KIPP Foundation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

KIPP Foundation Interview Questions

Interviews at KIPP Foundation

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (Columbus, OH) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was long but organized and pleasant. I had 2 phone interviews before I was invited for the 3rd and final interview. I interviewed with the talent recruiter (HR) for about an hour then about a week later I had another phone interview with the principal. The following week I was invited for a campus tour, to do a mock lesson plan with 25 students and a final meeting with the principal. The whole process was an hour and about 30-40 minutes. The lesson plan was 25-30 mins long. A few teachers, the recruiter, and principal sat in on the lesson. I was sent a full agenda and additional info before my campus visit. Everything was so organized.

Interview Questions

• Describe your best qualities as a teacher?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (Newark, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

All applicants for KIPP across the country must apply through a general portal online. You can send your application to as many KIPP regions as you would like. Then from there you might have a phone interview. After the phone interview you may be asked to come to the school site for a sample lesson and in person interview. At KIPP:NJ, two more phone interviews were conducted after the sample lesson/in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in urban education?   2 Answers

Lead Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation in April 2017.

Interview

It was a straight forward interview process, just LONG and SLOOOW. It started with a 45 minute phone interview, and then I sent in a few sample lessons. After waiting so long I thought they forgot about me I was offered an in person interview. After another month of waiting I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think students are considered at risk? What makes a student at risk?   Answer Question

Lead Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation.

Interview

phone interview with the principal then a school visit - they asked traditional interview questions, toured campus, met staff and students, students told me about the school, taught a sample lesson, critiqued my lesson, got feedback and then a call from the principal

Interview Questions

• What was the strongest part of your lesson?   1 Answer

Lead Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation.

Interview

Filled out application. Invited to complete prerecorded interview. Invited to open house to tour school and listen to experiences of current leadership and teachers. Received rejection letter. The experience seemed promising but there are many qualified candidates so if you are not already a teacher it may be tough to prove better than others.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something about you that we would not know about your resume?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell us about a time you attempted to teach something and it didnt go as planned? What would you have done to change the results? What would be the expected outcome?   Answer Question
    • Why kipp?   Answer Question
    • What is the most important determinant of a students success?   Answer Question
    • Name challenge that you had to overcome in your profession or journey? Wha   Answer Question

Lead Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation in February 2019.

Interview

I applied to jobs at several different KIPP schools, all of which have similar steps in the application process. Some of them have you do a recorded video interview first (where you record your answers for the camera and send them in) and some of them skip that and require a phone interview with an actual person. If you make it past that round you send in a video of yourself teaching in a classroom and then (assuming they like it) receive an invitation to fly out to their school.

The fly-out is required for the interview process but there is no financial assistance. Once there, you tour the campus and have several interviews with various administration members before teaching a short practice lesson in front of the hiring team.

I think the most important thing is to demonstrate commitment to their goals and to ending educational inequity.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you failed a child   Answer Question
    • What are the causes of the achievement gap? Knowing this, what can we do to narrow it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (Newark, NJ) in January 2017.

Interview

- Online Application through the KIPP Foundation Job Site
    - Phone Interview
    - Video Submission (required for some schools)
    - In person interview including Sample Lesson (predetermined when offered an in person interview) Sometimes the interview is 1:1, other times it is with a panel
    - Offer

Interview Questions

• Why KIPP?
      Why Urban Education?
      What is your Classroom Management Styles?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied through KIPP's very useful online application venue, and submitted my application to 8 KIPP regions. KIPP NYC was one of the regions that contacted me for a phone interview, about 1-2 weeks later. I spoke with their recruitment coordinator for 30-45 minutes two days after they reached out to me. I heard back from KIPP the next day with an offer for an in-person interview and sample lesson at their campus.

KIPP interviews are rigorous by the standards of most industries. I met with the recruitment coordinator, then entered a classroom to deliver a 50-minute sample lesson, where I was observed by 5 teachers and school leadership. Following the lesson, I was interviewed by 6-7 members of the school community (including all of the teachers/administrators who evaluated my lesson). I finished the interview with a conversation in the office of the assistant principal for the science department.

Interview Questions

• The sample lesson in a classroom full of students you don't have rapport with is always difficult.   Answer Question

KIPP NYC was my dream job; I had to turn down for personal reasons.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

Well I applied and in 24 hours I recieved an email for an video interview. I thought it would be difficult but it was not. The recruiter was v3ery friendly and nice. She asked some pretty straight forward questions and I thought I gave straight forward answers.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to teach at KIPP?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at KIPP Foundation (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

After filling out a lengthy online application that included multiple essay questions, I was emailed to do a video interview. You have to download an app on your phone to do the interview. You can also do it on a computer, but my laptop is very old, and I was afraid it wouldn't work well. It was difficult to set up the phone in a good position, and it films you trying to advance the program after each question, which looked awkward. The app lets you do a practice question and see your filmed response, but you aren't able to watch your actual interview responses before submission. Being filmed made me really nervous, so it was difficult for me. They recommend you maintain eye-contact with the camera, and when I watched my practice answer, I could see there were moments where I wasn't looking at the camera. While trying to answer the questions, I was worrying about looking at the camera, trying not to use filler words, and trying to smile in addition to thinking of good answers and worrying whether or not I was saying enough in response to each question. I normally feel confident in my interpersonal skills, but after watching my practice recorded response, I was a bit discouraged by how I appeared on camera. I found the video interview to be more stressful than an in-person interview, although it was nice to be able to interview from my home.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my strengths as a teacher, where I see myself in 5 years, my experiences working with students in underserved communities and why I want to work at KIPP. They also gave me an opportunity to mention anything else I may want to add.   Answer Question