John Hancock Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 15, 2017

2.7

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online through a campus job posting and was contacted to set up an on-campus interview. It consisted on back-to-back 30 minute interviews, one with a manager and one with an HR representative. The HR rep was friendly, but the manager was rude and condescending. I had a chance to talk to some of the first and second year staff members before the interview, who I found to be very helpful, and then the manager made negative comments about these employees for seemingly no reason. It seemed very unprofessional. It also bothered me how they were overly selective and acted like this was such a prestigious program, when it really is not. I didn't hear back from them yet and I'm not expecting an invite to the final round, nor do I want one. I interviewed with many companies and this experience stands out as being the most unpleasant.

Interview Questions

• What questions do you have for me?   1 Answer

John Hancock Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing a review of your interview. As we constantly strive to improve and optimize the candidate experience, we would welcome the opportunity to learn more from you. Please email us... More

Business Analyst Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

The first interview was mostly questions about resume and getting to know candidate. The interviewer took some time to explain role and company. The interview process has one interview and then one in office "Superday". I was not invited to the superday after having a conflict with the date and was never given a reason as to why I was not invited otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you overcame a challenge in a group setting.   Answer Question

Assistant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Providence, RI) in October 2016.

Interview

Two people in the finance department came on campus to interview me. They just asked me to go through my resume and talk about major points. At the time I was studying to get my CFA level 1 and they asked a lot of questions about that (how much I'm studying, how I make time to study, if I have a tutor, etc.). Both people were very nice and welcoming. I had not prepared detailed enough questions to ask because I was prepared to speak with an HR representative. Had I known I would be speaking with people in the department I was applying for I would have asked some questions about the DOL ruling or market volatility.
    Three weeks after the interview I got a very curt email saying I would not be getting a second interview.
    Overall this was a positive experience, I learned how valuable the questions at the end of the interview are and I learned that maybe a job in active asset management is not for me.

Interview Questions

• Why are you seeking a job as an analyst as opposed to an investment banker or securities trader?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was very quick. I talked to a recruiter at a career fair briefly and handed him my resume. Two weeks later I got a call asking me to come to Boston for a on-site interview. During the day, you interview with 4 people and then go to lunch with someone else. Overall, most of the questions were pretty straightforward. They are just trying to learn more about you and what type of worker you will be.

Interview Questions

• In the future, do you see yourself becoming a manager or a specialist in one area?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (New York, NY).

Interview

First you do a phone interview with HR and then you do two on-site interviews with managers, typically on the same day. The whole process took maybe two weeks, however with background checks and getting fingerprints done, It took about a month.

Interview Questions

• Very simple and to the point questions. What is your work experience? How do you handle tough situations with co-workers/management? What is your biggest strength and biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied from a staffing company, the process took about 1 week. First it's phone interview, and after about 3 days, on-site interview with two managers. The interview process is fast and interview questions are not hard.

Interview Questions

• Mostly SQL questions, how to join tables, select top varialbes....and some Python question. Finally, How do you handle multiple projects on hand?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock.

Interview

Good. Phone interview and screen and then two on-site interviews with manager and VP. Offer follow-up came about ten days later. I was excited at the time. Overalle experience ok.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

CPA Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

John Hancock's recruitment process was shady from the start. JH had a reputation on my campus as being unduly selective, much more so than the banks or the Big 4. However none could figure out why. And unlike these other firms, JH didn't have a workable program; this CPA development thing had yet to "graduate" a new hire into a role at the company. Seemed like a work in process...

Their recruiters would have us, the students, believe that their selection was purely merit and character based. This couldn't be farther from the truth. This program and it's architect (Jeff N.) demonstrate a heavy bias in favor of low-tier schools with connected alumni. This was quite obvious by who they invited to their "superday", and more so when the offers went out.

Although JH is a great company, and one I may very well apply for again, I'd strongly recommend college juniors and seniors to avoid this program like the Zika virus, especially if you're from a top school such as Northeastern, Boston University, or Babson College.

(Side note: at superday they asked us to "dress up like John Hancock and explain to the room why this is the best opportunity to take out of college"). This was their way to evaluate your public speaking. Let that sink in.

Their recruiters are practically bought out from schools not worth naming. And they'll surely waste your time.

Interview Questions

• In 10 minutes, write about the most difficult obstacle you over came, what you learned from it, and how that lesson can be applied to this job.   1 Answer

John Hancock Response

Jul 18, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Our goal is to consistently provide a positive candidate experience for all and it is disappointing to hear that was not the case. We are sharing this... More

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

~2 weeks after application was contacted for a phone interview. Pretty simple overview of the position and my background. Was then asked to come up to Boston to interview and meet the team. Although I was there for 5 hours it was a pretty relaxed process, no difficult questions. Met with several people to discuss the position and how my background met the requirements

IT Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock.

Interview

Got called for a phone interview from a HR rep in Canada. Se said she would get back to me by the end of the next day if I would be called in for an interview. She did not, however she did email a week later with a poorly written email why she did not get back to me. She then said the team wanted to interview me. I went in to interview with the team. It went very well. I sent the HR rep feedback and that I was interested in the job. I asked for feedback twice professionally and politely over the next few weeks I never heard back from the HR rep.

Interview Questions

• Situation type questions what I would do in certain situations overview of my work history.   Answer Question