Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in May 2010.

Interview

A classic interview format where I met with key decision makers

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

There was no phone interview. They flew me to Baltimore and paid for my flight, hotel, and rental car. I interviewed with 5 different groups throughout the day, with a mixture of behavioral and technical questions from each groups. I received a tour of the facility while I was there.

Interview Questions

• What is the time complexity of a recursive Fibonacci function vs a non-recursive one.?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Met with several people from each group. Learned more about the organization, the culture, as well as various projects each group was working on. Met many wonderful people and walked away with an overall feeling that this is an incredible place to work with many interesting opportunities in a variety of areas.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

The whole process took a while from first contact to interview. I met with a series of people 1:1 from a department. I did not get the sense anyone fully knew why they were interviewing me. I had people pitching different things to me and walked away not really sure what the department fully did or what skillset they wanted to augment their team.

Also went in believing I made more than they pay. I told HR that I was not looking to leave for salary so it was all negotiable. I am not sure if that is part of why it was a pass but maybe they all figured out they were not sure what they wanted as well or maybe they were not ready to really add to their team. HR is not very responsive even during the process of date selection for the interview.

Interview Questions

• They just talked through what I have done and why. Experiences with Agile, etc. Or my experience with a certain technology stack.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

Like others I found this to be a very negative experience. I had to interview for 8 straight hours with different groups, essentially all asking the same questions. Only one group seemed interested in hiring someone and the others seemed to wonder why they had me there at all. One interviewer was flat out rude and condescending, however I still remained professional. The HR department said they would meet with me at the end of the day and go over how the day went. They did not, in fact HR was non responsive and very hard to contact through out the whole process. I was eventually told weeks later one of the groups was interested, but I had already accepted another offer and would have turned theirs down regardless. If this isn't your only option and you are not desperate I would look somewhere else.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions except for one interviewer who asked questions completely unrelated to software development. Then mocked me when I did not know the answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Baltimore, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Very casual, very laid back. Interviewed with about 4 or 5 people, then lunch, then one more round of interviews for the company's rotational program. Not a demanding interview at all, mostly just interested in experiences from my resume.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral, I wasn't asked anything too technical   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in May 2019.

Interview

I interviewed with 2 groups total but the software development group surprised me with hardly any technical questions and pretty looked to see if I wasn't lying about my resume for the most part.

I first met a project manager of the group who did an overview of what they do. Then twice, I met with 2 people who were part of the team. Both times they asked the same questions which revolved around my personal experience. I only had one real technical question that didn't directly involve my work.

In retrospect I still like how the interview went, I didn't feel pressured at any point.

Interview Questions

• What kind of working environment do you prefer?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

Applied at career fair at my university, about a month later I was contacted by a recruiter to set up phone interviews with a few different groups, a few weeks later I had an onsite where I met with multiple groups over one day.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in March 2018.

Interview

The time from application to interview was very fast (72 hours). The interview process was long but fairly enjoyable honestly. Rotated through multiple people for a fairly relaxed technical discussion about my experience, what the lab did and how those two things fit together. Ultimately had to decline the offer for reasons unrelated to the process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in August 2008.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 groups. There were about 3 - 4 people from each group that I interviewed with for about 30 minutes each. Consisted of a good mix of technical and personality questions. Took a while to actually extend an offer, about a month and a half or so. Several levels of approval are required before anyone is hired on.