John Lewis Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

2.7

201 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Selling Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis in August 2017.

Interview

Had to complete two separate aptitude tests as part of the online application. You're prompted with different scenarios and you have to choose which solutions are best suited to the each scenario. Fairly simple stuff -- just common sense really. Take your time though.

They followed up my online application with a text message asking to come in for an interview. I had already looked at some of the recent interview reviews on Glassdoor, so I was expecting a group interview. There were 4 other applicants at the interview and we all sat down on one table. We were asked to come up with a guide for new selling assistants at John Lewis, which were:

- 5 ways to deliver good customer service.
    - 5 ways to handle a customer who is upset or angry.
    - 3 ways to enhance product knowledge.

I would suggest doing your research and come up with some solid points beforehand. Make yourself heard, but remember to listen and engage with other people in the group. I got the impression this was something they were looking at closely.

The group interview was followed up with a 1-on-1 interview. There were 5 questions. The first was tell me about yourself; the others were customer service based. The last question was just reiterating what you had already contributed to the group. Overall, a really positive experience as it was quite challenging and rewarding in the end.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)).

Interview

With five other people, we had a case study and as a group we had to choose the best product and 'sell' it
    Individual interview - why John Lewis etc.

Selling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very easy going interview, I had a quick 1 to 1 interview, with the normal previous work questions, and then a group interview where as a team we answered 3 questions

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you have taught another staff member something?   Answer Question
    • Group assessment; Name 5 ways to deliver good customer service? 5 ways to deal with complaint? 3 ways to learn product knowledge?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you have helped a customer   Answer Question
    • How do you deliver good customer service   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

First an online assessment, with what-must-do and what mustn't-do in the store as a partner, in order to identify if your behaviour represents the values of the group.
    The interview was also an assessment exercise. In groups of three, we received a briefing describing a situation at a store and we should discuss in each order the shop assistant should execute her/his tasks and why. This part of the assessment was closely observed by a John Lewis team member.
    The second part of the assessment was individual, as we received three situations that may occur in a store and we should explain how we would solve these situations. Quite common sense and somehow similar to the online assessment.
    The interview was held at Welwyn Garden City, UK.

Seasonal Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis (Chelmsford, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

A lengthy online questionnaire split into three category's. I was then emailed with an offer to book an interview/group assessment slot. Managed to book the next day. There were around 10 of us. We had 20 minutes to answer 3 questions individually on certain scenarios and then given a group task. It was really relaxed and informal. I enjoyed it. (Awaiting an offer or a decline).

Interview Questions

• If someone came to you in the fashion department and said they were looking for an outfit for an event, how would you help them and how could you encourage them to visit different departments of the store?   Answer Question

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England (UK)

Application

Interview

Lengthy online questionnaire with lots of different situations you might face and four choices of answer to choose from. Then notified by email that I'd been called to interview.
     This was followed by a fairly short face to face interview and then a I was put into a group assessment where we had to come up with ideas together on a series of questions. This process was watched by three assessors.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

Initially I applied online. I was invited to attend group assessment and a one to one interview. The experience overall was positive and the interview wasn't stressful. Didn't get an offer.

Selling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

simple and relaxed, there was a one on one interview and then a group task. both were pretty easy however during the one on one interview the questions were worded a lot more difficult than they needed to be and weren't very suitable for someone with little or no experience

Interview Questions

• talk about a time where you had to teach someone else your skill   Answer Question

Selling Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis in August 2017.

Interview

After completing the online questionnaires, the interview was approximately 2 hours and split into two sections: group interview and one-on-one interview.

In the group interview there were 3 candidates (was meant to be 4) and 3 observers seeing how we discuss 3 questions:
    1 - 5 ways to give good customer service
    2 - 5 ways to deal with an angry/difficult/displeased customer
    3 - 3 ways to increase product knowledge

From what I could gather, the group interview was much more about the interaction between candidates, so the advice I would offer would be don't talk over people, appreciate people's opinions but don't stay quiet.

The one-on-one interview was just as friendly as the group interview, however, had more traditional questions such as name a time you shared product knowledge, or share a time you had to change the way you work.

Overall a really good interview, it didn't feel too formal and the staff were really friendly.

As for attire, I'd suggest wearing traditional interview, business-wear.

Partner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

Group interview - discussed what makes a good customer service assistant. Interacted with other interviewees. Went over job details. Was to test whether you are sociable and able to interact with others.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect when you walk in to a store?   2 Answers