KLA-Tencor Applications Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 30, 2017

3.3

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KLA-Tencor in February 2016.

Interview

I applied to kla tencor through an employee referral. Got a call from the hr and he talked a lot about the role and what would be expected of me if i took the job. I was pumped about the job because it matched my skillset. I didn't hear from the hr for over a month and then he scheduled my on site interview. I interviewed with 5 other candidates. The interview started with a presentation by one of their diriectors introducing us about the company and what it did. Then we had to learn image processing algorithms mostly related to comparing images and drawing a histogram to show which algorithm was better and why. Then we had 6 one on one interviews with managers from each of the app dev team.

Interview Questions

• Resume Specific questions and brain teasers.... they take the brain teasers seriously... i didnt prepare for them   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for KLA-Tencor

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KLA-Tencor (Milpitas, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met up with 5 other potential candidates in Milpitas and had lunch with interviewers while listening to a KLA-Tencor introduction presentation. We were then split up to have individual 30 minute interviews with the Apps development hiring team. They asked basic team-based scenario questions and some estimation questions to see how well we can think on our feet. One of the interviewers tested us to see if we could come up with methods to determine if there are defects in a picture, assuming we are given the original picture as a basis.

Interview Questions

• How many gallons of gasoline are used every week in San Jose, CA?   1 Answer
    • If I have a box 2m x 3m x 6m filled with quarters and then I stack the quarters, how tall will it be?   1 Answer

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KLA-Tencor.

Interview

The interview process was relatively easy. I had applied in college, and the recruiter was flattered that I had taken the time to find out what the company did and my potential role. I was informed that most students don't even take the time to research any information. First interview was on-campus. Second interview was on-site. They started with a tour of the pilot lab, then proceeded with different phases of the interview with different managers. Some tested problem solving ability with a string of basic logic questions, while others tested problem solving ability related to the work at hand. One technical interviewer made sure that you actually knew everything that you had included on your resume (e.g., definitions, in-depth questions about your experience). And, of course they tested some emotional intelligence.

Interview Questions

• What is a scanning electron microscope and how does it work?   Answer Question

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KLA-Tencor.

Interview

The hiring process is very long. They take you through several rounds of interview and conclude the process with several presentations. This is a very important position in that company and so you should be able to sell yourself well.
    They quiz you with some image processing problems which can be answered with some common knowledge. They give you problems which can be solved by using some technical algorithms. They have a technical round where they quiz you on your majors. The questions depend upon who interviews you. It is just the same team members quizzing you on your major's subject.

Interview Questions

• Image processing algorithm based questions were difficult during the time of my interview. But later when I thought about it, it was not unsolvable without prior knowledge in that subject. Need to be very analytic.   Answer Question

Negotiation

campus recruit

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KLA-Tencor in October 2014.

Interview

My resume was passed along by a colleague who works at KLA-Tencor. I got a call by a recruiter out of the blue who proceeded to give me a somewhat rigorous technical interview (which was hard because I had no time to prepare), and it went so rough I honestly thought I would not get a call back. Nonetheless, I was invited for an on-site interview about two weeks later. It consisted of 5 half-hour interviews with different people on the Applications teams. Talked a lot about the nature of the position, since it required 50% travel. They were nice people but constantly interrupted the interview to take phone calls.

Interview Questions

• How would you develop a SEM technique for detecting structural defects in a sample? 27 balls puzzle.   Answer Question

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Interview

email to me to see if we can have phone interview, then got a call from them. have little bit discussion

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KLA-Tencor (Milpitas, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Two days long. Lot of algorithms and white board sessions on coding, engineering principles. Some of the interviewers where junior engineers who have been with the company less than 6 months. But smart set of people.

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at KLA-Tencor.

Interview

Met the HR personnel in Information Session. The first email was about answering some questions. Got a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later. The interview was mostly about my resume and some regular questions, though having a hard time trying to understand the accent.

Interview Questions

• What do you mean by company culture?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at KLA-Tencor (Milpitas, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

A phone screening, followed by a half day onsite and a final phone interview.

The interview is intended to be stressful and force you to think on your feet. The types of tests and curve balls can vary from making a speech without prep, solving riddles or being asked subjective personality questions with seemingly no right no answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a CMOS transistor, draw a diagram on the board and explain how it works   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KLA-Tencor (Milpitas, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter after submitting my resume at a university job fair. A phone interview was set up with a senior member of the group. The interview consisted mainly on explaining why I wanted to work in industry and with KLA-Tencor, explaining my research, and some behavioral questions. The interviewer also described the position and what would be expected of me.

After a few days I was invited for an on-site interview. The interview ran half a day, 8-12. A short presentation of the company was given, and then we (there were about 8 of us) had 1-1 interviews with 8 people. Questions were once again mainly behavioral, with a couple of estimations and a skills test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate, as this was my first job and had heard that they are not very open to negotiation. The compensation was fair, so this was ok.