Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 204 of over 204 interviews

2.7
HardAverageEasy

Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Petersburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Petersburg, VA) in Jan 2022

Interview

Very kind and encouraging staff! They present their interns with many opportunities to participate with the staff and pursue leadership roles. Speaking with the interviewing group felt very comfortable and left room for lots of back and forth dialogue and questions.

Interview Questions
  • Describe your leadership and experience
    Answer Question

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Interview

The recruiter was very accommodating and flexible when scheduling interview. The panel of interviewers (4) were respectful and welcoming with the exception of one. During the interview it consisted of mostly technical questions about the job. After the interview was over weeks went by and I never got a response about the job. I reached out to the recruiter via email and still never received a response.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Interview

There was first a 15-30 minute phone call with the director of CIRCUIT. it was more casual and friendly. This was later followed by a in-person interview with an employee which was around 20-30 minutes.

Interview Questions
  • Can you recall a time where you took on a leadership role?

Application

Interview

Pretty seamless. Multiple groups independently choose who to interview. I had 3 different group interviews. Each was 2 hours long. You get 30 min at a time with one or two people and then switch at 30 min mark.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Interview

I gave a one hour presentation on my work, then met with a variety of interviewers. Each panel was two people and included peers and managers. Also had lunch. Total time about 5 hours.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Interview

Initial phone screening followed by a phone call interview with a group. Due to COVID, all interviews were virtual and not in person. Circumstances may be different once covid restrictions are lifted.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Interview

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in Mar 2022

Interview

The interview process was kind of long compared to interviews I've had at other places. However, it was a positive experience. I gave a presentation at the beginning of the interview talking about some of the current research I was doing. Then the interview was split into 30 minute time slots meeting with 2 to 3 people at a time. The total interview with presentation and talking with everyone was about 3 hours long. In general, the questions the interviewers asked were pretty straightforward. They didn't try to trip me up, or at least it didn't feel like it. I felt like most of the interview was a lot of conversations about my research and the research they do there. I was fascinated with all of the cool research they do. They also left a few minutes at the end of each 30 time slot for me to ask them questions. I did not get offered a position, but if I had I likely would have accepted. It seemed like a great place to work, morale of the workplace seemed good, and everyone sounded very enthusiastic! I'm definitely going to keep an eye open for other positions to apply in the future!

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about your research. Do you have questions for us? This role would allow some independence for the person that is hired. Do you have any ideas on the type of research you would conduct on your own?

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Interview

Interview focused on defining APL and the internship job as clearly as possible, and getting more context and information on candidate's experience and goals. Interview is as technical as the candidate makes it

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Bethesda, MD) in Feb 2022

Interview

They accepted my application then I had a 30 minute phone call with one employee to see if they wanted to interview me. I had two interviews with two different groups about 3 weeks after sending in my application, both 2.5 hours long and I talked with a bunch of different people who asked about my resume and went in-depth on some of the projects I did. But then they didn't give an answer for 6 weeks and finally rejected me by about 4 months after I interviewed.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about your research project?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD)

Interview

The talent acquisition staff worked very quickly after my application to set up an interview. I did not interview for the position I originally applied for, but rather two other positions that were recommended to me. I had an enjoyable Zoom call with a recruiter the day before my on-site interview. This was very low-stress and mainly about going over benefits and talking about the campus. I interviewed on-site and it was approximately a full day. I met with two teams with two interviews each (four interviews total, not including the informal lunch interview). Each interview lasted for about one hour and I met with two team members at a time. If applicable to the position, there may be a workshop or another room that they give you a tour of in between interviews. The interviews were more of a conversation with the primary focus being your resume. They usually started off with a slideshow introduction for their group and what they do and then go into your resume with more technical questions. If you list a project, make sure you can talk all about it. If you list a programming language, make sure you can talk about it. If you list a class you took, make sure you can talk about it. Overall, I didn't feel very pressured for most of the interviews except for one of them. I was grilled by two interviewers about certain technologies and roles that are outside of my current work duties. I got the sense that the one interviewer was a bit frustrated because they eventually started asking CS 101 questions like "what is a global variable?". After the interview day, the recruiter becomes your sole point of contact. We exchanged emails about once per week at that point. I had to wait for awhile because there were other candidates interviewing. After over 3 weeks from the interview, I got a call from the recruiter that neither group wanted to extend an offer due to my lack of experience with the necessary technologies. This was frustrating because those specific positions were recommended to me at the beginning of the process. Overall, I still enjoyed my time at the campus and speaking with everyone. It seems like a great place to work and I would have accepted an offer had I received one.

Interview Questions
  • What is polymorphism? Describe a technical challenge you faced with ____ project.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 204 Interviews

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as 80.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.73 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Associate Professional Staff I and Senior Professional Staff I rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Software Engineer and Intern roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory takes an average of 34 days when considering 219 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Software Engineer had the quickest hiring process (on average 25 days), whereas Intern roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 47 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory according to 219 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 18.50%

IQ Intelligence Test: 2.62%

Other: 1.50%

Personality Test: 1.12%

RSS Feed</>Embed

Popular Careers with Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory logo