Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2021

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

HardAverageEasy
Found 160 candidate interviews
Featured Interview
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (United States)

Interview

Full day interview with multiple people in more than one group. Everyone was very nice and respectful. It seemed like a great place to work. I would definitely give them another chance.

Interview Questions
  • Don't remember the questions that were asked
    Answer Question
Application

Interview

The first interview was a phone conversation with one engineer. Just talked about my work experience and education. The next interview was a month later, with 3 people, one at a time over zoom. Received the offer a month later.

Interview Questions
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Application

Interview

In-person hour-long presentation on past research, plus a panel and a few one-on-one interviews with a variety of staff across many different research areas and levels of expertise. Scheduled and well organized. Lasted about 5 hours, including a lunch with a prospective manager and a long meeting with HR representatives regarding benefits.

Interview Questions
  • Describe the research you have done in the past that you enjoyed most.
Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in Jan 2021

Interview

Phone screen with an engineer then a half day interview process including a chat with HR, a presentation from the team manager, and regular interviews with different people from the team

Interview Questions
  • Technical descriptions of previous work and class projects, behavioral and teamwork questions
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in Dec 2020

Interview

If you are a seasoned professional with nearly 10 years exceptional work history but had a less than perfect college GPA "Do Not Bother Applying". APL has a single focused hiring practice solely on your college GPA when you were in your early twenties. They do not consider any life events or learning challenges you may have experienced during that time which may have resulted in a less than perfect GPA. Instead of acknowledging that an individual met the requirements of their degree program and awarded a Bachelor of Science from an accredited university, they deny you the opportunity of employment. I find that to be interesting since they are affiliated with institutions of higher learning that promotes advancements in education and fairness for everyone, not just highest scoring college graduates. Their silent GPA requirement is not in the job posting. After you successfully pass their initial interview focused primarily on your professional work history and experience they tell you will have a second interview with the hiring manager. Prior to scheduling a second interview they ask for your college transcripts regardless if you graduated nearly 10 years ago. After sending the transcripts to them they will immediately send you an email explaining you will not have a second interview because you are not a good candidate. Regardless if you have an exceptional work history with several years of experience that surpasses their requirements, if your is GPA average and not stellar they will not consider you for employment as just shown. This is a terrible hiring practice that intentionally closes the door on qualified hard working experienced professionals.

Interview Questions
  • General questions about what you do in your current position
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Nov 2020

Interview

I applied for the Software Engineering Intern position on October and had my interview on November. Overall it was a positive experience. The interview was mostly behavioral and questions about my resume.

Interview Questions
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (United States) in Nov 2020

Interview

I was contacted via email to set up an initial interview on Zoom with a group supervisor, after which I was officially invited to interview with APL (again via Zoom). I met with an HR representative first thing in the morning before giving a talk on my research. After that, I met with one group twice and another group once, and I was asked to give my preference of the two afterwards. I received an offer three days later.

Interview Questions
  • What technical accomplishment are you most proud of?
Application

Interview

I met with an HR representative the day before my interview (normally HR interview are conducted in the morning the day of the interview, but he was busy then) to go over culture, benefits, etc. at APL. The day of my interview I first gave ~1 hour long presentation on my current doctoral research and answered questions from the audience. I then met separately with three groups (including the rotational program). Each group ran their interview process slightly differently. For some groups I met with all team members at once, and for some I met with groups of 2 at a time. The interviews were largely informal and asked behavioral questions along with questions about past projects and internships.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about (X project that I worked on). Why are you applying to APL?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD
Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD)

Interview

As a preface: I'm heavily on the spectrum, and so interviews are inherently difficult for me to begin with. I applied for this job post-graduation and was offered an on-site without any sort of phone screen. I was extremely down on my luck with finding a job, and so I happily obliged. Well, about a week before the interview is scheduled to take place, the recruiter panicked and tried to contact me every way she could because she 'made a mistake' and thought I was still in school (yes, REALLY), and that I needed to contact her immediately and tell her what I've been doing since graduation. She accepted my reasoning, and the interview was still on. I interviewed with three groups while there. Several people from the first group made me feel unwelcome. One girl asked about how I ended up on the educational path I did; I mentioned the fact that I went to a community college for my freshman and sophomore years, and she literally facepalmed and sighed heavily and started taking notes like I'd lied on my resume (as I only listed my bachelor's and master's degrees for relevancy). After finishing my interview with the first group, the team lead escorted me to the next group. As we were walking between buildings, I remember inquiring with the team lead, 'Tell me about the ideal candidate you're hoping to hire.' She responded, 'We're looking for someone who can actually talk to people.' Of course, I was oblivious to what she was referring to, and I followed up with, 'Oh! I have lots of experience with talking to people, because I used to be a TA and taught a few classes!' to which she responds, 'Heheh... oh you seem so sure about that!' And hence each of the interviewers were probably relaying to her immediately after walking out of the room how poorly the interviews went. Second group, the dudes seemed like he was just reading off a script and took no notes. With the second group was the lunch interview (which they say won't be on the record). They were with people who'd just recently graduated as well. I tried having casual conversation with them like they're expecting. But, at one point one of the guys flat out told me, 'Hey man, you should probably eat instead of talking.' The third group was nice and I don't really have any qualms. They legitimately tried helping me out as if they REALLY wanted to give me the job, but unfortunately my interviewing skills didn't quite make the cut. I was told upon leaving that I would hear back about any offers in about 2-3 months' time. Well, no. I heard back literally the next week that it was a No from all three groups. So I pretty much have a guarantee that I've been blacklisted from JHUAPL. I have worked on my interviewing skills since then, and eventually found a job after about 2 years of unemployment, but the main point of my review is to highlight that YES, even though this is JHUAPL the interviewers can be rude. Even though I'm probably blacklisted because of the recruiter's mistake and bad interviews, this isn't a place I can foresee ever running back to.

Interview Questions
  • Basic STAR questions. Literally any common interview questions guide will have the questions.
Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD)

Interview

Phone interview scheduled 4 weeks after submitting application. On-site interview 3 weeks after phone screen. Met with recruiter first to chat about benefits and logistics and then with supervisors and early career staff for half-day. Interview questions were fairly typical. Received offer one week after on-site interview.

Interview Questions
  • Talk to us about this experience on your resume.
  • Why APL? Why our group? In what particular field are you most interested in working?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 160