KIPP Foundation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 8, 2017

3.3

ESL Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (Camden, NJ).

Interview

Long and fairly impersonal process. Online application, video interview which was lame, phone interview next, then finally face to face. Process took from June 22 - August 10th. Tons of wait time between steps and then emails.

Interview Questions

• To what do you attribute the achievement gap in students from affluent v. poor communities   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

I was "poached" for an interview in New Orleans after nearly a year and a half of KIPP emailing me and telling me "how amazing" they have heard I am as a teacher. I declined an interview initially because I was out of state. They contacted me 6 months later, and I agreed to interview with them or have more of an informal chat, since I did not apply for anything. The initial phone conversation was with someone in HR who did not look at my resume prior to our scheduled appointment. She said, "You don't have classroom experience, correct?" In fact I had 7 years of classroom experience. After a disjointed conversation, she said she was going to, "create a position for me, because I'm so AMAZING." I was hesitant, but asked her to send me a job description once she had it. The HR woman also suggested I get a (second) Masters, which KIPP would pay for.

The second "interview" was with the principal of the school that the woman in HR referred me to. At the start of this conversation, I still had not seen an official job description. The principal acted as though this was a formal phone interview. He asked, "What club or activity would you like to start to promote leadership?" I told him that would be based off of a needs assessment of the children, and I'd have to meet with them and see what their interests were before I could answer that.

He also wrote that I don't have experience with large groups of middle school aged students, when KIPP themselves said they needed me to teach middle school. Another comment he wrote, "Many of her questions surrounded workload and structure/logistics. Didn’t seem to ‘jump’ at the opportunities for autonomy/flexibility and our ‘find a way or make one’ philosophy."

My questions were about workload and logistics because I've heard KIPP teachers spend 80 hours working a week for about 50K a year. If by autonomy/flexibility he meant, "Living, sleeping and breathing work," and if by 'find a way or make one,' he meant, "Make stuff up and don't voice any concerns," then he certainly made the correct decision in not hiring me.

The principal said he'd call me back within a week, and never did. I asked him to send a job description and he never did.

Two weeks later, I emailed him to follow up on my request. He wrote that I did not get the job. When I asked him why, he wrote that he respects that I want to know how to do better on an interview. He then emailed all the questions he asked me, and all of my responses. His notes included that I "didn't have initiative," because I didn't have an idea for a "leadership section" of his class of students I haven't met, for a job that I knew mostly nothing about, for a Foundation that begged me for years to teach for them.

This was the most colossal waste of time, resources, and money that I can imagine. If you are going to constantly badger someone to interview with you, then offer them something wonderful.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation.

Interview

Applied Online. Had a twenty minute phone interview. It was clear the interviewer had not looked over my resume before interviewing me. Questions were asked in a robotic manner and it was awkward having to carry on the conversation.

Art Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation in July 2017.

Interview

I submitted an online application and heard back fairly quickly from the school. I had one 30-minute long phone interview with the Talent Recruiter. She was very positive, helpful, and easy to have a conversation with. Ultimately, I did not get a job offer, as they were looking for someone with more experience.

School Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation.

Interview

I finished a online application and then i got an email with a link for online video recorded interview, which was about an hour and a half
    The interview had different sections and mostly school social work scenarios. The questions were a little bit confusing

Anonymous Employee in Forrest City, AR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (Forrest City, AR) in June 2017.

Interview

It was very professional and direct. I really enjoyed our conversation. The interviewer was polite and very easy to talk with I was extremely impressed. I would definitely recommend this job

Interview Questions

• What were my goals and expectations   1 Answer

Teacher, Secondary School Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone screen, then email introduction to school leader. Then had video interview directly with school leader, followed by a visit to the school and demo lesson. After the demo, there was a lesson debrief, in-person interview questions, and time to see other classes. I appreciate longer processes like this because accepting is a huge committment and the up-close look is priceless.

Interview Questions

• Rate your classroom management style on a level of 1-10 (1 being a pushover, 10 being Matilda's warden.)   Answer Question

Lead Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation in April 2017.

Interview

It was a straight forward interview process, just LONG and SLOOOW. It started with a 45 minute phone interview, and then I sent in a few sample lessons. After waiting so long I thought they forgot about me I was offered an in person interview. After another month of waiting I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think students are considered at risk? What makes a student at risk?   Answer Question

Lead Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation.

Interview

phone interview with the principal then a school visit - they asked traditional interview questions, toured campus, met staff and students, students told me about the school, taught a sample lesson, critiqued my lesson, got feedback and then a call from the principal

Interview Questions

• What was the strongest part of your lesson?   1 Answer

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (Newark, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

There was a preliminary phone call interview, a sample course plan I had to write, and a paid in-person interview at the school where I would work, including a 20 minute sample lesson to about 20 students.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for KIPP, specifically KIPP NJ?   Answer Question