John Lewis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

John Lewis Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2017

2.7

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)).

Interview

They were critical however made me feel very comfortable. They asked me few technical questions but I was an intern so it wasn't all that bad. They were really nice but stern at the same time. My whole experience was jovial and thoroughly loved the experienced gained from them

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Group Interview- Group tasks where we had to sell items to a panel/ Group work with " customer situations" and then there was a 1-1 interview where you are invited to talk more about yourself.

Selling Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

Went in and was interviewed one to one. I then went to a room with other people applying for the job where I was put in a group and completed a group activity.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn from someone when they approached you?   Answer Question

Section Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

There was first of all an application online going through numeracy skills test which was 40 mins long and straightforward. Then there was a verbal reasoning test which again is straightforward. Finally there was a situational response test which took a lot longer trying to make sure your results were focused oh how a manager should reply to situations. The actual job though did not have any hours specified on the site and I found out that this was going to mean working Saturday and Sundays every 2nd week which meant I had to pull out due to having a family and work/life would not have been balanced. Check the hours before you apply for any roles.

Stock Management Partner/Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online which took around 1.5 hours to complete the application and the online testing afterwards. Then after about 4 days I received an email saying I was successful and was asked to schedule an interview for the following Monday.
    The interview was a group interview with around 6 other people, and in groups of two or three (these were allocated by the desk you were sat at) we had to go over two scenarios explaining how we would improve upon or deal with certain things (health and safety in the stock room etc). Make sure that you make yourself heard during this as the managers are writing down your conversation! This lasted about 30 mins and I then had a 1:1 interview with a manager. She asked standard questions for interviews (tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here?) And this lasted about half an hour also.
    I received an email about 1 week after the interview saying I was not successful, so in total the whole process took around 2 weeks.

Selling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at John Lewis (Manchester, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received a text about 2 days later saying that I need to select a time for interview. Selected the next available one. The interview process was really easy with about half an hour of one to one questions then a slightly longer group exercise. The one to one was really easy, with standard retail-type questions, and the group exercise was about creating a handbook to help new Partners deliver excellent customer service, deal with complaints and further product knowledge. About half an hour after the interview, I got a call from a section manager offering me a position there and then.

Interview Questions

• 5 ways to deliver excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • 5 steps to dealing with a customer complaint.   Answer Question
    • 3 ways to develop product knowledge.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a bit about yourself and why you would like to work with the partnership.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you have delivered great customer service.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got an interview 1 week afterwards and had to choose between 3 slots.
    The two people that interviewed me were very friendly and not so formal, even though the recruiting process was very well-rounded. The manager told me I would have the answer at the end of the week, and I did.

Interview Questions

• Asked to make a moodboard about VM trends beforehand.   Answer Question
    • Had questions about being able to work as a team, communication style, how I reacted with feedback, and my qualities.   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

whole series of online psychometric tests, You have to pass each to get to the next stage
    assessment centre - 8 people around table discuss a given scenario. In this case it was prioritising work load, taking over a position where a person is on long term sickness, You have to get on with doing their tasks. Altogether there were 6/7 points You have to discuss them what needs to be done, with the other people at the assessment centre - Be sure to be vocal and make your point ( if you have any)
    Interview with Merchandiser - Interview was unlike any i have experienced previously.. the way it was conducted made to make you feel wary, it is very easy to miss what they are inadvertently asking you.

Interview Questions

• I asked the question about working hours - having already said to them that I would be happy to arrived early at work on a monday for 7am. one of the interviews said, Did I have commitments after 5.30pm - I answered the question knowing full well that it was in appropriate of him to ask me. You feel if you question it, you wont be made an offer..   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amersham, England (UK)

Interview

Very friendly and polite. Obviously have passion and help staff members to grow within the company. Only downside is having three stages to an interview. People don't have time to do this for every job they go for and the preparation is very time consuming.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about the current John Lewis menswear range?   Answer Question

CSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)).

Interview

interview + group assessment. Group assessment lasted 1 hour. Given scenario type questions and worked with other candidates. Interview was very easy. general interview questions. Keep smiling and show that you're able to show initiative when offering help to others