Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 8, 2017

2.7

192 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Skype and/or in-person interview with multiple professors, each lasting half an hour each. Time table given in the beginning of the day and follow through with breaks for lunch and lab

Interview Questions

• How do you justify changing your field of study and how will you cope?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

Interview

Very straightforward. Received a call about the position after application.
    I believe that that application and recommendations are the main factors for basic internship offers here. So be sure to send a resume and cover letter that highlights your interests in the specific field and research position you are looking for.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in July 2017.

Interview

Second interview is over. Waiting for call from human resource. Interviewer said it may take 2 to 6 weeks for a call if you are hired. The first interview consisted of assessment tests and interview by human resource person.

Interview Questions

• what are the changes that you want to implement in your pharmacy?   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Long and needs more work in the process. Person on phone was too busy and not present to the meeting so it felt like a waste of time for me interviewing.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

I saw the job ads online and applied. After applying for the position online, HR contacted me first to review my documents. After one month, a phone interview was scheduled and it took 30 mins

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to Johns Hopkins University   1 Answer

Senior Bio Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

I received an offer from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. It didn't take me long to think about it and reject it. At best, it can be described as disrespectful.

I conducted the interview at their location in Baltimore, MD. I was supposed to give a presentation but they weren't prepared at all. Four important people didn't show up for the interview. They are extremely disorganized. Everything seems hectic. The people who interviewed me warned from politics inside center and this turns out to be true.

Few weeks later they offered me the job. The number was pretty insulting (less than 74 and more than 65) for someone who has a PhD with many years of experience. Their reasoning was first they don't have the money. Just imagine that JHU does not have enough resources for a reasonable salary. Second, they said the job description requires Master's and thus I should have only applied for PhD positions. They just wanted to take my PhD out of the equation although every one of their scientists team I spoke with stressed out the importance of my Education. When I mentioned that they said well we don't have the money.

I simply rejected the offer. I don't want to work at place that depends on exploiting others. Things are clear for me. If I am over qualified for the position then you should say so from the beginning and reject my candidacy. But saying that I have the necessary qualification to succeed in this job but we will not consider your education means exploitation.

Also, I felt I owe this to Statistics community in JHU. If I accept that poor offer, I would have made it harder to Master's holders to negotiate their salary.

Another tactic you should be aware of, they will always encourage you to accept the job that does have a weak salary and does not respect your education by saying that we will promote you someday to a very exciting position after you get some experience. Be aware of this trap and these empty promises. It is going to take them years before even considering any type of promotion.

I know it is easy to go blind and get too excited when you see a potential to work for a big school. Just be careful and realistic.

Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Nothing to report in this case. The interview process varies from person to person. I took the personal training course, the exam, shadowed other trainers, had a mock training, and interviewed.

Community and Government Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I met with the leadership of the department and discussed my background, experience and goals with them. They explained that the position I was interested in had been filled but they were very open and encouraging about the possibility of another position.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know if I would be willing to accept another position aside from the one I had applied for.   1 Answer

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online; knew it from the school's weekly email. The process takes about 3 months. Applied around December, got noticed for phone interview around the Begining of February. The interview is an hour long via phone. The interviewer is really nice.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you see two students start fighting in class?   Answer Question

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

I am right now in the middle of applying/interviewing for dozens of companies and so am pretty used to the standard phone screening process. I was pleasantly surprised to be called in for a one-on-one interview with the guy who will/would be my direct supervisor. (As opposed to having a screening call, first.) After emails back and forth regarding day/time, directions, details, etc., we were on a first-name basis and exchange felt comfortable. Gave me a positive impression of how communication would be, were I to become part of the team (Disclosure: I have worked for Johns Hopkins University in the past - completely different part of the organization, different location, etc - and so I don't know if this fact maybe fast-tracked me to a one-on-one interview)

Interview Questions

• Go over your roles, responsibilities, duties, etc at your previous positions/companies   Answer Question