Johnson Controls Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Johnson Controls Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Johnson Controls

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Johnson Controls (Glendale, WI).

Interview

They had me give a powerpoint presentation about my past engineering work. Precarious task considering most of what i have ever engineered is done with very strict confidentiality agreements.

They also try and assess your creativity and eng knowledge to some extent by putting you on the spot. It is somewhat like being grilled in front of a Graduate Review board when you get your MS or Phd. They don't try to learn about you as a person so much as assess your robotic and calculative potential. I am an intelligent and effective engineer, but not always an eloquent speaker and I believe that worked against me a bit. I feel like they want only valedictorian / deans list types here. I found the process quite disappointing, and learned little about any one that interviewed me or the true workings of the company. They skim over answering questions asked by candidates. Overall a bizarre and ineffective interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific situation in which you failed, and how did you move forward?   Answer Question
  • Sketch / brainstorm 5 different possible solutions to this design problem. They give you some parameters and constraints...   1 Answer
  • How do you deal with ambiguity in requirements designing a component or product?   Answer Question

Had high hopes, $$$ was awesome, but I did not have a warm feeling at all from the interview process. Also their CEO Mr. Molinaroli... Read the news. That is all I will mention about that. Lack of Ethical values at the top are a big red flag for me.

Other Interview Reviews for Johnson Controls

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in January 2013.

Interview

2 phone interviews and a in-person panel interview. The asked basic questions regarding experience and the cliche "what would you do if" questions. The phone calls were around an hour each and all the staff that interviewed me was very professional and nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Johnson Controls (Oklahoma City, OK) in July 2016.

Interview

I first submitted my resume and it was about a month before JCI called asking more questions about why I was looking for a job and what pay I expected. Then, two weeks before they called again to set up another interview that would happen in another two weeks. I got into the interview and they took a look at my resume and asked about past jobs and experience with HVAC systems. Questions were not hard. There were no behavioral questions. At the end of the interview they mentioned they would let me know in two weeks whether the news was positive or negative. As of this moment. It has been a month of waiting. I have emailed those whom I interviewed with but there hasn't been any response back. So far the process from application submittal until now has been three months.

Interview Questions

• Tell them a strength and a weakness   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview

I applied online and a couple months later a recruiter contacted me for a phone interview. I called her back and left a message and she never got back to me so I called her once again and we scheduled a interview. A couple weeks later I was contacted by the hiring manager and he gave me less than a 24 hour notice before my interview. He never asked me for my availability and just scheduled it. When I got to the interview, I was asked behavioral questions and the hiring team seemed confused to as why I was there because I majored in electrical engineering. It was a mechanical engineering position but that was never stated in the job description. The manager himself told me my resume was impressive so I was a bit confused. I was told I’ll be contacted for a second interview and they never got back to me. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you failed?
      Talk about your senior project.
      Why did you chose your major?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview

Phone interview was quick and to the point. A few weeks later I had an onsite interview with the same basic questions that lasted maybe 30 minutes followed by a plant tour.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I had experience in performing tasks related to my job title but there was no real prodding for details.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone call interview consisted of questions about my experience and tools I was familiar with. Panel interview was more specific and consisted of more in-depth technical questions. One on one interview format was focused on team work.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer to work alone or with a team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in August 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with hiring manager and a couple of engineers. Thought the company was well positioned for the future, and wanted to proceed further. Did not get a call back, but received a letter thanking me for my time. I would like to interview again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johnson Controls (Houston, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

A phone interview with the HR followed with a personal interview with the hiring manager after 2 weeks. 3 days after that i did the drug test and filled information of my background check. All communication after that was between me the Hiring manager.....I was asked to forward a copy of my ssn card and green card. problem that my green card was in process of being corrected due to error by the USCIS. I tried to convince them many times that it is only a matter of time till i received it. I provided all proofs/documents needed. Yet No response.
    I understand that companies may not want to get into immigration stuff, but HR main job is to get in touch with the candidates if there is any action required from him/her.
    But I really appreciate what all efforts done by the hiring manager in being a conduit between me and the HR, knowing that it is not his job to so.
    Last time i called the hiring manager was when i received my green card, but by that time, I learned that JCI is not hiring right now till the end of the year. joining such a great corporation would have been a great opportunity for me, but maybe i was not meant to work for them at the time being. may bey in the future.

Interview Questions

• All questions were about my background. so all questions will be asked using your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) in November 2011.

Interview

n/a

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Johnson Controls (Plymouth, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

They seemed pretty relaxed about it. I knew my hiring manager before applying, but I was still given a conference call type interview with several levels of management. Pretty standard interview. Lasted for about 25 minutes or so and told me whether or not the answer to each question was good or bad.

Interview Questions

• What is one problem you've faced at a previous experience and how did you solve it?   Answer Question