Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions

Interviews at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

2.7

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

The interview process took about 2 months from my first interview to the day I received an offer. It consisted two phone interviews that asked behavioral questions mainly and had me go over my resume in more detail. No technical questions.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

phone interview, then an on site interview with the team. The phone interview was explaining the position and responsibilities of the position. Also asked about career goals and checking to see if I would be a good fit for the group.

Interview Questions

• very relaxed. Mostly informative. Questions were largely just basic behavioral questions and a few questions about school projects.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

4 hrs + interview process. Meeting with multiple groups. Would have been good to have a phone interview first and get a feel for position. Actually had a good feel leaving the interviews but didn't end up getting an offer. It took the HR office over 3 months to get back to me that they wouldn't be extending an offer!

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in July 2014.

Interview

I received an invitation to interview via email. On the day of the interview, I met with three members of the interview team at two locations. After the initial interview, I was invited to come back to meet with senior management. All in all the team was very engaging, friendly and made me feel very relaxed.

Materials Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in June 2013.

Interview

I received information about the position through my school's listing. I reached out to the hiring manager and was told to apply online. After applying online, I was contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview. A couple weeks after the phone interview, I was invited to an on-site interview in Laurel, MD. My on-site interview was half day. I talked to 6 people and had lunch at their cafeteria.

Interview Questions

• Pretty general questions, both behavioral and technical. Nothing too unexpected.   Answer Question

Mathematician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

Was interviewed by two groups for missile analysis jobs. I first spoke with a woman from HR, who was very nice and told me about the benefits of working at APL. I then gave a seminar, which went pretty well. Next, I spoke to the manager of group 1. He didn’t really ask me any questions and just went on about the larger role of the group in the organization. I then spoke with one-on-one and had lunch with members of group 1. The one-on-one conversations were very relaxed and I enjoyed speaking with the employees.

After that, I was whisked away to speak with the manager of group 2, who was similar to the other manager in talking about things that I didn’t care much about. He asked a few question, as if going off a checklist. Finally, I spoke with two members of group 2 at the same time. Unlike group 1, they were more serious and mostly spoke in broad generalities about the work, which gave me little feel for what it would be like to work there. It was a bit uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• What project that you worked on were you most proud of?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

Meeting the groups and interviewing was engaging. It takes months before you get an invite to come in. I learned if they don't like your application, you won't even get a canned letter back.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Columbia, MD) in May 2017.

Interview

Met with several people, starting with HR. The engineers that I spoke with kept the conversation experience-focused and I was only asked one technical question. Most of the questions were about past projects and which technologies I used.

Associate Professional Staff Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in March 2007.

Interview

Very informal. Consisted of tours of their labs and discussions of their projects and my background.

Associate Professional Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Columbia, MD) in November 2008.

Interview

Had to give a technical presentation, which resulted in a lot of hard technical questions from the audience. Multiple interviews by technical staff and managers in multiple groups. Lots of the time was spent by the interviewers "selling" their group or project. In retrospect, having worked here, it became clear that those "selling" the hardest were the least desirable groups to work in, and they have trouble getting the best people. There was one interview by an HR person, who really didn't do a good job describing the work environment, and frankly asked a lot of intrusive personal questions.

Interview Questions

• Very difficult question on the assumptions which allow the use of kalman filtering on a data stream coming from a missile.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation was possible. Pretty much "take it or leave it."

See What Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

Pros: “Great 401k (403B) match, 10.5% employer match, employees only have to contribute 4% to get the full company match. Fifteen vacation days to start plus sick days, and personal day. Work is...”“Great 401k (403B) match, 10.5% employer match, employees only have to contribute 4% to get the full company match. Fifteen vacation days to start plus sick days, and personal day. Work is interesting and always get to work on new projects and technology.” – Full Review