John Lewis Interview Questions in London, UK | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 15, 2017

2.8

Graduate Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Online application involving standard questions and online tests, followed by video interview then assessment centre in London. Draining but rewarding assessment- group exercise, presentation and individual interview. Really impressed by the whole business and the way candidates were treated.

Christmas Temp/Seasonal Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

First you have to pass the only screening and SJ test. If you're successful they invite you to anAssessment. This takes up to an hour. Firstly you're in a group of about 4 and you're given a scenario: for example the scenario I dealt with prioritising tasks given by your manager, unsatisfied customers etc. In this task you have to discuss it with your group, and you have to make sure you put your point across as the assessor will be writing down points about each of you. Secondly you are given an individual task, 3 questions (I dont remember them word for word and the last one). After this they get back to you about a week later

Interview Questions

• A customer comes in store looking for an outfit how will you help them find one   1 Answer
    • A customer has shown interest in an item but hasn't made any advances to buying it at your store instead of a competitors store, how will you try your best to encourage the customer to buy it at John Lewis   1 Answer

I couldn't do the advertised hours

Seasonal Temporary: Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Having applied online with personal details, completed two computer assessments regarding customer and role priorities. Then further invited to answer questions regarding myself and suitability before asked to group interview/'.

Interview Questions

• Group interview exercise compromised of a situation whereby you have to prioritise numerous tasks - both planned and unplanned. Individual task involved responses to customer queries/situations.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was done in a group format. Where firstly we were tested individually on how we would respond in particular situations. Then a group assessment task was undertaken and the examiner observed how we reacted and worked as a group against the partnership values. Overall was a very good experience.

Seasonal Selling Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was okay, fairly easy. We were in groups of 4-5 people and did a group activity and an individual written task.

The people were friendly and the interview wasn't too long, under an hour.

The actual tasks weren't very hard at all. They were mostly centred around scenarios and what course of action you would take.

Interview Questions

• We weren't really asked questions. My interview was mainly group work as opposed to the standard questions and answers.   Answer Question

Seasonal Selling Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

It took 24 hours to go from initial application, through online testing, and then to an invitation to interview. The face to face interview was a bit like a cattle market - there were upwards of 40 of us split into groups. We had a group discussion/negotiation and a set of three shop floor situational 'how would you deal with...?' questions. No individual time with any interviewer.

Interview Questions

• One question - a customer asks you to help them find an outfit for a special occasion. What questions would you ask them and what help and advice might you give?   Answer Question

Selling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

You go in to an assessment room and sit down with an assessor and a few from your group about 4 or 5 of you given a written paper with 3 different scenarios have 20 mins to answer the you do a group exercise where you have a discussion about a situation that could arise in the store also get 20 mins while the assessor watches how you interact.

Selling Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online, there were a few stages, one was to test whether you had the right mindset their looking for, if you pass that you will be able to go onto the next stage which is answering scenarios and placing the answers in order of importance. I applied on friday and had received an email the following monday saying I was successful and was told to log back into my account to book an appointment slot for assessment, there were a few dates and times to choose from....., shortly I was sent an email confirmation of my chosen slot.
    On the actual day, there were approximately 20 applicants, we were lead to a room with tables seating 4-5, once seated into groups we were told the assessment comprises of 2 parts, the 1st involves working in a group to answer problems that may arise when working a typical day and how we should approach it.......,on each table there was an assessor who took notes, we were given around 5mins on our own then 20mins to discuss in a group. The 2nd part involved a written test working on your own, on a piece of paper there were 3 scenarios and you just answer what you would do in each case. That's it!
    Now, I really didn't agree with this way of hiring as when your working in a group how can you make yourself heard when you have someone thats really loud and confident on your team? That person always took the 1st word and answered on and on leaving not much for the rest of us to say as we would be repeating their answers????? Most of the time the assessor had his head down, don't know whether he was listening or not and i felt myself shouting at times to make sure he knows i been talking? When he does look up, I already finished my say and didn't want to repeat myself to look silly? He probabaly thought I was rubbish but why make a fool of myself and repeat what i just literally said? He should have taken notice in the beginning? There were times i came up with great points yet my group decided to talk over extending the pointer i made their way when i hadn't even completed the sentence! Taken my idea and ran away with it! We didn't even get a 1-1 interview so to base job on this assessment is in my view is flawed!
    I'm still awaiting feedback but doubt I got through, this process isn't good, what can it prove? Why not put me on the shopfloor for an hour and I will show you my ability/performance, don't judge me on this type of assessment! Give us a 1-1 interview at the very least, let us showcase our skills and knowledge of retail! Am really shocked, a company which praises itself on the happiness of all its members, if you don't get to know them, how? Also, a company which praises itself on excellent customer service yet you are hiring without asking individuals about their experience? You just base on the assessment scenarios? Am I the only one who doesn't get this?

Interview Questions

• Given scenarios which you had to rate and discuss in order of importance, for example, on starting your shift you been given a list of tasks by the manager, how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Multi Skilled Maintenance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Quite informal, very friendly, mostly discussed the online questionnaire and my answers, past experience in a similar roles, why i chose John Lewis, why they should hire me. I then had a tour of the building and the facilities as well as meeting other members of staff.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what was the biggest risk id ever taken, which the interview admitted he thought was somewhat of a strange question which relieved some of the pressure   Answer Question

Food Hall Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Relatively straight forward application. First did it online, then had to answer multiple choice questions. Got an email saying I had been successful and an invite to a group assessment. Had group assessment 2 weeks later, wasn't as bad as i thought. Note; be mindful about who's table your sitting on during group assessment. Avoid the tables with those who talk a lot or the bigger characters as they can over shadow you if your quieter. Speak up, the assessors want to hear you.

Negotiation

Be honest about what you like doing e.g I like moving about or I like serving on Tills.