Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions

Interviews at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

2.7

Associate Professional Staff II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in September 2009.

Interview

Job responsibilities were being consolidated between two departments. The job was ending in one department and i was interviewed for the posted position bearing similar functions in the second department. One-on-one interview was held with the section supervisor and subsequently with the group supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Can you assist bringing co-workers up to speed while performing your own work functions?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in April 2013.

Interview

Initially contacted by HR to go over my resume and do a general screen of my background. Was asked to provide a few jobs on their site which interested me. Interviewed for a couple of positions and spent an entire day there. Everyone was very nice and the questions were pretty basic and not at all challenging.

Interview Questions

• What does ANT stand for? Took me a second to remember but I did. A Neat Tool.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate.

Associate Professional Staff II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in May 2017.

Interview

My interview came in two parts, both taking place on the same day. The first part was a series of interviews with 7 different people (first of which was HR rep) over the course of 3 hours. Each interview was more relaxed, no tough questions. Just conversations about my resume and discussion about what the particular group does. I also had the opportunity to ask questions. The second part of the interview was a technical presentation I was required to give to the group. The presentation was on a topic of my choosing and it was an hour long with questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult problem you've had to solve in your current job? How did you solve it?   1 Answer

Technical Interview

Interview

Simple phone call testing the knowledge of intro level ECE courses. The group was very welcoming and created a stress free interview environment. I enjoyed working here greatly and would recommend applying to any talented engineer looking to gain relevcant and exciting experience in their field.

Interview Questions

• Could you explain the basic function of an Ocilloscope? Network Analyzer?   Answer Question

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in September 2018.

Interview

The interview was detailed, you get a tour of how they do things in the area in which you are going. Speak to managers, Engineers and co workers. Process took total of 4 hours. This gave me a real feel for how they operate and I got to see the different personalities which all were great. Made me fill like family.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever operated a XRay machine or Automated Optical Inspection equipment?   1 Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

Pretty casual. Half day interview, met with 5 or 6 people who I would be working with. No exceptionally difficult technical questions, mainly focusing on things that I've done.

Interview Questions

• No particularly difficult questions, the typical tell me about your background, what have you done, what can you help our group accomplish. Pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Legal Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD).

Interview

I interviewed with a team of legal professionals (not all lawyers) and was very impressed by their questions for me. Given the high technology nature of their business, I was made to feel very comfortable by the team.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to explain any gaps in your employment history.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was relatively casual. I spoke to a hiring manager on the phone and talked about my experiences and about my programming experience. It was a pleasant conversation and I was certainly surprised that I was not asked to actually prove my coding mettle. I believe that the interview was more about determining whether or not you are a culture fit as opposed to whether ot not you are the best programmer in the world.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I could not negotiate much.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in January 2018.

Interview

Phone interview a couple months after I gave my resume to an on-campus recruiter. A member from one team asked me to walk through my resume, going through courses, experience, and technical skills. Asked if I had any questions about the project they're working on.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Baltimore, MD) in March 2009.

Interview

Very Simple, Technical Interview, but did not ask any programming/logic questions. Mostly about background and experience. Asked about projects I've had with teamwork and how we resolved our problems. Overall went very well, and talked more what would be expected me over the summer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were working on a project in a group and you had a deadline to meet.   Answer Question

See What Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Principal Professional Staff in Laurel, MD

Pros: “Although there are only several dozen scientists among the >6000 employees, JHU/APL provides a great environment for those looking to have a non-traditional career path. The project...”“Although there are only several dozen scientists among the >6000 employees, JHU/APL provides a great environment for those looking to have a non-traditional career path. The project contributions made by scientists are very applied - often transitioned to end users in the field for immediate operational deployment. While staff in each department/sector may have different experiences, most of my interactions with multi-disciplinary teams have been very positive. Good opportunities for career growth exist, but require some individual effort and creative approaches. Overall, JHU/APL offers a rewarding scientific career for those more interested in meaningful contributions than "fame and fortune."” – Full Review