Justworks Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Justworks Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Justworks

2.5

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Justworks.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a pre-screen with someone who could not have been less interested in talking to me. A quick technical screen with an engineer, which was basically count the characters in a word. The onsite was 4 back to back sessions of interviews. The first session was a coding test. I met with two other engineers. I was pretty frustrated because I had already been told they were language agnostic, but they told me it had to be done in either Java or Ruby. I was pretty frustrated, and I probably should have toned that back.

I wound up writing the answer in ruby, but we spent a lot of time dealing with syntax, instead of solving the problem.

The next pair I met with had me talk through how I would design the MVC portion of a trello like app. It was fun, but a little vague.

The next pair I met with was just general Q&A about the company. Finally I met with the VP of engineering. He seemed like a good guy albeit with too much on his plate.

I didn't find out (although I could guess it) what the outcome was until nearly a week later, when I emailed my contact (who I never met) and she promptly responded with a form letter.

Overall it felt a bit like a meat market, and there was not a real effort to get to know the candidate, and it was tough to get to know the team. It would be nice to have better follow through from the recruiters, and I'd strongly suggest some kind of lunch, instead of sitting in a loud conference room for three hours. It's also really silly to require the coding test in an arbitrary language. The idea is to talk through the problem, not spend time with syntax. From what I could tell, the engineers were a smart and fun group.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of arrays, each having a start and end attribute, determine if the arrays are saturated.   Answer Question

Justworks Response

May 31, 2016 – Recruiter

We're sorry you found the interviewing process this way. We know there's always room for improvement, and your feedback is duly noted. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Justworks

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Justworks (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

A very straightforward, smooth process. Initial contact with HR by email, phone screen with head of the hiring engineering team, in person interviews with many engineers and leads, interview with the CEO. They were very kind when I had to change times on them with short notice, and the offer was extending in a timely, transparent manner. Highly recommended.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Justworks.

Interview

Overall a good experience.
    Brief phone screen with an engineer- talking about my experience mostly.

In person consisted of 3 1-hour sessions with engineering team members (last was VP of engineering). Everyone seems very easy going and ego less- I got the feeling that it would be a very good team to work on. Good mix of senior and junior engineers. Everyone left time for my questions to be answered. I felt the interview was not as tough as I'd like it to be - but then again I am looking for a senior engineer role.

Last round was a quick 30 minute meet with CEO. He is a hands on guy and values transparency.

I have confidence in this team and I would gladly recommend this place to my friends and colleagues.

Interview Questions

Looking for a more senior role.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Justworks.

Interview

Most assuredly the most unorganized, inefficient and overall frustrating interview experience of my career to date. JustWorks severely lacks structure to its interview process and is iterative of the challenges they are having to scale their business model. HR doesn't seem to be involved much in the process and this causes a huge chasm in communication within the business units. A lot of time and resources are wasted in a process that is not clearly defined. The candidate experience seems to be in decline and this is why I turned down the offer presented, as the candidate experience is a purview into the employee experience, one which I do not want to have and will be sharing this experience with my engineer network.

Justworks Response

Feb 17, 2016 – Content Marketing Manager

We're sorry that you found the process that way. We expect our interview process to be transparent and streamlined, and are constantly working to keep it that way. Feedback like this is helpful as we... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Justworks in May 2018.

Interview

Video Interview with 2 people. They Asked basic behavioral question and then started with a coding exercise. Interviewer were pretty nice people. The coding exercise was pretty easy, could complete within time.

Interview Questions

• check if the input bucket array could make a given string.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

HR contacted me through Linkedin. I had a phone round and was invited for onsite. Onsite is 3 rounds - programming, system design, HR. I specifically mentioned to HR that I program in C++ and yet during the interview they asked me to program in Java. Other 2 rounds went well. HR sent a generic reject email and ghosted me when I requested him for feedback

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Justworks.

Interview

I first had a short technical call with one of the senior developers. He was very friendly and asked a pretty easy programming question. After that, they had me come in for 3 rounds of interviews. One of these was a simple programming question, one was a system design question, and the one was behavioral. All of the interviewers were friendly and overall it was a pleasant experience even though I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• There was a simple programming question, a higher level design question, and then some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Justworks (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Overall the interview process was very pleasant. I was more inclined to work here after the interviews. All the interviewers (engineer and non-engineer alike) are very friendly.

- Quick phone interview with the HR representative: non-technical, a few basic questions about you and why you applied for this job. This took less than 15 minutes.

- Phone interview with an engineer: white board coding exercise in any language you choose. Depends on your solution, you may be asked on how you can optimize the code. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most difficult, this exercise' difficulty level is about 3.

- On site interview consists of three parts:
    1. Coding exercise with engineer in any language you choose. The exercise's difficulty level is about 4.
    2. Architecture exercise with engineer and manager. The exercise's difficulty level is about 5.
    3. Cultural fit interview with engineer and product manager.

- Final on-site interview:
    1. Coding exercise with CTO. You are given a code snippet, and you need to explain what the code does.
    2. Interview with a non-engineer. This is more of a cultural fit interview.

Interview Questions

• Coding exercises: string matching, determine if a range is fully saturated
      Non-technical questions: talk about your past projects/work experiences.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Justworks (Redmond, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

The process started similar to what you see everywhere else. HR call, the phone interview. After that they set up the onsite interviews (three 45 minutes technical and culture fit ones), when I asked for travel accommodations they said we are a "frugal company", we only fly you over for the final round and we changed the interview to be over the Skype. We had the the Skype round and they scheduled the actual onsite.
    Again because they are very frugal, for travel accommodations they said that they won't book a hotel room and it's going to be a fly in/out. I asked for direct flights a few times since flying in and out from the west coast is already too much work and lay over makes it worse.
    They booked one stop flights regardless.
    My overnight 10 hour travel on the middle seat (my ticket would not let me change the seats) landed in JFK on schedule at 12:50 pm and I had interviews starting at 2:00 pm which as you'd expect if you have traveled to NY I didn't make it on time.
    I hot there at 2:40 pm and people were a little grumpy that I was late. It turned out that they don't communicate the travel plans internally.
    Exhausted from the travel, I figured out the issue and explained that it was out of my hand.
    I tried to be sharp and energetic by drinking some coffee and talked to Engineering VP that was a very nice person and a product manager that did the culture fit interview.
    My return flight was scheduled in a way that if it was not delayed I would have missed it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Justworks (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

First a telephone HR screen with basic obvious questions about background. This seemed perfunctory and primarily to determine if I was crazy/lied on my resume.

About a week later I did a telephone tech interview with coding on an online whiteboard in my language of choice. Another week later I participated in an onsite interview with coding (again, language of choice) and architecture exercises (DB schema, abstracted 'how to implement this feature').

Finally, a week later I got a meeting with the VP of Engineering.