John Hancock Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

2.7

CPA Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

John Hancock's recruitment process was shady from the start. JH had a reputation on my campus as being unduly selective, much more so than the banks or the Big 4. However none could figure out why. And unlike these other firms, JH didn't have a workable program; this CPA development thing had yet to "graduate" a new hire into a role at the company. Seemed like a work in process...

Their recruiters would have us, the students, believe that their selection was purely merit and character based. This couldn't be farther from the truth. This program and it's architect (Jeff N.) demonstrate a heavy bias in favor of low-tier schools with connected alumni. This was quite obvious by who they invited to their "superday", and more so when the offers went out.

Although JH is a great company, and one I may very well apply for again, I'd strongly recommend college juniors and seniors to avoid this program like the Zika virus, especially if you're from a top school such as Northeastern, Boston University, or Babson College.

(Side note: at superday they asked us to "dress up like John Hancock and explain to the room why this is the best opportunity to take out of college"). This was their way to evaluate your public speaking. Let that sink in.

Their recruiters are practically bought out from schools not worth naming. And they'll surely waste your time.

Interview Questions

• In 10 minutes, write about the most difficult obstacle you over came, what you learned from it, and how that lesson can be applied to this job.   1 Answer

John Hancock Response

Jul 18, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Our goal is to consistently provide a positive candidate experience for all and it is disappointing to hear that was not the case. We are sharing this... More

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

~2 weeks after application was contacted for a phone interview. Pretty simple overview of the position and my background. Was then asked to come up to Boston to interview and meet the team. Although I was there for 5 hours it was a pretty relaxed process, no difficult questions. Met with several people to discuss the position and how my background met the requirements

IT Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock.

Interview

Got called for a phone interview from a HR rep in Canada. Se said she would get back to me by the end of the next day if I would be called in for an interview. She did not, however she did email a week later with a poorly written email why she did not get back to me. She then said the team wanted to interview me. I went in to interview with the team. It went very well. I sent the HR rep feedback and that I was interested in the job. I asked for feedback twice professionally and politely over the next few weeks I never heard back from the HR rep.

Interview Questions

• Situation type questions what I would do in certain situations overview of my work history.   Answer Question

Junior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Came into the office and met with my potential manager and system director. We went over each part of my resume (no rushed pitch). I talked about my experience/schooling and they asked questions so it was quite conversational. Then they went over what the team does, what the intern is responsible, and they expect it to be conversational so listen up and ask questions based off what you hear.

Interview Questions

• What were your favorite college classes and why?   1 Answer

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied through company website. They sent me an email scheduling an in person interview. Lasted an hour and a half and I had 3 different 30 minute sessions. In total I met with 5 different people.

Interview Questions

I accepted another offer with a different investment management company

Economic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interviewer was visibly disinterested in me and what I was talking about, and ended the interview 20 minutes earlier. Questions were very standard and didn't seem to be tailored to my background and academic knowledge. While I left knowing I wouldn't receive an offer, I felt insulted and felt that my time was wasted. I wouldn't have accepted an offer even if one was extended to me, if I knew this was how I was going to be respected at the company as an intern.

CPA Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

There were two rounds: one on campus, one in the office. The first round was two 30 minute interviews with the hiring manager, who focused more on general questions, and someone from talent aquisition, who focused more on questions related to team work and work ethic. Both interviewers were very nice. Some questions caught me off guard a little, but I managed to answer them. The second round is a half day in the office. It consisted of two more interviews, a writing sample, a group activity and presentation, lunch, and networking. It was overall an amazing experience and not as nerve-wracking as one might think. In this round, one interviewer focused on personality and behavior and the other focused on critical thinking and problem solving skills. These interviewers were from various departments in the company and were very nice. Again, some questions threw me off but I did well. Overall, fairly difficult interview process, but manageable. Offers went out the same day as the final round in the late afternoon/early evening.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of a time you used critical thinking skills?   Answer Question

Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I gotta write this review for future foreign fellows: I was referred to this position by a recruiter, later interviewed by the hiring manager and director. The interview went smooth and they included a writing test in the end. They asked basic questions including major responsibilities on my previous job (they are similar), audit techniques, critical thinking, capability to work independently, communication with team members, etc. One day after I got an verbal offer. I asked for a little more than what they want to pay me and it got accepted. I got an official offer with a start date they decided in about a week. The PROBLEM was, which made me feel so hurt in the end, I am a stay-home mom and a foreigner, so I started providing all the documents to the immigration lawyer they use and looking for daycare for my child. Their lawyer has been in touch all the time with me for 1.5 weeks and all of sudden, one day I got a phone call from HR saying that they want to rescind my offer. The reason is just because of my foreign identification they think I can't really start on the date they specified. Did I get tricked? This was so frustrating because they collected all my personal information before they sent out this offer. Isn't it their due diligence to figure out if I will be able to start on a specific date after they talk to their lawyer? I have arranged a lot of things in my life, my husband took a day off while I went to their office for fingerprint and ID photo. I put in $2K deposit for my child's daycare. The experience with this company has been so unprofessional to me, but definitely I know it wouldn't bother the citizens here, so just a FYI for people who may need to see. Watch out for the potential risk!

Interview Questions

• Auditing experience on my previous job/clients
      Auditing techniques
      Examples of Communication skills
      Capabilities to work overtime   1 Answer

Retirement Plan Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

short interview with Human Resources then another with hiring manager. they asked me about my experience and my desire to work in Retirement Plan Services. the firm never got back to me after the position after the interview.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

Mar 17, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing a review of your interview. We are constantly striving to improve and optimize the candidate experience and feedback from candidates can only help us deliver on this commitment... More

Funds Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

I went in for an interview and it was pretty straight forward, mostly behavioral questions. I thought the interview went great and they told me they would get back to me within two weeks. Two weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I sent a follow up email to which the recruiter responded and said they were still making final decisions. Fast forward another four weeks and I get a call from the recruiter saying I didn't get the position. No explanation or anything after they made me wait four more weeks than they originally said it would take. The whole recruiting process seemed a little arbitrary as I know someone who is less qualified than I am got a position. It's not a huge deal now because I transferred to a top 20 university and have had interviews will far mor prestigious firms: Goldman, JP Morgan, and Morgan Stanley. I'm just a little bitter because of how random and unorganized the whole recruiting process seemed.