Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

2.6

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

I applied online, but then had my resume passed on through a mutual connection. A couple weeks later I got an email from HR saying I was invited to do an on-site interview with two groups. When I got to the lab for the interview, I first met with a women in HR to go over general information and benefits. Then I took a shuttle to another office building to meet with the first group. I met with various members of the group, from younger employees to the group supervisor. Most of the interviews were a mix of informational and behavioral. They asked me to talk about things on my resume, and why I was interested in working at the lab. They also spent a lot of time telling me about what their group does, and possible projects they might want me working on. I also ate lunch with a member of this group in a small cafeteria located in the building.

The second group was back on the main campus. I met with the group supervisor, and then two other members of the group. Most of these interviews consisted of the members explaining what their group does, since they work in a field that I wasn't familiar with.

I interviewed on a Friday, and the next Monday I got a call from HR to discuss how the interview went, and she asked me how I felt about the two groups I interviewed with. Two weeks later I got a call saying the group I preferred had given me an offer.

The whole process was very enjoyable. Everyone I met was nice and helpful, and there were no hard technical questions. I got a sense that APL is a great place to work. I also think that if you get offered an on-site interview, it means they are impressed with your background and are pretty seriously considering hiring you. So don't stress about the interview!

Interview Questions

I also received an offer from a similar company, and decided I preferred the location and opportunities at that company

Other Interview Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Tucson, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. Told me about their group and the work that they do. Asked me technical questions about my work. I asked him technical questions about the work that they do.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job?
      Are you ok with moving to Maryland?
      Tell me about PSFs.
      Tell me about the radar blending work.   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you? Why are you leaving Raytheon   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mayaguez, PR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Mayaguez, PR) in October 2015.

Interview

Recruiters came to campus and I talked to them and handed them my resume. That same night they called me for an interview. Interview felt more like a conversation than an interview. It was easy and the interviewer was really easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to be doing? What work environments do you have experience in? What are your interests?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in July 2009.

Interview

I interviewed for two positions. The interviews went very well as my skills and experience far exceeded the other applicants. The positions were filled with people from different ethnic backgrounds, some lacking any direct experience..

At times more emphasis is placed on diversity than actual work experience. Recent grads and advanced degrees hold more weight than proven results and stellar references.

Interview Questions

• If you were in charge of the department would you run it differently? If so, what would you change?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in April 2011.

Interview

I visited the JHU APL table at the career fair at my university and expressed interest in working for them. They directed me to apply online to the positions I was interested in and about a few weeks later, I received an email from HR their interest in my resume. I scheduled an on-site interview and met with members of the entire group who discussed what projects they were working on, what my career interests were and my internship experiences. Overall, the environment was very collaborative and everyone seemed nice but my coursework was not a complete fit for what they were seeking.

Interview Questions

• Depends on the group you interview with and the field of work they do. Can be very technical regarding your qualifications.   Answer Question