staying away.

Actuarial Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (New York, NY).

Interview

Talked with 5 people in total about an hour each then with a current associate for lunch. Each actuary seemed to focus on one area. Lunch was pretty informal and I had a good conversation with everyone.

Interview Questions

• What kind of hardships have you experienced and how did you overcome them?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Very structured and straightforward interview with great people. They are very clear with what next steps are and are great about communication. You will have a case on the last round of interviews with a team. Not very difficult at all, just communicate and remain calm.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

Mar 17, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for posting a review on your interview experience. As we strive towards a great candidate experience for all, your feedback is just what we need to ensure this happens consistently. We are ... More

Financial Advising Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at John Hancock.

Interview

Applied through a staffing agency. Got placed with JH and got a phone interview. Interviewed with President Financial Advisor. Offered position the next day over email. All behavioral questions and didn't ask anything technical at all.

Interview Questions

• What is your most important involvement as related to this position? What skills did it give you?   Answer Question