Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 25, 2017

2.6

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in May 2016.

Interview

Three total interviews: one phone and two in person. Relatively straightforward and not too technical. The interview process did take a long time as it took over 5 weeks total, to include each interview and additional screenings.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to meet two deadlines that you could notry meet.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Submit app, phone interview, acceptance/decline email

Review the course you want to sign up beforehand in depth
    Go over basic questions for general interview
    Apply early and have creative answers
    It is a phone interview-so make sure your phone is charged

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at CTY?
      What activity would you have for this class?
      Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in April 2016.

Interview

Phone call interview. We went over everything that was in my resume. Then we went on to discuss my future plans with my life. Then we went through my resume again. She told she was at the very beginning and that if I was chosen she would return my call for an interview. The line of questioning made the phone interview slightly difficult considering that I had to explain a resume in its entirety as if I did not provide one, and she missed and mixed up most of my experiences. Most of the call was spent trying to clarify my resume and the flow and my actual experience despite it being in a one page resume.

Interview Questions

• Why did I come to Baltimore?   1 Answer
    • How do I plan to go to school full time and work full time considering this position would be 8:30-9?   1 Answer
    • Why did I choose John Hopkins and and what are my future plans?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in March 2016.

Interview

Interview was conducted by Skype in early spring. The interviewer asked basic questions about performing the basic functions of the job and appeared to be hoping I would give verbal confirmation rather than evaluating my qualifications as a candidate.

My interviewer did NOT communicate I would only get two days off every three weeks (actually *more* than many of my coworkers!). I found this out only after I had accepted the job and she sent my my contract to sign. This was a problem for me, as I was in a site close to my hometown, and was expecting to be able spent time with my family during the summer, since I've been living across the country from them for the last two years. (In fact, I communicated this to the woman during the interview!) In the end, I only saw them twice in seven weeks.

The interviewer likewise implied this would be an easy office job. Opening week was 12-14 hour days for seven days straight. Keep in mind I had just met all my coworkers, and dealing with that level of stress among coworkers made it far worse. We had two more crunch periods like this at Intersession and Closing. I felt like the interviewer had deliberately mislead me about the nature of the job.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and heard from HR a couple of weeks later offering to set up a 1:1 phone interview. Did the phone interview, very typical questions. Told I would hear back within a week - week and a half, which I did. I was offered a chance to come in for a interview. It was from 12:00-3:30 and took place on two different campuses. The Eastern campus had me sit with HR and go over typical questions.. explain a time when this happened and then had me do a Excel, Word and proof reading test. These were not what I was expecting because you can only perform the task the way the test wants you to, so forget and short-cuts you know. After that I had 30 min to get to the other campus but of course construction blocked the road, this was very frustrating. One guy was sick so I met with 3 people in total, 2 other administrative coordinators who were very nice and the higher up I would be working for. They were all very nice but within a week I received an email that they would be perusing someone else.

Research Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

There was only one round of interview and it went quite well. My potential boss and a peer data analyst interviewed me. Mostly general questions. They were interested in how comfortable I am with analytic software and I elaborated a lot on my relevant experience. The rest of the interview I felt that they were asking many questions to find out what type of person I am. They want to see if I can fit with the rest of the groups. Fun question at the end: if you want to be an animal, what would you be?

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with Stata/SAS and some mobile phone data collection tool?
      What is your level of comfort in using Stata?
      What is your preferred managerial style?
      How do you describe your personal style.
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Smooth. Had a fairly long list of standard questions, some were more unconventional than others. Interviewer was nice, and the atmosphere was relaxed. Director e-mailed a month and a half after I submitted my application and we found a time to Skype. Turnaround time was quick, a couple days.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a student said to another student, "that's so gay"?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in February 2016.

Interview

The process is very long. It includes 2 interviews: one with the immediate supervisor and manager and one with HR Rep. It was very frustrating due to poor communication. I keep giving them information they needed for references and they continued to call a lot trying to get my work references straight. Off never had any place have as much difficulty just checking a reference. But I assumed it was just an indication of their thoroughness. I was wrong.

Interview Questions

• Some of our areas are very dirty. Do you mind getting dirty?   1 Answer
    • Occasionally you may have to unplug a toilet. do you mind unplugging a toilet?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I would ask how the training process would work because I haven't a clue right now. There isn't a good process in place and I feel left out. When I ask questions I feel wrong for doing so. If they aren't clear, don't take the job. I wish I hadn't.

Research Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

After applying online, it took a few weeks for HR to forward on all of the applications/resumes to the hiring department. Once that occurred, I had an initial phone screen with one of the hiring managers. I was then asked to come into Baltimore for an in-personal panel interview (3 individuals). They narrowed down the candidates and had the last few come in again to meet with yet another investigator for a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• General questions about education and prior research experience. Some behavioral questions about ones strengths and weaknesses, how you would handle a difficult situation, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had a few other offers on the table and was able to negotiate my salary upwards (a little).

Library Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Several weeks after applying to another, similar position, I was contacted by HR to set up an in-person interview on campus. The interview consisted of a panel meeting with what I believe was the hiring committee, followed by a discussion with potential coworkers. I had been told that there would be a tour of the department, but was not offered one during the interview. The whole process took about 1 1/2 hours.