Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Senior Professional Staff I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

Gave a presentation at the beginning of the day to 6 or 7 senior employees. Afterwards, met with each in one-on-one sessions. There were no surprise questions, just questions about history on my resume or from my presentation. They did ask why on my application I had requested that they not contact one of my former employers. The environment here seems very healthy, and there seems to be a lot of room for career growth both laterally or up the ladder.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Know your resume and your application.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was non-negotiable, but I did negotiate a decent signing bonus. They also help with moving expenses and provide temporary housing.

Other Interview Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD).

Interview

I contacted the lab through their website as a new graduate. I was contacted by the college recruiting office and set up a day-long on-site interview which included a 45 minute presentation on my graduate research.

The day consisted of numerous 45 minute 1-1 interviews with different members of 3 different groups. Since I hadn't applied for any specific position, a lot of the time was spent listening to them describe what their group does. Lunch was provided.

Interview Questions

• What is the most unexpected question you have had on an interview?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by in person, all day interview. I met with a bunch of managers, and other scientists. I also gave a 45 minute presentation. It was a fairly easy interview process with no real tough questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe previous job experience and technical background.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in December 2015.

Interview

I spoke with APL representatives at a career fair and dropped off my resume, then was called by a departmental representative a couple months later to speak about the work the group does and gauge my interest. They asked for the contact information of my PhD advisor (in order to obtain a letter of rec), and I was invited for an onsite interview a couple weeks after that. The interview process went very smoothly, consisting of an initial meeting with HR to welcome me to APL and go over the day’s schedule, several 20-30 minute one-on-one meetings with potential coworkers, a ~45 minute presentation on my dissertation research to ~15 employees followed by Q&A, lunch with hiring manager/potential supervisor, and ending with a one-on-one with another HR representative. The lab covered all travel (flight, rental car), lodging (hotel), and food (per diem). The interview mainly focused on past experience (from my presentation - the questions asked were no more difficult than those at my defense, and went beyond the fundamental science), needs for the current position, behavioral situations, and my knowledge of what APL does. I flew home that evening and sent thank you notes to everyone I spoke with the next morning. A week later I was contacted by the hiring manager, who requested contact information for an additional reference. I provided it, and a few weeks after that HR followed up with a formal offer. I accepted because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews, stable work environment, interesting projects to work on, plenty of lateral and up the ladder career growth, rapport with everyone I met, and the benefits. Compensation was more than generous, especially when combined with benefits, full relocation package, and flexible start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in November 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume through an ex-colleague at my college career fair. A few weeks later I was contacted to set up an hour-long phone interview. The phone interview was with four people from the group I would work with. It was very technically focused, no behavioral questions. A few days later HR contacted me to set up an on-site interview. The on-site interview began by me giving an hour-long presentation on my PhD research, and then I had two two-hour interviews with separate groups. Both of those interviews began with the group leader giving me an overview of the group, and the majority of the remaining time consisted of multiple ~15-20 minute technical chats with one or two engineers at a time, along with some lab tours. No difficult questions, just technical discussions and looking for mutual interest. The day ended by meeting with HR, they asked which group I preferred and discussed benefit packages, etc. They didn't ask for a salary. I was contacted by HR a few days after the interview to complete a quick background check, and received an offer a few days after that.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? What do you *not* want to do with your career?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied on their website and after a couple weeks, I contacted a recruiter via LinkedIn and she pushed my application to the College Recruiting (since I was finishing up my PhD). From there, they quickly scheduled an on-site interview. The interview process was pretty straight-forward. I spoke with a lovely HR representative first and she asked me basic behavior questions (Why APL? Where do you see yourself in X years? Do you work best in groups or solo? etc.). She was extremely upfront and really set the tone for the day. I then interviewed with the head of REDD who gave me an overview of APLs mission. I then gave a 45 minute talk on my research in front of the group who brought me in for an interview. Because my field of study is a specialty, I only really fit with one group at APL. No malicious questions, simply technical questions about methods/results/future outlook of my work. They know their stuff, technically, but nothing I had not heard previously at conferences. I then met with members of the group individually where they asked more questions about my work and other behavior questions. I definitely got the feeling that they were looking to see if I was a good "fit." All-in-all, it was a long day, but it was rather enjoyable. I later had a follow-up phone call with the group (primarily just making sure I knew what types of projects they project for me to start on) and received an offer shortly after that.

Interview Questions

• Why APL? Where do you see yourself in X years? Do you work best in groups or solo?   Answer Question

Senior Professional Staff I Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

I was contacted 4 days after I had applied to schedule an in person interview. The interview consisted of a meeting with HR and a panel interview with department. I was notified within 2 weeks that I had been offered the position. The recruiting staff was above and beyond amazing. They kept me up to date with the status of the position and responded promptly to my inquires.