Johns Hopkins University Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Johns Hopkins University Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewed to work for Steve Hanke. He was abrasive but funny. He just asked questions about my resume and my interests in economics. Hardest part was getting in touch with him.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Johns Hopkins University

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

I went through an initial interview where they asked basic questions pertaining to my fit for the position, which went well. However, when they decided to move me forward they were not clear with expectations for second interview round with the PI, in which case the questions were redundant, being nearly the same as those asked in the initial interview. The interviewer seemed rather disinterested and not eager to ask questions from the start.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in September 2015.

Interview

the interview process was just fine, but the hiring process took a very long time and I wasn't happy about that. The interview process was easy enough to set up, but I had to wait several weeks to be officially paid and on the payroll.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

It was straight forward. I applied, got a response and went for an interview. they concentrated more on my research skills, we went through the research to ensure i was interested in the research topic. the entire process took 2 weeks. It required a lot of paper work.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

General questions about education background, research and intern experience, course project, etc. most of them are behavioral questions. Then they introduced their institution current projects, and work style. They also asked me to submit writing samples and data work after the interview.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Applied online, completed an interview via Skype by two members of the department, and then was interviewed in person by three members of the department. In-person interview lasted about one hour. Date of application to date of offer was very long - over 2 months.

This job was posted without a salary range, unusual for Hopkins.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall. None of the questions were particularly challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hopkins does not pay very well for most positions. I did not get what I requested when I started.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred by my professor because of my outstanding academic background. The interview is relatively easy because my professor already knows what I'm capable of doing. It's basically just reviewing my resume and career path with the details of the projects I'm going to research.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed in two rounds. The first was a general overview of my previous experience, my hobbies, standard questions. The second was a question/answer session about hypothetical situations in terms of data gathering, curricula formation and various other topics. They had me edit some mock teacher guides; we went over my work together after the initial interview.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

I went through a round of interviews there and had an unpleasant experience with an hr person. I could tell she didn't see the value in interviewing me and told me, in fact, that some of the experience listed on my resume was irrelevant. Throughout the interview she never smiled and seemed confused/not open to anything I had to say. She even rated my responses on a numerical scale in front of me, in plain view.

When I was finally declined, the response I received was copy and pasted in different fonts. It was a pretty disheartening experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience in which you had to challenge authority.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) in March 2013.

Interview

Interview involved my speaking with the Principal Investigator of the lab. He was very polite, told me about the lab (I had researched it a bit so we spoke about his research in depth), he gave me a tour and had me meet the other Research Assistant in the lab.