KIPP LA Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP LA Public Schools (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online through a recruitment website. 3 weeks (10 later they called to set up a phone interview. After answering questions about my background and teaching style, they listened to my questions, and the next day I received an email setting up my panel interview and mini lesson for Monday, 10/2. Those went well and I was offered the position the day after.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation with a student who gets angry and storms from the classroom?   2 Answers

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP LA Public Schools.

Interview

A recruiter named Jake reached out to me about the opportunity and I applied. Soon, I had a phone interview with him to discuss the position and he asked mostly behavioral questions, and not much about my experience. Then at the end of the call, he sent me a performance task in which I had to create a presentation for the onsite interview. After I sent it in, I waited about 3 or 4 days before they got back to me and said they wanted to bring me in. Everyone was very nice throughout the process but I was surprised how many panel interviews I had to go through. At the end of the interview, I think I met around 9 or 10 people total. But it didn't feel like it was a strenuous experience. There were some repeat questions between panels so it helped me practice.

Then about a week later, my manager called and offered me the job! I was very impressed how fast and efficient the entire process was. Jake is amazing. He explained everything so well and his outgoing personality made me less nervous during my interviews and it was really easy to talk to him. I think talking to someone who was so committed to KIPP's mission made me want the job more. Overall, awesome experience!

Lead Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KIPP LA Public Schools (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Online application>Phone interview>Online Questions and recorded video interview>video interview with principal>on campus interview w/sample lesson> interview with teacher panel>offer

Long process but very doable. Make sure you do your research on the school you are applying to and be prepared to ask questions.

Leadership Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KIPP LA Public Schools.

Interview

Phone interview, video interview, in person interview, sent in a teaching video, followed up multiple times via phone. The in person interview was from 7:30 in the morning to 5:00 at night. I interviewed at 2 schools. 1 school didn't even bother to get back to me. The other school offered me a teaching position. (I've been an assistant principal for 2 years). They schedule an hour and a half phone interview to talk through next steps, and was off the phone in 1 minute after hearing that I didn't want a teaching position. For investing more than 20 hours of my time in various interviews and videos and phone calls, a 1 minute rejection call was pretty low.

Interview Questions

• Role play about school bullying, teacher coaching, scenarios, etc. Panel interviews, lesson demos, lesson videos, ALOT was required.   Answer Question

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KIPP LA Public Schools (Houston, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

It went very well. I was very comfortable talking with the person who interview me. She was very straight forward with her questions. She allow me to take my time and even discuss her first interview as a first year teacher. She gave me a tour of the school. And I also was introduce to some of my co-workers. The interview experience itself was good.

Interview Questions

• What made you apply for KIPP Public Schools?   1 Answer
    • Why did you want to become a teacher?   1 Answer
    • Why do special education teachers need to work well with others?   1 Answer
    • Is there any kind of student you would find it difficult to work with?   1 Answer
    • How do you imagine a typical day in a class? What would we see if we come in the middle of the lesson?   1 Answer

Operations Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KIPP LA Public Schools in August 2017.

Interview

Had a very pleasant phone interview. Thought it went well and interviewer said he was going to send his notes to the hiring manager and I would here from them either way in about a week. Never heard anything back even after following up. Lead me on and kept me waiting for nothing.

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KIPP LA Public Schools (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Received a call back a few days after submitting my application online via the KIPP website. The initial phone screen consisted of a few basic questions regarding the experience listed on my resume. At the end of our call, we scheduled a time for me to complete a Performance Task. Once I received it via email, I had a few hours to complete the project and return it to them via email. Then almost a week passed before I heard back from them with an offer to come in for an in-person interview at the main KIPP office in LA. This was where things started to fall of the rails. During the in-person interview, I met with two folks from business operations. One of the two interviewers was on her phone throughout the entire interview typing emails, replying to texts, and even checking social media at one point. It was so disrespectful I almost stood up and left in the middle of the interview. If she didn't have the time to sit in on the interview for 30-45 minutes and focus on the prospective employee in front of her, she shouldn't have attended. The other interviewer was very respectful, attentive, and had great questions for me and answered many of mine about KIPP. At the end of the in-person interview, I was told I would receive next steps within a few days, and the next week I received an email saying that someone else was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• It’s April 15th and you need to move your whole school on June 16th. You currently operate out of two campuses. The last day of school for students is June 9th and the last day for teachers is June 14th. Create an outline of a plan for the move. Include what needs to get done in the next 2 weeks and next 2 months. Include a list of any other information you will need to complete your project plan.   Answer Question

Admin Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KIPP LA Public Schools (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Very thorough process including meeting with many people. Be prepared for a rigorous process with unexpected twists and turns. They are looking for knowledge, competency and flexibility. Everyone was friendly, but it was not easy.

Talent Acquisition Manager Interview

Interview

I applied with my resume via Indeed. After applying, I was contacted a few days later and asked to complete a video based interview, which I finished that night. The following morning, I was contacted by a recruitment coordinator to schedule an in-person interview. Before the interview, I had to complete and submit a task - consisting of responding to a sample candidate email and then going through all 6 of their social media platforms and critiquing them.
    For the in-person interview, I met with some members of their HR team first. After that, I met with the recruitment coordinator and the team's director. Both the director and the coordinator came into the interviews with their laptops, they said they were going to review my task. Rude - if you ask the candidate to submit a task before their interview appointment, give yourself the time to review it in advance. I also was turned off by the fact that they kept asking me for ideas to improve their social media platforms, it felt like they were just trying to steal my ideas rather than gain insight on how I would improve their overall business.
    After completing all of those steps, I never heard back. Not even an email to know they were moving on to other candidates. As an experienced recruiter, that's a huge concern. If they can't make time to follow up with candidates who have expressed interest in the position and completed multiple steps in the process, imagine how they treat their employees. Overall, I had an incredibly unprofessional experience. I would not recommend this company.

School Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at KIPP LA Public Schools (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

It was comfortable, warm and inviting, felt confident when answering. Questions were self-explanatory. Interview process was short but straight to the point. I was asked certain scenarios and had to respond how I thought fit.

Interview Questions

• where do I see myself within a year?   1 Answer