KBI Biopharma Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at KBI Biopharma

2.7

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma (Boulder, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

Process started with a recruiting agency, and was relatively fast, beginning with a 30 minute phone interview followed by an on-site interview 2 days later in front of 8-member research team. Manager greeted me personally and was very nice and genuine for the on-site interview. The team asked me about my resume, no behavioral or personal questions were included.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma (Raleigh, NC) in July 2018.

Interview

Phone interview. Multi-department personnel interviews. Job offer within a week. Most typical questions were asked. Difficult to return questions because you interview with several people in your group. Theyre really looking for you to fill the role they need and fit with their culture. Very kind and professional, slightly laid back with a couple members.

Process Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma (Durham, NC) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from the Director of the hiring group. Since I was a graduate of the same lab as the Director, I was directly called on-site for an interview. I met with the VP, Director, and other scientists in the group. It was very relaxed and questions and not completely technically in nature.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you'd be able to perform in this role?   Answer Question

Process Development Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma (Boulder, CO) in October 2014.

Interview

My resume was passed on to the Process Development Scientist position's hiring manager both by the company wide HR rep and a current employee who I had become acquainted with through a previous company.

I was contacted by the hiring manager, and had a 30 minute phone interview, where the background of the Boulder site was explained to me and I talked about my background.

We quickly proceeded to set up an on site interview. Everything went very smoothly scheduling.

I interviewed at the Boulder KBI site for 3 hours of an afternoon. I talked with about 5 people - an HR rep, the site head, hiring manager, and other scientists and engineers. I was also given a tour of the lab space and production areas. Everyone was very warm, efficient, intelligent, resourceful, and seemed to work hard.

I was given an offer ~1 week after my site visit, and accepted about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions focused on my background, my research experience and industry experience, what skills I knew vs. I would need to pick up on the job. There were also a few questions on Design of Experiments (DOE).   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the offer without negotiation.

Billing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma (Durham, NC) in March 2018.

Interview

Face to Face interview at the KBI office. I spoke with an HR person, an accounting manager and the CFO. I was scheduled to meet with the HR Director but that person was not available.

Technology Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma (Durham, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

Informal. I was recruited by the company to help develop their technology. The company was trying to adapt their technology from bioremediation to biopharmaceuticals, and looking for someone with cell culture and fermentation experience to do the conversion. I saw potential in the technology and was offered the job. My first assignment was to manage the current group in Atlanta and transfer the technology development to NC. The founder of the company and the then CEO were both very supportive of my efforts, and we made rapid progress in the first 2-3 years.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary expectations?   1 Answer

Quality/Compliance Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma.

Interview

Very organized and thorough interview process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma (Durham, NC) in April 2014.

Interview

The interviews were organized by meeting with different scientists and explaining details of your resume and experience deemed relevant to the position. Everyone I met with had very interesting backgrounds (LinkedIn) and were very kind and relaxed about their interview questions. I was shown around the laboratory and asked about my experiences with different pieces of equipment. The employees really care about you as an individual and your capability of growing within their company. I met with HR and was given free lunch.

Interview Questions

• Name different ways proteins can be separated, besides what your experience shows.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is a temp portion of pay that was slightly lower than the actual salary which I negotiated on based on an offer from a previous company. KBI will not match salaries of other biopharma companies such as Biogen, but their benefits make up for it by leaps and bounds. I was given an offer from Biogen-Idec and had to give KBI a deadline based on their offer and they were able to give me an offer quickly.

Downstream Process Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma (Durham, NC).

Interview

The interview panel was a bit unorganized. One of the panel members was on vacation and instead of sliding the subsequent interviewers up, they had me sit and wait around for 30 minutes until the next person arrived on site. Most questions were relatively easy. One individual was a bit aggressive and proclaimed that he was going to "quiz me", and proceeded to ask questions that were not relevant to the job function. Need to know your hourly rate/salary for interview; HR was very aggressive and would not let me leave without giving some "indication" of salary. HR also neglected to ask about my current total and guaranteed compensation (yearly bonus, merit bonus, 401k, health benefits), and in turn the offer was offensively low. Note: KBI does not currently offer yearly bonuses to non-managerial staff. HR seems to be naive to current industry salary/compensation standards and was unwilling to negotiate.

Downstream Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at KBI Biopharma.

Interview

Two 30-minute phone interviews. On-site interview was about 4 hours total. Started with a tour then interviewed 7 people in succession (with one double interviewer). It was a bit unorganized, as another reviewer stated. There was a time gap because they double booked one of the interviewers during a meeting, so I had to stand outside his office for 15 minutes. Another interviewer was replaced at the last second.

Interview was easy. Typical questions (why are you interested, do you have experience with X,Y,Z from the job description, greatest strengths/weaknesses).

It was a bait-and-switch, however. The position was Downstream Manufacturing Engineer, but at least they were up-front about telling me that it was actually a Project Engineer position until they "hired more staff."

I expressed disinterest in this bait-and-switch during the HR interview and that I didn't believe in vague promises of "hiring more staff" to alleviate the excess workload expressed by the interviewers...but it didn't seem to compute to him. Whatever. All of HR's answers to my questions were completely canned answers--don't expect anything useful from them.

I didn't contact them afterwards and they didn't contact me.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experiences with X,Y,Z (from the job description)   Answer Question