John Hancock Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 15, 2017

2.7

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied through company website. They sent me an email scheduling an in person interview. Lasted an hour and a half and I had 3 different 30 minute sessions. In total I met with 5 different people.

Interview Questions

I accepted another offer with a different investment management company

Economic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interviewer was visibly disinterested in me and what I was talking about, and ended the interview 20 minutes earlier. Questions were very standard and didn't seem to be tailored to my background and academic knowledge. While I left knowing I wouldn't receive an offer, I felt insulted and felt that my time was wasted. I wouldn't have accepted an offer even if one was extended to me, if I knew this was how I was going to be respected at the company as an intern.

CPA Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

There were two rounds: one on campus, one in the office. The first round was two 30 minute interviews with the hiring manager, who focused more on general questions, and someone from talent aquisition, who focused more on questions related to team work and work ethic. Both interviewers were very nice. Some questions caught me off guard a little, but I managed to answer them. The second round is a half day in the office. It consisted of two more interviews, a writing sample, a group activity and presentation, lunch, and networking. It was overall an amazing experience and not as nerve-wracking as one might think. In this round, one interviewer focused on personality and behavior and the other focused on critical thinking and problem solving skills. These interviewers were from various departments in the company and were very nice. Again, some questions threw me off but I did well. Overall, fairly difficult interview process, but manageable. Offers went out the same day as the final round in the late afternoon/early evening.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of a time you used critical thinking skills?   Answer Question

Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I gotta write this review for future foreign fellows: I was referred to this position by a recruiter, later interviewed by the hiring manager and director. The interview went smooth and they included a writing test in the end. They asked basic questions including major responsibilities on my previous job (they are similar), audit techniques, critical thinking, capability to work independently, communication with team members, etc. One day after I got an verbal offer. I asked for a little more than what they want to pay me and it got accepted. I got an official offer with a start date they decided in about a week. The PROBLEM was, which made me feel so hurt in the end, I am a stay-home mom and a foreigner, so I started providing all the documents to the immigration lawyer they use and looking for daycare for my child. Their lawyer has been in touch all the time with me for 1.5 weeks and all of sudden, one day I got a phone call from HR saying that they want to rescind my offer. The reason is just because of my foreign identification they think I can't really start on the date they specified. Did I get tricked? This was so frustrating because they collected all my personal information before they sent out this offer. Isn't it their due diligence to figure out if I will be able to start on a specific date after they talk to their lawyer? I have arranged a lot of things in my life, my husband took a day off while I went to their office for fingerprint and ID photo. I put in $2K deposit for my child's daycare. The experience with this company has been so unprofessional to me, but definitely I know it wouldn't bother the citizens here, so just a FYI for people who may need to see. Watch out for the potential risk!

Interview Questions

• Auditing experience on my previous job/clients
      Auditing techniques
      Examples of Communication skills
      Capabilities to work overtime   1 Answer

Retirement Plan Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

short interview with Human Resources then another with hiring manager. they asked me about my experience and my desire to work in Retirement Plan Services. the firm never got back to me after the position after the interview.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

Mar 17, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing a review of your interview. We are constantly striving to improve and optimize the candidate experience and feedback from candidates can only help us deliver on this commitment... More

Funds Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

I went in for an interview and it was pretty straight forward, mostly behavioral questions. I thought the interview went great and they told me they would get back to me within two weeks. Two weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I sent a follow up email to which the recruiter responded and said they were still making final decisions. Fast forward another four weeks and I get a call from the recruiter saying I didn't get the position. No explanation or anything after they made me wait four more weeks than they originally said it would take. The whole recruiting process seemed a little arbitrary as I know someone who is less qualified than I am got a position. It's not a huge deal now because I transferred to a top 20 university and have had interviews will far mor prestigious firms: Goldman, JP Morgan, and Morgan Stanley. I'm just a little bitter because of how random and unorganized the whole recruiting process seemed.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

It consisted of two interviews. The first interviewer was very friendly and nice. The man that I interviewed with was somewhat rude. After the second interview I was no longer interested in the company.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

I networked in through someone I knew. Everyone I spoke with was incredibly open to helping me network with other employees. It took some time, but I finally found the right person who had a connection with my target department. She passed on my resume and I was hired after one in-person interview with the head of the department. I was offered the job immediately and we negotiated a bit on salary. From the first email setting up an interview to being hired was about one week.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a lot about my project management experience   Answer Question

Negotiation

Definitely negotiate for a higher salary - mine went up 20% after negotiation.

Retirement Plan Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

1hr phone interview with a manger then 2 online personality assessments. Then in-person interview with 2 managers, then a 5 minute presentation on any topic (for all 4 managers), then interview with 2 other managers. Then 2 people from the sales desk take you to lunch so you can ask them anything you want.

Interview Questions

• Most questions revolve around your background & the personality assessment.   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

3 rounds, simple case questions and focus on previous experience. They are more focused on specific questions in each round. In round, it is more behavioural and situation based questions. They will try to put forward odd cases from real experience. Next two rounds are more focused on technical and analytical skills.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

May 16, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition