Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions in Baltimore, MD | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.5

Senior Bio Statistician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

I received an offer from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. It didn't take me long to think about it and reject it. At best, it can be described as disrespectful.

I conducted the interview at their location in Baltimore, MD. I was supposed to give a presentation but they weren't prepared at all. Four important people didn't show up for the interview. They are extremely disorganized. Everything seems hectic. The people who interviewed me warned from politics inside center and this turns out to be true.

Few weeks later they offered me the job. The number was pretty insulting (less than 74 and more than 65) for someone who has a PhD with many years of experience. Their reasoning was first they don't have the money. Just imagine that JHU does not have enough resources for a reasonable salary. Second, they said the job description requires Master's and thus I should have only applied for PhD positions. They just wanted to take my PhD out of the equation although every one of their scientists team I spoke with stressed out the importance of my Education. When I mentioned that they said well we don't have the money.

I simply rejected the offer. I don't want to work at place that depends on exploiting others. Things are clear for me. If I am over qualified for the position then you should say so from the beginning and reject my candidacy. But saying that I have the necessary qualification to succeed in this job but we will not consider your education means exploitation.

Also, I felt I owe this to Statistics community in JHU. If I accept that poor offer, I would have made it harder to Master's holders to negotiate their salary.

Another tactic you should be aware of, they will always encourage you to accept the job that does have a weak salary and does not respect your education by saying that we will promote you someday to a very exciting position after you get some experience. Be aware of this trap and these empty promises. It is going to take them years before even considering any type of promotion.

I know it is easy to go blind and get too excited when you see a potential to work for a big school. Just be careful and realistic.

Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Nothing to report in this case. The interview process varies from person to person. I took the personal training course, the exam, shadowed other trainers, had a mock training, and interviewed.

Community and Government Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I met with the leadership of the department and discussed my background, experience and goals with them. They explained that the position I was interested in had been filled but they were very open and encouraging about the possibility of another position.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know if I would be willing to accept another position aside from the one I had applied for.   1 Answer

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

I am right now in the middle of applying/interviewing for dozens of companies and so am pretty used to the standard phone screening process. I was pleasantly surprised to be called in for a one-on-one interview with the guy who will/would be my direct supervisor. (As opposed to having a screening call, first.) After emails back and forth regarding day/time, directions, details, etc., we were on a first-name basis and exchange felt comfortable. Gave me a positive impression of how communication would be, were I to become part of the team (Disclosure: I have worked for Johns Hopkins University in the past - completely different part of the organization, different location, etc - and so I don't know if this fact maybe fast-tracked me to a one-on-one interview)

Interview Questions

• Go over your roles, responsibilities, duties, etc at your previous positions/companies   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewed to work for Steve Hanke. He was abrasive but funny. He just asked questions about my resume and my interests in economics. Hardest part was getting in touch with him.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in December 2016.

Interview

Half-day interview process, met with the team at the Baltimore MD homewood campus. Met with multiple groups of people, taken on a tour of the facilities then taken to the actual job location. I was impressed with the casual yet professional nature of the people i met.

Interview Questions

• Relevant questions to the job i was applying for. Past work experiences, why i think i'd be a good fit etc.   Answer Question

Senior Medical Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in November 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty standard. Telephone interview then in person interview. It was a position working for surgeons and it was probably one of the worst interview I went on in awhile. Both surgeons weren't friendly at all. The expectations for the position and what they are paying plus having to work with unpleasant people was not worth it.

Interview Questions

• The doctor had me write how I would type a letter up and I had to get on the computer and
      Make graphs for him as well
      Answer Question

Graduate Admissions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

phone interview, followed by in person interview by director of department, hr, and some staff. required to cover travel expenses on your own

The process was terrible. the managers of the department and hr never spoke and were never on the same page. it felt like completely different conversations each time.
    the posted salary range was not actually at all what they would offer. their offer was based solely on other recent hires, not your background, or potential job. hr was not flexible at all, rude, and condescending. the majors within the department were very good and would have been great to work for. sadly hr completely messed up the experience

Interview Questions

• basic: tell me about yourself, experience in admissions, where do you see yourself in 5-10 yrs   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was swift! I was contacted within two weeks of applying for the position for a phone interview. The phone interview was in a group setting and was more of a conversation than your typical hiring manager interview questions. The explained the position and what was expected from me. I told them about myself and what I was looking to offer and gain from the position. It was followed up with an in-person interview that was more of the same plus a code review.

Interview Questions

• What type of projects have you worked on in the your programming skill set?   Answer Question

Student Monitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

Started with an email requiring me to write back with answers to the questions posed. based on my answers, I was offered the position. I then had to physically meet the employer before signing the employment contract.

Interview Questions

• How I would handle hypothetical scenarios on the job.   1 Answer