John Hancock Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 15, 2017

2.7

Mutuals Funds Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

Typical of a large shop, a junior HR recruiter calls for an initial phone screen for pay requirements and the availability for an interview. Arrived at building at was required to fill out a ton of paperwork.

Met with the MF Director and another guy in her office. Both very nice provided a solid overview of the company, the culture at JH as compared to other mutual fund shops and the expectations for the job role. Questions were great and targeted to the job role and leadership responsibilities.

Next, I was interviewed by 2 junior level managers. Both seemed unprepared and both just struggled to ask relevant questions. One was asking questions out of scope to try and stump me. Last I met with HR staff member to debrief the interview.

Shortly after the interview I called HR to inform them that I was no longer interested in the position. Good senior level leadership in the MF area, though the junior level managers were as impressive.

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

1) Apply online
    2) Personality Assessment
    3) In person interview. I had to prepare a 5min presentation on a topic of my choice that I gave to to managers. After the presentation I had 3-30min interview with two hiring managers at a time (a total of six managers). It was certainly a long and somewhat intimidating interview. I also had the opportunity to shadow a current Internal during this interview.

I was received a verbal offer a week after my in person interview.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you?
      General questions about financial markets and market outlooks   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Met with two people from the team. The conversation flowed very naturally and felt informal. Relaxed atmosphere and the interviewers weren't intimidating. One of them was ask and tell and the other one talked during the majority of my interview. I met them both separately and my slotted time actually went overtime because we talked so much.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions but one of the interviewers also asked me situational questions   Answer Question

Senior Financial Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

I talked to the hiring manager and then came into the office for a full round of interviews with eight people. Then I completed a writing/editing test, which was fairly standard.

John Hancock Response

May 16, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for posting a review on your interview experience. As we strive towards a great candidate experience for all, your feedback is just what we need to ensure this happens consistently.

Associate Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

As a first-time co-op, Hancock expected that I knew little to nothing about the inner workings of a financial advisory firm, but wanted to make sure I was going to be a good fit and had a decent head on my shoulders. There was a first round, then a subsequent follow-up to select a final candidate. Much of the interview centered on "coachability," long-term outlook, and ensuring that I had proven myself a dedicated worker in the classroom and (as a college athlete) on the field.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years? What do you want to be at that point?   Answer Question

John Hancock Response

Aug 10, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing a review of your interview. We are constantly striving to improve and optimize the candidate experience and feedback from candidates can only help us deliver on this commitment.

Professional Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

1 day interview process, with two different persons. Very formal process. Responses are a little bit slow. Interviewers were staffs from their respective departments. It was in their downtown Boston location at the Prudential Mall.

Interview Questions

• Depend of the person. But not a lot of questions. Just talked about the company mostly.   Answer Question

Actuarial Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock.

Interview

I applied through their online portal and got referred by an employee. They got back to me within 2 weeks and then scheduled my interview for the following week. I spoke with two people. The first round of the interview was with an actuary and the second round of the interview was an actuarial student. They both asked me about things on my resume, my working experience, and outside interest. They also asked me few questions about Excel, VBA, and Access (because I had these on my resume). I was asked to solve a logic problem which was pretty simple. Both interviewers are super nice and chill.

Interview Questions

• Why John Hancock? Why life actuary? Have you applied other places?   Answer Question

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Interview

3 round interview meeting with two people at a time. They want to see that you are knowledgeable about their investment products and the capital market. I wasn't knowledgeable about the market and knew the basics of the products they offered. If you want to be an Internal wholesaler you better know the market and have some background in the field this isnt for college grads like myself.

Interview Questions

• Why the field of investments?   1 Answer

Network Security Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

My resume was online and quite a few head hunters called me about this job. I was told based on the job requirement and my resume it fit hand in glove. Due to they were moving they had to put off the interview for 2 weeks. When I showed up they told me they loved my resume. They told me a few of the requirements and I outlined what I did for that. I guess I really impressed them because I was offered the job right there on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about risk assessment?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The headhunters did it for me

Senior Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview process was not too bad. It was with 2 hiring managers who questioned me about my past insurance experience and also about the basics of life insurance products. One of the hiring managers was very laid back and made me feel very relaxed while the other hiring manager was very direct and intimidating. As a whole it was a great interview process and would advise those who do interview to review the basics of John Hancock Life Insurance products.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain to somebody what Universal Life insurance is?   1 Answer