Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2017

2.7

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in February 2014.

Interview

The application process is straight forward. Submit a resume and cover letter. If you are selected for an interview, you are asked to submit a lesson plan and then you must discuss the plan in your scripted phone interview. You will be asked many questions about pedagogy and teaching style. You will also be asked about many hypothetical situations in the classroom, including discipline and other conduct issues.

LAN Administrator III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in April 2012.

Interview

Panel interview, multiple people asking questions. Some of the questions were technical, some of the questions were about you as a person. Interview lasted well over an hour. Multiple interviews were needed before a job offer was made. The entire process from interview to hire took six months.

I also had the chance to participate in interviews of new candidates. Many times resumes were skipped over and interviews not offered based on spelling or formatting errors on resume. Technical questions are put into interviews that there is no clear answer.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions mostly.   1 Answer

Senior Research Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in September 2015.

Interview

It was multi-staged. First with HR department; then with the local department looking to employ a candidate. HR interview was more general and broad: tell me about yourself stuff; while local department was more specific to the advertised position and very very thorough. You need to know the meat and onions of how to do the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. How do you interpret diversity?   Answer Question

MSE CBID Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Corvallis, OR).

Interview

Skype interview with Johns Hopkins professor and alumni of the program. Mostly behavioral questions and a few questions about my research experiences. Overall both interviewers were very friendly and easy to communicate with. Near the end they asked some tricky questions regarding the entrepreneurial aspect of the program and its ties to developing countries, which was the most difficult part of the interview

Interview Questions

• How would you apply your past research to a developing country and why?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in January 2011.

Interview

As with many management jobs, there was a series of multiple interviews with a myriad of future colleagues, supervisors, and even subordinates. Both individual and team interviews needed to be utilized due to the sheer number of people with whom we were required to me.

Interview Questions

• What would you say are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not much of a negotiation period. My offer was pretty much a "this is what we can afford to pay you" situation. I was able to move them up a bit, but not a great deal.

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Two interviews - human resources department and hiring department (usually at two different locations). Complete human resources documentation and in some instances software tests.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you would want to work at Johns Hopkins University.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in September 2013.

Interview

First interview was just with the HR representative and included 4 computer tests, proofreading, MS Word, MS Excel, and writing. Interview questions were fairly typical for an HR interview. Was asked to come back for a second interview at the end of this one.
    Second interview was a week later with the Director and an employee who previously held the same position. Was a pretty casual interview. No real grilling or formal questions. More interested in my experience and how it applied to the position. Got a follow up phone call from HR a day or two later for a third interview.
    Third interview was a week after the second and was a group interview that involed the rest of the department, 6 employees. About 3 of the employees had a fair number of questions, others were more quiet. Some felt more formal, others more relaxed.
    Through the entire process, HR was good about sending confirmation emails including the names and titles of all the interview participants.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was too unexpected. The HR questions were more the formal interview type. The rest were more relaxed.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The HR rep asked me about salary in the beginning and they actually offered me more than I initially requested.

Senior Associate Director of Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in October 2012.

Interview

Several initial screenings and phone interviews. Invited me for a full day (9am - 4pm) spent meeting with a dozen or so people at all levels. Felt it went very well. Everyone was very friendly and positive and encouraging. Was very surprised when I was told I was not moving forward in the process, based on my experiences during the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a gift that you didn't close and why it didn't work out.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University in January 2011.

Interview

The interview lasted for two days. I talked with about 20 different people, each one for about 30 min. The people here are generally nice. However, they might ask you some trick questions. The questions differ person by person. I also had to give two different seminars, one about my current work and the other about my future plan.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

First half of the interview was behavioral asking mainly about experiences on my resume. Second half I was asked to answer a few questions on a whiteboard about some signal processing.

Interview Questions

• What does a pulse wave look like in the frequency domain   Answer Question