Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated May 4, 2017

2.7

SummerEE/Opti Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lauren, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Lauren, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

The person interviewer was very nice and really let the conversation flow instead of asking question after question. He was curious about my projects I've worked on and experiences. He wanted to know what role I played in these projects. What my interests are. What I want to be doing in 5 years. He also talked about the project they have for me and told me what gave rise to that project.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the project ____ that you have on your resume?   1 Answer

Cyber Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in April 2017.

Interview

I met with 5 different hiring managers/tech leads in 30 minute blocks who each proceeded to ask me essentially the same questions (basically based on a walk-through of my resume.) I did not like this style of interviewing as I was just repeating myself for 2 1/2 hours, but it was not a difficult process. I was able to get each person's perspective on the work and get a feel for the personality types within the group which did assist me in realizing that the environment for the specific position probably was not what I was looking for.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed sometime in early March 2017 for the role. I was flown out and had to give a PhD presentation on a topic related to my research to an audience of about 12-15 people. Afterwards I had 1 on 1 interviews with several team members and leaders. There were no hard questions at all in fact they kept asking me to ask questions. Their HR department is absolutely awful. It's been two months and no response even with me emailing, which is very unprofessional. Generally you are at least given a declined notice.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

phone interview, then an on site interview with the team. The phone interview was explaining the position and responsibilities of the position. Also asked about career goals and checking to see if I would be a good fit for the group.

Interview Questions

• very relaxed. Mostly informative. Questions were largely just basic behavioral questions and a few questions about school projects.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Baltimore, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Very casual, very laid back. Interviewed with about 4 or 5 people, then lunch, then one more round of interviews for the company's rotational program. Not a demanding interview at all, mostly just interested in experiences from my resume.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral, I wasn't asked anything too technical   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position online, got a call next day and phone interview 2 days later and in person interview 2 weeks later but it took them 2 month to get back to me and that was after I called 4 times to get the results. Their main issue is base salary. They do not want to pay standard industry salary. They are looking to hire very senior Engineers with a very low salary base.

Interview Questions

• mostly talk about my resume and their project and everyone asked why do you want to work for APL?   Answer Question

Analyst/Software Developer On the Force Projection Systems Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Baltimore, MD) in May 2016.

Interview

Sent online application, they responded a week or two later asking me to fly out to Baltimore to interview on site (no phone interviews at all). I flew out, and interviewed from 10:45am-2pm, which involved 5 different interviews, some one-on-one, some, with a few people. They covered all costs (flight, hotel, car rental, and food).

The interviews consisted primarily of them asking about my experiences on my resume and what I'm interested in. They also told me a lot about what they did at work. Surprisingly, there were no technical questions (I didn't have to try and solve any problems or even answer questions like "what would you do in such and such hypothetical situation"). It was an extremely easy process, but I didn't feel like it afforded me the opportunity to show myself in a great light. It was more like I was just there, a somewhat experienced college senior, answering basic questions about myself.

Interview Questions

• What do you like doing in your free time?   1 Answer

Summer Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

Three phone calls with different project heads who told me about their daily workload and the internal structure of the APL. Mostly asked about my previous experience and what I was looking for in a summer internship, especially which areas I was interested in studying. The interviewers were professional, but not especially friendly.

Interview Questions

• How would you secure a network of computers against an adversary?   Answer Question

Financial Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

1. I had a phone interview with HR representative that lasted a few minutes.
    2. I had my first on-campus interview with HR representative for a half hour and then with the director and functional manager together for about 2 hours.
    3. I had a 2nd on-campus interview with business manager about two weeks later.
    4. I got a call with an offer a few days after my 2nd on-campus interview.

Interview Questions

• - talked about my resume and background

- typical personality assessment interview questions
      Answer Question

Air & Missile Defense Sector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mayaguez, PR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Mayaguez, PR) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted 5 months after by three different divisions. Each was phone screen type, lasting 15-20 minutes. Mostly asked about myself, related coursework, and experiences on my resume. Interviewers were casual but professional. Was contacted a couple of days before via email. Not much information on APL's projects online, so had to search in external sources.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked me about preference of analyzing CFD data and writing flight code.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was sent offer letter via email. No negotiation.