Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions

Interviews at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in September 2011.

Interview

Received interview offers from three different groups, working in three completely different technical disciplines. In the end, I was able to order my preference first, and then each group was asked in that order if they would give me an offer. I ended up getting my first choice, so I was pretty happy. It's a good system for interviewing because it encourages the candidate to choose according to his or her own interests.

Interview Questions

• Be careful what you put on your resume. I put down that I took a certain class and one of the groups asked me detailed questions about the theory, which I didn't know.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I thought the offer was exceptional.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

Over the phone interview was a basic 30 minute conversation going over my past experience and resume. A plane flight was scheduled shortly thereafter. The in person interview process was, and still is a joke. They ask you very few questions if any and rely on accuracy of resume.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Zero negotiation allowed.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

I met with about 8 people each for 30 minutes. They asked me about my experience and some technical questions. Overall not too challenging. Atmosphere was nice and not too pressured.

Interview Questions

• Questions about:

R,L,C impedance
      Displacement current
      FFT, DFT
      Frii's formula
      Waveguide
      Smith chart
      PCB layout   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in August 2009.

Interview

I applied for this job via University career services. APL contacted me first via e-mail to notify me that my application was received and was being reviewed. I then received a phone call about a month later to schedule an interview date.

APL coordinated and paid for transportation and lodging as well as compensated for food and gas for my visit. I flew out the night before the interview and drove to the campus for a full day interview the next day.

I had one on one interviews with several members of various business groups throughout the day. At the end of the day, I was asked by HR to rate the groups in terms of interest based on what I had learned.

I waited about 1.5 months before receiving a reply from APL that I would be hired. This time, I was contacted by the Group Supervisor of the group that hired me. It took about another month to get me hired.

APL offered relocation compensation (they paid it in full) provided that I worked there at least 6 months (or a year? I can't remember exactly).

Interview Questions

• The interviews themselves were mostly for gauging interest in the various projects each group worked on. Most interviewers seemed to simply ask questions about my resume and asked whether the work they were doing seemed like something I would like to do and why.   1 Answer

Negotiation

This was my first job out of college, so I took the first offer given to me. After arriving, I found out that almost everyone with a BS EE gets the same starting salary coming out of college.

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

They didn't tell me which groups I would interview with until I arrived, but I was contacted by email by two of my interviewers ahead of time so I had some idea what to expect. It seemed like the work culture was very different among divisions, but what they all had in common was the expectation that you would stay with the company long term, i.e. more than 10 years. The way this attitude was presented by both HR and my interviewers felt a lot like talking about marriage on the second date, but I suppose they were just trying to emphasize job security. The interview questions were either technical or trying to make sure I was genuinely interested by asking about my motivations and long-term goals. In one particular interview, the interviewer went down my college transcript and pointed out a course I had taken three years ago, and quizzed me on the material. Overall, stressful but very satisfying experience.

Interview Questions

• Derive the binomial probability distribution from first principles.   Answer Question
    • What is the equation for the far-field approximation in an antenna?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in September 2014.

Interview

I was referred from a professor that had colleagues at APL. Because I already had several outstanding offers on the table, HR moved swiftly to schedule a timely interview with a couple interested teams. Overall, the interview process was stressful. Spoke to 8 different engineers/scientists and it took an entire day to complete.

Interview Questions

• I cannot really pin point the most difficult or unexpected question but they all know their information so if you mention something do not be surprised to explain in detail and a sound, technical level. Throughout the entire interview process they evaluate how well you can articulate and explain what you are talking about. I was questioned in detail about several classes on my resume and about certain grades I received in a few classes   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. The offer was most competitive compared to my other 3 offers at that time.

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD).

Interview

I submitted my resume at a campus career fair as well as through their online system. Some time later I was contacted via email for a phone interview, and then several weeks later I was brought for an onsite interview with the group interested in hiring me. The onsite interview included a meeting with HR, an interview with the group lead, the group technical fellow, and a coworker in the group. Overall it was a very pleasant day, the questions were technical but mostly related to my experience.

Interview Questions

• In your leadership experience, have you ever had to deal with a difficult employee or team member? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in February 2014.

Interview

About two months after applying I got a phone interview, was told that I wouldn't hear back until after the holidays. I got in touch with them in January and they set up an on-site interview. The on-site was an all day event, including 8 interviews with different group members from the same group. You normally would interview with at least two groups, incase you fit better somewhere else.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were mostly to gauge your knowledge/expertise, show how you would fit in the company, see how you feel about the type of work that occurs at APL, etc. I don't remember specific questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

The hiring and interview process took nearly 10 months and required a background investigation and presentation in front of a panel of hiring manager. Overall the it was a pleasant experience and no malicious questions.

Associate Professional Staff II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in January 2016.

Interview

flew me in and met with the entire group and gave a presentation on my PhD work. afterwards i met with the entire team in 3's to talk about their work and learn more about the group. The whole process took about 3 hours and they paid for my lunch

Interview Questions

See What Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar     Current Anonymous Employee

Pros: “Amazing place to work, BLEEDING edge”“Amazing place to work, BLEEDING edge” – Full Review