Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

1.5

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed sometime in early March 2017 for the role. I was flown out and had to give a PhD presentation on a topic related to my research to an audience of about 12-15 people. Afterwards I had 1 on 1 interviews with several team members and leaders. There were no hard questions at all in fact they kept asking me to ask questions. Their HR department is absolutely awful. It's been two months and no response even with me emailing, which is very unprofessional. Generally you are at least given a declined notice.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in June 2019.

Interview

Applied online, and then I had a phone interview 2 weeks later. The interviewer was interested in my previous work/projects, my coding experience (e.g. HPC, any large-scale projects, distributed experience), etc. The interviewer had a technical PhD background, and I was not asked to code/solve any problems. The conversation lasted about 30 minutes, and it was surprisingly pleasant.

One week later, I was invited on-site and I was asked to give an hour long presentation on my PhD research. Afterwards, I had rapid-fire interviews (30 minutes each) with various members of the group including the group leader; everyone that interviewed me had a STEM PhD. I think at this stage the group was assessing cultural fit and how/where one would be useful if hired.

I was on campus from 8am-6pm because I interviewed with three separate groups; this aspect varies significantly.

Interview Questions

• Why are you transitioning from physics to data science? I was asked various data science questions, e.g. discuss K-means or random forest, etc. I was asked detailed questions about my presentation, e.g. I had slides with formulas and some interviewers were interested in the fundamental assumptions with this particular approach, etc. No coding or white-boarding.   Answer Question