KB Home Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 7, 2017

2.7

Design Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KB Home (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

I first spoke w/HR gal in California who interviewed me briefly via phone and then set me up to take some online testing in the Phoenix office which I passed. I then had another phone interview after which I was set up to interview at the Design Center where I had two interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the typical interview questions which was actually refreshing because sometimes you are thrown curve balls in interviews. I was impressed by the company and the professionalism of everyone involved. After interviewing at the Design Center I had a feeling that I wasn't going to move on to the next level because I wasn't taken on a tour and I was correct. The company was nice enough to send me an email thanking me for my time.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KB Home (Jacksonville, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

I filled out online application - my friend referred me right as it got posted because she has a connection there. I followed up with almost a two weeks later. When I followed up they asked to come in for an employment screening that day. It was about 40 minutes long all about logic and math. I received an emailed the next morning later asking to come in that day. I gave them my availability for the rest of the week but they were only interested in that specific day because they were trying to make a decision by the next day.

Interview Questions

• Talked about some things the job does, asked if i can work with others then then asked other interviewer in the room if she had any questions and she asked me to tell her about my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at KB Home (San Jose, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

First passed phone interview, second passed test in corporate office, third interviewed at a home site with sales manager. After completing all test I never was contacted and when I called the recruiter, I was told the sales manager was still busy interviewing others. It has been a long time and I believe going through the whole process was a waste of time. At first the calls from the recruiter were fine and the visit to test at the main office far away was also ok. The problem was with the last interview with the sales manager. The situation was unprofessional from the start with him taking a long break when I showed up on time and coming back without his group to complete the interview. The guy never informed me about the important aspects of the position or contacted me, with a yes or no regarding the job. The guy seemed tired and not focused. I should have walked away when I was left waiting for his to finish eating his junk food.

Interview Questions

• How to handle a walk in customer from start to finish, how to fix a problem with the sale, and how to talk to customers that read bad reviews about K.B. Homes.   1 Answer

Land Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KB Home (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter who was almost surprised at how well my credentials fit the position. I had a quick phone interview, followed by an on-site assessment, and a follow up interview. We scheduled a time for my in person interview. I get a call mere hours before that they need to cancel because the person who I need to meet with has the flu. At this point it has already been a good three weeks since I was originally contacted. I eventually had my interview, which I thought went very well. Was called by the recruiter saying I did not get offered a position. Later that night I sent a follow up e-mail thanking her for reaching out and the opportunity to interview. No response.

Interview Questions

• General background questions on experience, pretty straight forward, nothing designed to trip you up or make the experience completely uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at KB Home (Valencia, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was called for an interview by the recruiter. She was very nice and we had a wonderful conversation. She called me back later and I think she forgot we spoke earlier, but said she had more questions. They were the same questions as before, but I answered without saying "we did this already" lol. I took the assessment and passed and then they scheduled the interview with the Manager. Upon meeting her, I didn't like her. She was cold and didn't seem to know about sales process. I also got the immediate impression she didn't like me because I held a previous position which was similar to hers and she wasn't going to hire someone with my credentials. we continued on anyway.

They let me ask some questions at the end, which was a good sign. They mentioned that they are hiring an entire new sales staff. When I asked why so many positions were open, they came up with some excuse about wanting to be ready for the market. However, the manager told me that their quota's for the reps were 1 sale per week, and that wasn't happening. She said she couldn't understand why, but the current sales reps just "gave excuses", so they were looking for people. hmmm, that got me thinking. Then I asked how many people come through communities and where the leads come from. I was told that there wasn't much traffic coming into the communities.

I was also told that they EXPECTED the sales agents to work the standard "office hours" and all hours the communities were open and to be available for that walk in customer. However, they also expected sales reps to be out in the community working with realtors, mortgage brokers, finding their own customers, attending meetings etc...on their own time. And since this was a commission only program, that sales reps were not allowed to close the office if it was closing time and there was someone in the office. Also, because it was commission driven position and sales oriented, sales reps were "expected" to do what it takes to bring in their own business in addition to holding down the fort.

I wasn't impressed with a manager who would speak ill of their current staff to a complete stranger and a prospective employee.

It wasn't a place that I felt they understood sales, respected their employees or behaved very professionally.

Interview Questions

• What are your new year's goals? (Seriously?-this was an interview question? LOL)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at KB Home (San Antonio, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I didn't even apply, I was called by a recruiter that was attracted by my resume and experience. I was not interested in moving forward but upon their insistence for 2 weeks, I decided to go for it.

I show up at the office to complete their 65 question assessment and turned it in. Was told to email my resume and I'd receive a response within the week. Well I was emailed 2 hours later saying I was not selected ("Approved" or "Declined") but wouldn't tell me why. The questions asked are kind of the standard personality, math, percentages, "what your previous boss thinks about you" mumbo-jumbo.

Interview Questions

• What would your previous employer say your personality is like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at KB Home (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Started out with a very sweet and professional recruiter calling for a phone interview. I then, went to their central office and took an aptitude test. Once I passed that, I had to do another phone interview, and then they set me up with an interview with the person who would be the manager of who they were hiring. I drove to the location and was sent home because the person stepped into a meeting even though the planned my interview days in advance. Drove home, (it is a 30 minute drive each way), recruiter called and told me to go back. I get all the way back there and was told to go home again. The recruiter couldn't have been more apologetic. The only thing was, once I finally got to interview with the manager, he wasn't friendly, didn't appear to even want to listen and or ask questions, and never once apologized for not being professional and being there on our planned schedule.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at KB Home in July 2015.

Interview

My experience was good, it moved rather quickly from what I heard comparatively to my peers. I was contacted to go in to design studio for an assessment and was called back while driving home to schedule a interview for the following day. I was told in detail during the interview with Gary and Phil who are both district managers about KB HOME and their training program. After about a week, I was called back by Gary and extended a job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiating , everyone gets paid same for this position.

Purchasing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KB Home (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

When well. took about an hour. Met with with manager who was pleasant. Talked about what they do now and what happened because of the downturn. Said that they are rebuilding the department and splitting off from another Division. Said he was one of the few that was kept on after the series of layoffs. Talked about Purchasing theory and common Purchasing problems.

Interview Questions

• How would I find local subs   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at KB Home (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I was recruited by their own company and it was a very quick process. The recruiter interviews you and asks you questions. If they like you, they set up a time to visit a corporate location and take a 60 question skills test. If you pass the recruiter calls you for a recap and a short interview. From there they relay the information to management and see if they would like to do a panel interview. That's as far as I got.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of example questions about sales techniques and situation/open ended things.   Answer Question